1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Wrong to Buy an LE Doll to get LE Outfits?

Aug 20, 2007

1. I'm with everyone else. I would like the "White Cat Lucas" doll but not the outfit, and if I could find the doll being sold at a reasonable price without the clothes I would take it in an instant. There are a few dolls where I see the out fit and would like just the outfit, or see the doll and would like just the LE Doll.

2. As someone who collect the various Volks LE outfits that come with their sets, I see nothing wrong with it. However, I usually don't bother to buy the doll. I just wait until someone who bought the doll wants to sell the outfit.

3. I suppose as long as you personally see that its worth it and your willing to spend the money then there is no problem. ^^ If you're paying you have just as much right as the next person to own the doll, for the outfit or not. ^^

4. As someone who collects primarilly to dress their own dolls, I don't see anything wrong with selling the outfit if you don't want it.

I was a doll collector before BJDs, and I can't tell you how tired I got with the MIB or NFRB thing. What's the point? Aren't we supposed to enjoy the things we buy? Just buying things so they can stand on the shelf tires me... Been there, done that.

One of the things I love about the BJD hobby is the openess toward making the thing your own through customizations...

I don't usually buy limiteds but I've been trying to unload Masha's gear since I got her...

5. Ofcourse it isn't wrong. :) It's your money and you buy whatever you want for it. There are no rules or guidelines and there is definitly no need to ask for premission on DoA before buying anything.

6. Not at all, there are plenty of people who'd love the doll for the doll and I agree, some of the outfits are just adorable! Look at all the desire for the white skinned le dolls, so yeah..

7. It's your money, but if it were me I'd put the doll back into the market because I don't wanna deprive anyone of the doll if they really want it and I just wanted the outfit.

8. Haha, the thought that this could be "wrong" is kinda funny to me (the way we attach morals to these buying and selling issues is a bit unusual at times, but we just love our dolls!). Dude, it's your money, your doll... As long as you aren't being malicious about it or making some unreasonable price, do what you want! There's probably someone out there who really wants that doll and doesn't mind not having the outfit. It's two happy people for the price of one! :)

9. I'm totally guilty of this... I've bought dolls I thought I LOVED, but it turns out I only loved their outfits. Poor neglected dollies! ;_;

I've honesty wondered before if it's better to buy the LE and sell the doll, or just try to find the clothes... the previous is more of a sure thing, but it's usually more expensive in the long run, with all the shipping. The perils of collecting!

10. The thought of it is kinda funny. Because the whole point of BJD is customization; thus it is not like the LE Doll will forever be dressed in that outfit.

Volks does not like their products to be out there all naked; thus they create outfit for every LE (if I am not incorrect, even the standard SD dolls come to you in their pajamas.) Of course, the outfit has its added value to make people want to buy.

I am guilty of doing this one time. But as other said, by splitting the LE, you have two happy people out there instead of one.

11. I am going to say something terrible--please don't all get mad at me...but...A seller can ask anything for an item, it doesn't mean someone is going to or has to buy it at a ridiculous, scalping price. It takes two to make a deal...and, at some level, buying a doll at a crazy ridiculous mark-up is right up there with selling it at that mark-up...as reasonable people, we need to evaluate buying decisions on multiple levels.

And to get back to the thread itself--I think splits are great...as others have said, that way there are two happy people...

12. I don't think it's wrong. You can probably email the site and ask them if you could just buy the dress. They'll probably let you.

13. I don't think so. If you have the money to buy the doll, and can justify buying a doll just for an outfit, then go for it.

14. Hee . . . no worries . . . go for it!! :sweat

15. eh i think its rather pointless and, u shouldnt buy a doll just for the outfit, u buy the doll to own the doll otherwise your totally disrespecting the hobby,

16. Mabye. Mabye not. If you purchased a LE doll just for the outfit you might actually be helping someone else out. Think about it, if you're not going to keep the doll you'd resell it, and of course you couldn't resell it for full price. Because the price is less, someone else who really wanted the doll and couldn't afford it before might be able to afford it now. There's alot worse ways to "disrespect the hobby" out there.

17. Seems kinda pointless. You'd be better off commissioning the outfit from a seamstress. It's cheaper in the long run. Personally I'd leave the doll for someone who really wants the whole set and just have the outfit made >.> Even if someone did sell the outfit in the future, it'd be at some ridiculous price -_- *coughcybershiwoocough* Commissioning is definately the way to go :3

18. I don't see how it would be "wrong" really. If you're just going to resell the doll it's not even like you're "denying" someone who wanted the doll the ability to own it.

On the other hand, if you bought it so you could take the outfit and then scalp the doll... yeah, I'd say that's wrong, lol.

19. You are correct. Slips for the girls and boxer shorts and t shirts for the men. At least for the for the SD 10 and up.

20. high priestess i totally agree with you. If you want the outfit find someone who has the doll who's selling the outfit dont ruin other peoples chances at getting the full set.