1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

is it okay to replicate a limited costume?

Jul 9, 2006

1. I believe, replicate it for your own use is alright. I, too want to have some long gone limited clothes but never have a chance to own one. However, the big problem is my sewing skill is at zero point, have no idea how to make those delicate stuffs for my own self TvT;;;

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

2. i think if replicate stock outfits or mass production outfits ar ok
      but no gd for reolicate designer clothing

3. well, i frequently replicate my own outfits or clothes/dresses I saw in some films... i think it's alright. As regards actual dolly clothes... depends - if you just get inspired - it's fine, I guess. but if you copy-copy it... not so much anymore ;)

4. As long as you say who inspired you and don't take credit for the design, I think it is ok.
      I get inspired by the outfits made by Wimukt on Etsy. I did buy one outfit, but they are too expensive for me, though I would LOVE to have them all.
      I don't copy them exactly, but I do take inspiration from them and make clothes for my own dolls with a style similar to hers. I would not copy them exactly because I don't have the same fabrics she uses, and I would feel funny about it too. I would definitely give criedit to her for the inspiration if I posted pics of my outfits which were inspired by her.

5. It's hard to copy an outfit so well that it can be mistaken for the original, because as others have said, you don't have the patterns, and all the materials and trims and such would be hard to match exactly to the original. So it's going to look different no matter what you do.

If it's just for yourself, you are fine. Usually copying is a problem when it involves making money--or rather--making money that the original designers will not get because of you. And also, mis-representing something as original so that a buy is defrauded because they are paying you, thinking they are buying the original. It might be good to mark the inside of your outfit, if it might be mistaken some day down the road, for the original. It's like, an artist can copy the Mona Lisa in order to practice painting. But if they try and sell it as DaVinci's original, they are breaking the law (although most people would figure THAT painting couldn't be the original--but you know what I mean--passing it off as an expensive original by a famous artist is called "art forgery" and against the law).

ETHICALLY-- here's where you worry about things that aren't necessarily against the law, but just something you need to decide what is right and wrong for yourself. That's the part where you don't claim it's your design, but give credit to the real designers (if you know who they are, but even if you don't, you just say where you got the design from). SOME people don't believe in copying at all, but that's up to you. I think most people believe it's OK under certain circumstances (give credit, don't make a thousand and sell them for profit, etc.).

Pretty much if you stay away from making tons of money off of someone else's design, and if you don't claim it as your own design, it should be cool. If you interpret the design in your own way, that's even better, since you are changing things and putting a bit of originality in there!

6. I think it's ok.
      As long as you don't sell the copy or claim it as your own design.

7. Fine to do it, as you will never be able to exactly replicate the outfit. If the costume is so simple that you can do so quite easily, then it would probably not be copy-righted anyway. I would suggest making the outfit if you have the materials and skills and the exact materials might well be a problem, but I would make an obvious change, something that you could well want to to do anyway. And do it on,y for yourself.

8. I have another question, related to the topic - what if I make a copy of DIOR or GUCCI dress for my doll - we still can call it 'replicating"? Does it apply in case, when fashion designer created idea of dress for real humans and I just use the similar design for doll's dress ?

9. Believe it or not - and I was so shocked when I learned this myself - it is completely legal to buy a clothing item from any designer or brand, firsthand or otherwise, reproduce it, and sell it on your own. As long as you differentiate that the product was not made by Gucci, Hilfiger, whomever. The clothing item itself is not copyrightable. Only the logo, trademarks, brand name, and so forth. It's some technicality about the piece being a 3-dimensional object and clothing being a part of the most basic sphere of human knowledge which we must all have free access to use for our own benefit. If I can find the source I'll edit this with the specific information soon. (edits below!)

As I write the edits into this post, I realized, but wait! Doll clothes are not human clothes or in the sphere of "basic human necessity" so they might fall into the category of copyrightable content after all! Like so many things, there is the overall rule of thumb, and then a thousand exceptions to that rule. I'll keep looking into it, now I'm curious...

