1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Wrong to Buy an LE Doll to get LE Outfits?

Aug 20, 2007

1. It's hard to find a seamstress that is willing to copy a company's outfit... they may be accused of copying the original to make money off it, and I've seen how people take to copies in general here >_> (pitchforks and torches and whatnot)

As for me I probably would just wait until someone sells the outfit and hope it will fit the doll it's intended for... or if my sewing skills were better I would make it for myself and obviously I wouldn't make any profit from it.

On the other hand you're probably "saving" a doll from someone who wants it on a whim who will likely turn around and sell it a couple of weeks later.

2. There must have been some incident of late to cause such a stirring in this topic. To me the whole arguement of it being disrespectful is a little over the top. The hobby is about customization and creation, rather than collecting so really...leaving a doll in their default outfit is more disrespectful to the hobby than splitting the set is.

3. Buff thats your opinion, If you get the set for the doll and sell the outfit it wouldnt matter. But i dont feel its right to buy a doll just for its clothes. And i would never do such a thing.

4. MidnightDreamer: Why is it wrong to buy the doll and sell the doll, but right to buy the doll and sell the clothes? It's the same thing, you're buying the whole and keeping only the part you want. There's no wrong in that.

5. no offense to ANYONE here, but the whole "Is it right or wrong" stuff when dealing with someone's choices to buy or sell dolls is getting silly.. It's their money. NO ONE has the right to tell ANYONE what to do with that money, or the things they buy with that money. I can think of things alot harder to get than LE dolls, and if i bought something like that, and someone started telling me, "You can't buy that car just for the tires!!!!!!!! the car's a classic!!!" i'd tell them where to go, and how long to stay there. It's MY money, and i'll do with it as i please. Anyone who feels they have the right to tell me what i can and cant' do can kiss it. LOL And as for mark-up, It isn't right or 'wrong"......someone can sell the doll forwhatever they like. If someone wants to sell the limited Cecil for 90,000 dollars, why should i hate them??? They can sell it for whatever they like...doesnt mean i'm going to buy it.

6. I'm not sure I get why one's different than the other. It's basically just doing a split with another person (only after the fact). By selling the doll, you'd be making someone's day that couldn't get the doll when it was available from the company (and who maybe cared less about the clothes) and keeping the part that was meaningful to you.

Why is it disrespectful? Not everyone wants the clothes and not everyone wants the doll the clothes come with, so people swap and sell till they've got what they want. A lot of fullsets don't stay intact, because ultimately this hobby is more geared towards changing the doll to make it your own. But then again, you don't seem to have a problem with splitting sets, since you say it's ok to buy the doll and sell the outfit...it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

7. Seriously I think most LE outfits are horrid and I only want the doll. I don't want anyone telling me that if I get a doll and sell the clothes that I am lacking some "moral ethic" or something.

8. The fact of the matter is that if the person has the money they should do as they wish.

On one hand, this means that they (I'm assuming) would put the doll back on the market to be bought by someone that really wants it. On the other hand, it would be at after market prices and would probably be as expensive as the initial release of the full-set itself. I have a hard time believing anyone would sell a LE doll without the outfit for less than the original sale price, but maybe I'm just pessimistic. ;)

The after-market buyer always loses out by facing inflated prices. If they believe the price is worth it then for all the world, go for it. I have! :lol:

With every LE release, there will be some people desperatly trying for the full-set who lose out to those of us that managed to get the doll just for the outfit - and then sell the doll later for a higher price which those desperate ones must now pay. Sounds discouraging, doesn't it?

Then again, that's just one of the facets of this hobby that makes things challenging and interesting. Perhaps it's one of the many reasons this hobby isn't as widely popular as those where everything is more accessible to everyone.

Some win, some don't. On the plus side, buying a LE just for the outfit means that there will be a stream of dolls popping up on the aftermarket for months later - allowing people who couldn't afford the doll at the time of the release to save up money for it as well as allowing others several chances to attain one. If everyone bought their LE at the initial release with the intent to keep it forever, I think a good deal of us wouldn't have many of the dolls we have now :)

9. People can do whatever they want in this hobby and I really see nothing wrong with that. There are many limited outfits out there that I like separate from the dolls they come with and I'd have no qualms buying a doll with a split partner just for the outfit. I probably wouldn't invest in a whole doll just for the outfit if I hadn't already agreed on a split, but that's just me.

For me, all it really needs is a little honesty. Don't pretend you want the doll because you love the sculpt when you really just want the outfit. Either split it with someone, say you just want the outfit, or just buy the doll and keep the outfit and sell it later. The more of an issue you make of it the more people will react to it.

