1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it safe to apply a perfume on your doll?

Jul 10, 2017

1. I think if I spray it on the cotton pad and put it in the head, the substance that will stain the doll will stay on the cotton pad,no?

2. Don't quote me on this but I think it is comparably safer if you just spray the perfume on the wig and clothe at a distance.

As all other posted, most of the perfumes contain alcohol. The cheaper the perfume, the less actual fragrance it contains and the more alcohol for dilution.

Fun fact: High end brand's try-me bottles in department stores contain more alcohol. It smells the same as the regular bottles but evaporates faster. That's why sometimes those "perfume outlet" shops sells them at half of the price of regular retail.:evilplot::evilplot::evilplot:

3. @plm0331 That fun fact
      I always curious why those outlets sale them so much cheaper that I thought it was fake. Now I know.

Right now one of my boy is using eau de toilette from Hermes and other is Jo Malone. I will try looking at those shops. Thanks.

4. Maybe I wasn't super clear with my message earlier, but what I did was I sprayed the cushions where I store my doll lightly (in box or in carrier like I did). There is no direct contact of the perfume and the doll, so you shouldn't even worry about it staining the clothes either. The clothing and wig doll should absorb some of the smell very lightly and it's not overpowering. Imagine it like your pet or SO getting your perfume smell after hanging out with you a significant amount of time for the day xD

Though this only works if you store away your dolls in carriers or boxes. Maybe try the perfumed piece of paper inside the head trick like mentioned above?

5. Awwwww Jo Malone is my favorite!!!

6. So recently I got my two BJDs last month and one particular thing I really liked about them is their SMELL.
      Yes I know weird, right?

The smell of Peakswoods dolls' resin is almost flowery and somewhat aromatic, but not like a perfume.

I noticed my dolls resin smell is going away and wondered does anyone put soap bars or scented items in their doll cases to keep their doll items/clothes/doll smelling nice? Would this be advisable or would you say this is a bad idea?
      I would never think of spraying perfume on them because I feel like the alchohol/oil/aromatics would cause a bad chemical reaction with the resin polymers

7. That sounds like a very neat idea! I'm definitely eager to read more people's feedback on it to make sure it wouldn't harm the dolls in any potential way, and if it doesn't, perhaps it's time to invest in some scent pouches. :) Thanks for bringing it up in the first place!

8. I faintly remember there used to be a BJD company that asked you what scent you wanted your doll to have.

I think it would be relatively safe to like put a dry air freshener in a dolls head or torso.

I mainly have a closet air freshener since I keep my doll clothes in the same closet as my own clothes.

9. wow i never thought of this. i guess it would be great if they had a nice smell mine just smell like resin lol

10. You could just put a little draw bag like you get for clothing draws inside the head cap :-)

11. i should try that thank you

12. Sometimes when I buy clothes from Etsy the dye on the clothes has a really nice smell to it! It's almost like perfume! I like the idea of dolly perfume!

13. I have had my dolls wear cologne in the past, but I just put the tiniest drop in the wig, not on the resin itself, so it didn't hurt the doll. I also accidentally gave my first doll a signature scent by packing all of this things in storage with a small box of sandalwood incense. I didn't even burn it, but his clothes absorbed the scent, so that became "his" smell.

The only things you might need to keep in mind, other than making sure whatever you use won't harm the doll, is that if you plan to sell the doll or their accessories, either wash it and air out the smell first, or mention the scent in the sales thread. Some people are very sensitive to perfume/incense or any strong smells, and it could make them very sick. This doesn't mean you can't scent your doll, just be honest about it so buyers can decide for themselves if it's okay or not. Personally, floral scents give me a headache and nausea, but I LOVE earthy or sugary scents!

14. I put cologne on my doll's clothes. Not regularly, just when I feel like it or when we're going out.

15. Scent your bjd as you like at home, but PLEASE have mercy on others if you take it out with you. Some odors and perfumes can trigger migraines and other serious health events such that the afflicted will have to leave the area immediately. Depending on the circumstances, you might be asked to leave. So please be thoughtful.

@CloakedSchemer stated it well, but one more thought: You might or might not get the smell out later due to the porous materials involved. It's best to assume you can't get rid of the smell entirely - and that might be okay with you.

16. I have some little muslin pouches with cedar and sandalwood balls in them stashed in the bottom of the drawers where I store my crews' clothes... After being in there awhile, the outfits do take on traces of the woods' scent. That gives the gang a little bit of a pleasant smell when I dress them, without my having to worry about what the oils in perfume might do to their resin. It's also a subtle-enough scent that it doesn't seem to set off allergies like a stronger fragrance would.

17. Thanks for asking this question. It’s great info to know!

18. I did that with ma second hand Lati because the eyes putty was very old and stinking. So I put lemon essential oil on a cotton pad and put it inside the head (after cleaning) to remove the smell. It worked very well and no stain (though, I did it before make up).

19. I would never use perfume directly on the doll, just on their clothes. I got my rotting Mummy girl's dress sprayed with heavy Patchouli & Vetiver, she smells like an open grave for years now :)