1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it 'OKAY' to PM an Owner about Selling a doll they had NO intention to sell?

Aug 2, 2007

1. Personally, if anyone messages me and asks to buy a doll of mine (that is not currently for sale) and I do not have a pre-established friendship with that person, he/she goes on my 'do not deal with, ever' list. Why? My collection is above all else /mine/. It is not a retail shop meant for browsing and bargaining. Asking me where I bought a certain doll or an outfit or a pair of eyes? That's fine. Picking up my doll (my first and most favorite doll) at a meet and in a snide 'I'm doing you a favor' tone saying 'maybe I'll buy this one from you someday'? Good luck getting asked back to a meetup I'm holding.

2. I wouldn't like anyone to PM me about selling a doll unless I specifically sated that I was going to do so. As InvisibleWings said,asking about where I got a doll or their outfit/accessories is fine. If you try to convince me to sell a doll or badger me about it you will be on my "no-no" list. I personally think it's rude and inconsiderate to the owner of the doll.

3. Definitively no.
      That happened to me twicw by the same person. First I told I wasn't interested in selling and told him place he could look for.Second time, the same person apologises for insisting but he wanted that doll so much.
      Are you serious?
      I didn't bother answering and would have complained if I was asked thrice. For me that bordered on rude.

4. ohh no way, sooo incredibly rude.

i'm also part of communities based around the old 90's PF Magic games petz & babyz & we all have our own families of unique dogz/catz/babyz & it's the biggest no no in the world to ever ask someone for one of theirs! it's THEIRS!

& that's only a pixel pet; i can't even fathom the balls you must need to have in order to ask someone to sell you their beloved doll that they paid so much money for & obviously adore, oi vey!

5. Never had this problem before, im safe . But i don't like that thoes people either, especially people who wanted what i bought, pm-ed me they want to buy my purchase, it wierd that people think that they can get their way... i don't owe them a living =w='

6. It likes that you must give them something only because they like it. This really annoyed me. So it's not polite. I'm very against it.

7. It's a fast way to make an enemy out of me. And when you make an enemy out of me...It's not pretty. When someone loses my respect all else besides a curse word becomes associated with them in my head. If someone PM'd me out of the blue asking to buy one of my dolls even if I've stated time and time before how much I love this doll or how I'm so excited to do this or that for it I would tell them flat out no and report them. I don't have time to deal with an idiot when I deal with a lot of them just on DeviantART alone. I don't need it in the hobby that relaxes me the most.

8. personally i think it's a rude offence and i would get offended, people who do that kind of stuff tend to think that they can own the world just by offering money, they forget that some things have a value that goes beyond monetary. if it's not for sale, then don't ask!

9. I don't think they should do it, especially if they're going to start nagging when the owner says no. I certainly wouldn't ever dare to ask. It'd be better to ask them how they obtained the doll or just saying nothing and continuing to look for one that IS up for sale or trade.

10. Personally I don't think that is bad, it is just question, maybe because this person is in love with a mold that is really rare, or maybe because he is newbie and he don't have any idea for found the doll. I don't think that it is a problem, obviously if after the 'No, sorry etc.' still asking something like 'but please' or 'and now?' this is bad. I have received some PM on Flickr regarding this, for me this is not a problem by the way it is only a question poor guy/girl~~>3<

11. well, when we are talking about something so special as BJDs i think that, as some people said before could be considered quite rude, specially with the " i like your doll and i want it" type of attitude, one really bounds with its dolls and getting someone coming kind of not caring about the feels you might have for them, hmm... it can indeed be quite unpleasant, specially if they come offering a quite low amount for them, something that is even worst.

12. Normally I would say NO, but im wondering if it is ok in this situation?

Seller has several salesposts in dolls, wigs and eyes section, all stating "leaving hobby", but does not have the specific doll im interested in listed.

Would it be ok to pm and ask if said doll is also going to be sold?

13. Lol people do that? Thats incredibly tasteless. I don't think thats okay at all.

14. The super scary thing about this all, is I never thought it would happen to me -- I really didn't see this issue as a "common occurrence", but !!