I don't see it as an ethical right or wrong issue unless someone goes out of their way to fake their enthusiasm only to turn and scalp the doll without the outfit at an inflated price. Even then, to me that's more just poor taste.

10. As long as you can find a buyer for the doll, I say go for it. I mean, if it's your only option for the outfit, may as well.
      I have never considered doing that for clothes, though two of the dolls I want in the future I have to split two full dolls for head and body... So I sorta get where you're coming from.

11. As long as you don't scalp the doll afterwards, sure, why not. You get what you want, the buyer of the LE doll gets what they want, simple as that.

12. I'm with Laela
      As long as you don't resell for a ridiculous price.

To me though its not worth it to buy a whole doll for an outfit. Just me though.

13. It's actually kinda interesting how different hobbies see these kinda things. Like I know for lolita people are all for replicas as longs as it's not another company tring to make profit from it, A lot of people comission dresses and things. Where as here everyone's like NO THAT'S WRONG.

Personally I'd be willing to make the outfit for someone, I don't see anything wrong with it, unless I mass produced them and tried to make profit.

Like there are some really gorgeous limited outfits, while I'd love to wait for someone to sell one off It's always insanely expensive D: And I can't buy an outfit that would be the price of another doll... Even if it's a cheap doll >.> I'd be like ah I could've bought so much for that and made it myself D: I'd rather just remake it. For me I don't care where the outfit comes from (unless it's a company trying to profit from someone else's design) if it's nice I want it.

There's this one outfit I've been hunting down for ages >.> And I know I have no hope of ever getting and original. It's from a random seller, from Dolpa 15 D: I went to Dolpa hoping he'd be there but he wasn't T.T I really can't afford to go to every Dolpa to track him down for it. And there's no guarantee He'd even have it/ be willing to make another one just for me. So I'm recreating it myself. If I couldn't sew I'd hunt for someone to make it.

I see nothing wrong with replicas as long as the person isn't mass producing it for profit and as long as it's not still something being sold by the artist. I'd have no problem with someone recreating my design if It was something I'd refuse to ever make again, and aslong as someone wasn't mass producing them.

14. In my personal opinion... If you buy the doll just for the outfit and then sell the doll for a hell of a lot more than you got it... Yeah... I think that is wrong because some person who actually wanted the doll missed out on it and now cannot get it for that big markup.

15. No, I don't think it a terrible thing at all. It's your money, your business and your choice.

In fact, you might even be considered doing someone else a favor who loved the doll but couldn't care less about the outfit and wasn't able to buy the doll originally. Particularly if you're willing to sell the doll at a reasonable discount (e.g., what you paid originally minus what the outfit alone would reasonably cost).

Some people might not do things the way you do, but that doesn't give anyone the right to tell you how to spend your money.

16. I think that like its pointless to buy the doll for just the outfit.
      and i doubt anyone would.
      I love the limited h.naoto and btssb outfits.
      and you can easily get them on the marketplace or yahoo.
      I doubt anyone would be stupid enough just to buy a fullset for the outfit :|
      seriously the limited addition outfits are hard to get but not as hard as getting the limited addition doll.

17. You'd be surprised. I know a few people who have bought LE just because of the body or a head. So buying one for the outfit doesn't seem so far fetched, at least to me.

18. I'd have no problem buying a doll for the outfit and then selling th e doll (considered doing that with the Okita doll actually..but I was broke)
      I also see no problem with selling the now nude doll at a markup. I personally probably wouldn't do this, but I don't look down on people who do. If you want to sell for a scalpers price, go for it. If your price is too high obviously the market won't support it and you won't be able to sell until you lower it to something more reasonable. If someone is willing to buy it at the price you list, then there is obviously nothing wrong with that price.
      I'm saving for a yo-sd megu and I KNOW I'm going to be trading my sister's first born child for that doll (I don't have kids myself or I'd send them away first). Much as I hate the price she's going for, I respect peoples rights to sell for whatever they want. If its reasonable to me, I'll pay it.
      Back on the original topic:
      I'd also considering splitting a one-off model. For doll OR for outfit, just depending on what I wanted.

19. I really don't respect scalpers. Sure, buying a LE doll for the outfit is fine if you have enough money to do so, but selling the body away at a marked-up price rubs me the wrong way. People do it, and will probably continue doing it, I'm aware of this, but I certainly don't respect those that do.

20. I think it depends. If you buy a doll, swipe its outfit, and then mark up the naked LE doll, not cool at all.
      But if you sell the doll at a price that is a few dollars less than the original price, I think it's fine. In fact, offering the naked doll at a better price would probably make a person very happy, if they just wanted the doll because of the sculpt/faceup/etc., plus it would be a lot more fair since you're selling the doll without an original part of it.