1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is one doll better than another for a "First Doll"?

Mar 5, 2010

1. I also agree that you should really get whatever doll you like as your first doll. For real. My first was 600 when I got him. I had to save for 6 months. Two years later he is hands down still my favorite doll.

And I would like to add that getting a relatively expenisve doll as my first, made it really easy to buy more ("oh he's only 300! that's so cheap, I have to get him!!!")

2. I definitely agree that it's better to get what you really want. Don't be afraid just because it's your first!
      My Iplehouse EID Luo is my first doll. :) Not only that, but he was the first doll I ever got to see in person, touch, and handle! I've been told that I'm brave to get an EID for my first, but he's no different from any other doll.
      I was really astounded by him when he got here, and in the end I feel way better about getting into this hobby because I started with what I REALLY wanted, instead of talking myself into settling for something less just because I was a 'beginner.'

3. I honestly think that you should get what you love, but realise if you have never seen one in real life it WILL be bigger than you expect. My first one was a Hound and I honestly was shocked when I opened him. I got him back in 05 and there was nowhere near as much info out there as there is now, or I would have sent him back as faulty witht he HUGE seam lines (up to 5 mm offset in some areas) and things like that, but I am honestly glad I didn't, we learned a lot from each other :)

I do however think that first timers who are not set on larger dolls are well served to start with a MSD, if they are I think it is better to start with a non limited SD. I know that sounds a bit off, but honestly it is for their own sake, since most limited dolls require more care and attention that non limiteds, or are more difficult to handle. If you are prepared well great, but can you imagine someone who only discovered the hobby and though they have been reading a lot certainly do not have a lot of knowledge about the dolls, having to manage with something like a Soom Monthly? the extra limbs, the stringing and unstringing, the choices for clothing, most of which is delicate and fiddly. It could cause a lot of heartache and distaste for the hobby.

That said if I had seen Chalco first thing I would likely have gotten him, or Chiron centaur as my first

4. god I LOVE the iple boys but after reading soo many threads about serious yellowing or green problems with their resin it kinda scared me off... now Chiron I have seen in person... AT Denver doll emporium because I live semi close... he is sooo beautiful... why do I always go for the half closed eyes on guys I don't know... I think they look more sultry... but his hands really are as big as they seem in the pics... REALLY big hands... but pretty... and that grey skin is HOTT...

...go with what you want... you don't bond? sell him here on DoA! But you almost certainly will if you buy just want you dream of... don't compromise!

5. I'm going to agree with everyone else and say that you ought to go with a doll that really, really tugs your heartstrings. Don't settle. My first doll was a migidoll ryu, who at the time was a kind of ultimate dream doll. When he came home, he was just this blank little head, and I just started painting him over and over. The first few faceups were horrendous, but I had absolutely no fears of harming in, and I haven't ever thought that. He's still my favorite, especially because he's the doll that showed me the ropes in this hobby. So don't be intimidated by price, prestige or any of that. A doll you love will engage you more. I can see the logic in buying a cheaper doll to learn the nuances of modification and customization, but I would keep that kind of doll separate from the kind you buy to really invest yourself in emotionally.

6. I say go with whatever boy appeals to you the most. Don't worry about 'hurting' your new resin boy (especially since they're tougher than they look) and don't settle. :) There's something very appealing about the bigger resin boys... My first doll was a big boy (a 70cm Dollzone Ying), and I never once regretted getting him instead of something smaller or cheaper.

7. I whole heartily agree that the doll you love the most can be the best for your first doll. But only if you are responsible enough to know the maintenance and care that goes into a doll. Chiron, you say is one of the ones you love and that's great. But some people may find it intimidating to string up the centaur version. But if you have confidence in maintaining the doll, despite it's structure, then go for it. Or you love it so much, then go for it too. You can always learn how to restring or take care of it after you get it :D

8. Thanks for all the input, folks! I think it makes perfect sense that the doll you really want is the best 'first doll', no matter what.

Souldoll Osu was the first doll I had a "doll-crush" on, and I still think he's completely dreamy, so it wouldn't really be settling if I got him first, and it would assuage that whole "getting-my-first-doll-sooner-rather-than-later" urge. :D

I can definitely continue to save for Chiron and Akando once Osu is here, and you can bet I'll do just that! XD

9. Since you've actually been to a meet-up and have seen dolls, if you still want a large doll then by all means get the one you have fallen in love with. It would be different if you had never seen one in real life but since you have you know what you're getting into. If someone has never actually seen a BJD and isn't sure if they will like them or not, often I will recommend something like a BBB Sprite or Resinsoul MSD doll because they are lovely dolls, a nice size (large enough to be detailed, small enough to fit in a large purse), and if someone decides they're not really into it after all they haven't spent and arm and a leg. But since you have seen real dolls- I say go for it! If you don't get the one you want you will keep going back to it over and over again and you will probably end up buying it anyway eventually.
      To be honest, there aren't any rules in BJD "Hobbydom". Everyone is different. So just do what feels right for you.