There is one limited edition clothing set I loved so much and should have bought.. but I hesitated and missed out. I have tried replicating it, even roughly, but it doesn't give the satisfactorily similar feel as the promo photos of the original. I'm considering contacting the original clothes maker to ask if she would make one in a little bit different color, perhaps. Since it was the doll, not only the outfit, which was being sold as the limited edition.. I wonder if she'd consider it.

edits:
      It's not where I originally heard the concept from, but here's an NPR article about specially designed cakes which were copycatted, and how it made the original artist feel. Toward the end they broaden the topic to discuss other non-copyrightable items including furniture, clothing, and food.

One could imagine the clothes designers feeling snubbed as well. Of course the shady ethics could eat one up inside if one has an ounce of empathy for the original designer, but across all international borders, this is the fact as it stands. It is allowed. At least for humans...

#49 Lokinta, Jun 28, 2016
      Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    10. Lokinta, I find that very interesting. I know that as soon as a designer gown, etc., hits the runway, there are copiers out there making something similar with varying degrees of success, price and quality. I know that you can almost instantly find those designer patterns available at fabric stores. So that would mean that you can, with impunity, copy as closely as possible, a costume. Hmmm. What about art doll clothing?

I personally change something anyway, as I usually use someone else's idea as an inspiration. I am making something for my first doll for the Austin Conference right now, (hope I get it finished!) and having a ball. But I have gone to old illustrations for ideas.

One more thing noticeable now, there is such a dearth of fabric choices at so-called fabric stores now, which seem to carry more crafting supplies than fabrics. The largest selection now seems to be in the quilting department. I miss Thirteenth Street Grocery, room after room after room of beautiful fabric, each room filled to bursting with a different family of fabric. Now everything is sold online, where you cannot get a feel of the material, the 'hand', to see if it would be suitable, which you have to do for doll clothing.

11. You are absolutely right - it's so hard to evaluate the quality of fabric without touching . Sometimes fabric looks gorgeous, but in hands it turns out rough and "synthetic'. That's why I never buy online anything relating to clothing.

12. If you're not claiming it as your own or selling it, I see no problem!

13. Sure it's okay.

14. Disagree. I'd say it'd be different if you're taking human clothing and replicating it in doll scale, but if you're taking something designed in doll scale and then just copying the design for a doll in the same scale, I think it's unfair. Limited or not, someone still put time and effort into those designs, and I think it's unfair to take the energy spent perfecting that. It's even worse in my opinion if it's still available.

15. I don't see much of a difference between replicating something human-sized into doll scale and making another of something that's already in doll scale. Either way, you're making your own version of clothing that already exists. In either case, you still have to draft your own patterns based on what you see, and refit them to the doll you're working on. If OP (or anyone) doesn't have the exact doll body that the original item was made for, then it's even more work.

Personally, I think it's alright, on the basis that your item(s) won't be an exact match to the one in the company photos. You don't have access to the exact same materials they used, and you don't have the original patterns. It's sort of like cosplay? Which, btw, people do cosplay those limited DOD outfits, haha. You're not trying to say that your item IS the original, just that it's your version.

For me the morality only shifts when you start trying to sell your copy, or when you buy an item, dissect it, and make a pattern out of that (especially if you then sell it). OR when you claim the design as your original work. Give credit where it's due if you didn't come up with the item (unless it's something super generic like a t-shirt, nobody has a patent on that).

I guess overall it's sort of a grey area, case-by-case thing, but on the whole it should be fine if you're not selling it or claiming it as your own idea.

Editing to add that I also don't think that work-by-commission artists/tailors should accept money for replicating a limited outfit. Nobody asked, but I'm just throwing it out there.

16. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Knockoffs (LOL) are done of fashions all the time. If you try to claim the outfit is something it is not and sell it, that is a whole different matter. But if for your own use............ go for it!

17. I would make whatever I liked for my doll. Inevitably there are alterations as fabric patterns, textile choices, and colors vary by availability.

18. I think there is nothing wrong with this specially if you credit the actual designers.
      It also serves as good practice material!