I was shocked when 2 different people asked me this, both of them are collectors, and one had sold me a doll before and then they wanted to buy her back.

Did I think it was rude? Yes, especially the second time it happened with a different friend of mine who wanted to "buy back" a doll I bought from them.

But it's not just rude, for me, it was really embarrassing. And kind of devastating. I felt really embarrassed by the tactlessness of them asking me, and 2 people have done it now, too.

I think it might be equally embarrassing for everyone, I had to tell these people "Noooo....um, she's mine, why would I do that?" and they just didn't know what to say O.O

I think sometimes, people don't expect to get "no" as an answer -- why would they ask if they didn't think it was a possibility, I suppose? So I think my friends were humiliated, too, because in the end, they got egg on their face, as the saying goes....

It's not polite, and I used to think it was just a "rude" situation. Once it happened to me did I realize that the whole "can I buy your doll" thing was also pretty belittling. I felt bad about myself. I can't explain it, it was just so awkward :<

15. honestly... if i was saying somewhere online that "yeah i got this new doll but we're not really bonding" or something like that and a person contacted me about possibly buying that doll from me i would probably understand...

but recently someone asked me if they could buy my DZ Mo Akira using the excuse "you have two DZ Mos with the same face so i was wondering if i could buy the one with red eyes from you since i think he looks so cool and you dont need two dolls with the same face."

... forgive me but it even says on my profile that they are my TWINS... and i got them to be indentical ON PURPOSE... and akira is my friggin baby (hell all my dolls are my babies) and that someone would have the gall to tell me that i "dont need" something when they dont even know what theyre talking about...

well needless to say i was furious for hours after reading the message, i mean yeah its not like they can somehow magically steal my doll all i had to do was say no but the mere idea that there was really someone out there so obnoxious as to ask such a rude question... it just blew my mind!

16. If I were in your shoes, I would have the irresistible urge to buy a third DZ Mo with identical faceup, then send a link to the box opening to this person, with the note, "I thought you'd like to see the newest addition to my family. I love them so much I decided I needed triplets!" There would be such a perverse sense of satisfaction in doing so!

17. I think asking to sell doll that is not on sale is just plain rude...
      My girl is very important to me and I would feel offended by such questions.

little-reisuke you sould really have triplets

18. Is it 'OKAY' to PM an Owner about Selling a doll they had NO intention to sell?
      ANS: Its not okay for me to pm an owner about selling a doll they had no intention of selling.

Would you as an owner report the person, or have your own way of dealing with it?

ANS: I will. As rules stated, but i will only report if they keep bugging me about it, afterall, people deserves a 2nd chance. If they stop pm-ing me or apologize, i wont be so mean to report them.

19. Wow, I have to say I am very surprised by people's feelings and reactions on this subject.

Although the idea of someone out of the blue just making an offer for X amount would offend me, I see nothing wrong with the "I'm a big fan of your doll, and if you ever decide to sell him/her, please keep me in mind" idea.

I've done it myself in the past in hopes of not missing a doll I love (as I'm not a very active poster, and also not a dollfie stalker as such, and I actually missed my dream doll for it...) and I've been very flattered when someone has asked me.

I think its nice to know that your doll is loved as they are, and has a good place to go, if you ever find yourself in the tragic situation of having to sell him//her

In fact, more so than posting a FS thread, where there is a fair chance your doll will be wiped, taken apart and perhaps even ruined, in my past experiences.
      I definitely take it more of a compliment than an insult - I'd be proud of being able to create something that inspires that sort of feeling.

20. @ sakuraharu & Yarlina:

yeah i actually almost did buy a third DZ Mo MSD... but then i decided i wanted to get a DZ Mo SD head and make my third one a big boy!!!

and i have saved that person's message so that when i do get my SD mo boy with the same face i can show him off to her, cus im a brat like that LOL! :P

also @ TheGrey:

and yeah i myself have told someone, while im not telling you you should sell your doll, if you ever do for any reason i am absoluetly in love with it and because you love me please let me get first dibs because i will love her to death and you know it!