10. I must say that a white skin doll or a grey skin or even a tanned skin is not the best resin color you can have for starting. They are resin that need more 'caring' about the sanding, makeup, everything, you need to be more carefull and I don't think you want to damage your first doll without being sure at 100% what is 'caring' and what can happen , mostly for a WS. I think a first doll should not be too expensive too, in the case you change mind about BJD and don't want to go further. But if your really sure you will like the hobby then nevermind what I said about price.

My first doll was a white skin and she is today really yellowed, but I still like her, but of course im kinda sad she yellowed ^^'

11. You know if you don't get the doll you like, you probably won't care for it. If you get the doll you love, then you're probably going to treat it with care. People make mistakes with dolls, but most mistakes, aren't impossible to fix. Most dolls that people buy aren't limiteds. Whilst resin in other colors do require more care than the standards, most people don't try to sand first. As long as a person is cautious, willing to take advice, and has a general idea of the size of doll they are purchasing I think any doll is an okay starter doll. ;)

12. Having owned my first doll for a little over two months now, I am sort of glad that I didn't know about all the various doll companies out there and that when I chose him, I chose him purely based on the fact that I was drawn to him and that was it. Plus, he was on a christmas promotion special price which was a bonus really and I got two freebies with it which made the deal even sweeter. I am currently doing preliminary research for my intended second doll and because since buying my first, I've become aware of all the companies out there, it's muddied up the waters a lot because it's made choosing difficult because of comparing this doll with this doll etc etc.

It didn't really take me too long to decide on my first. I had looked at a few (on ebay) using various search terms but the one I ended up with was one I kept coming back to and procrastinated over for about three weeks before deciding that, yes, he was the one.

Go with what you feel and don't worry about what your friend may say. It's really your choice and if you're drawn to one doll more than to another, then chances are, the doll you are drawn to is the one you really want. Like any hobby, it's always going to be trial and error and if you're going to be spending money on a BJD, it's best to get the one you want rather than regretting it after the fact.

I am a complete noob and I can say that I have not damaged my doll. If you're careful when doing anything with your doll and are aware that resin can break if handled roughly, you should be fine. Also, if you store it in a safe place away from where pets or children may be able to get to it, you'll be perfectly fine.

13. To directly answer the question posed: No, I don't believe any one doll is better than any other for a 'first doll', though it honestly depends entirely upon the person who is getting the doll. Finances, how they handle their belongings, how much research they want to do or how much care they wish to put forth are all factors that would determine whether one doll is a better first doll or whether another would be fine for them.

Like others have said: different doll resins and types have different needs in regards to care. 'Tan' resin is more susceptible and noticeable toward colour changes ('greening') under natural sunlight. Whiteskin yellows similarly, and with some companies, even their NS or normal/realskin resins are more susceptible to colour changes than other companies (my Mythdoll yellowed noticeably whereas my Soulkid, under the same circumstances as my Mythdoll, did not. Different resins reacted differently to the sunlight). Greyskinned boys and girls can show scrapes or accidental scratches much more easily than Normalskin counterparts. Also, blank or faceupped? Will the person research the proper way to paint their new doll's face or plough forward without bothering? Will they look up how to re-string their new possession or try on a whim, by themselves, without prior preparation? How rough is the person, or how gentle?

I honestly really don't understand people when they tell their friends to settle for less, unless they know said friend isn't careful or will refuse to research their purchase. I'm glad you've decided to get the one you want rather than settling for another just because someone has told you it's better for a first doll. I 'settled' for a different doll than I originally wanted to aim for and was lucky enough to fall in love with her upon getting her in person. For others, though, they might not be so lucky.

14. I would say a good first is either your "dream doll" (within reason) or something you love but that's less expensive, to see if you're serious about the hobby.

Generally speaking, I do not recommend just getting a "cheap" doll for cheapness's sake. You're bound to be disappointed. Don't get a mini because everyone tells you you'll be overwhelmed with the size. Don't get a Company X doll just because everyone thinks they're a good first. Really, just get one you really like.

(Though I DO recommend a first doll come with things like ... you know ... eyes and a face and hair. And clothes. A blank, naked first doll is no fun. Likewise, an unassembled one. If you don't like the default face you could always get it redone, but buying one where you liked the default would make more sense. That's just IMO. My first doll was technically a kit, but I paid to have her strung and painted right from the outset. If I was some seasoned model kit veteran I might have not bothered, but as it was I wanted a DOLL, not a weekend project.)

15. I agree with this. Size is all about preference, and if you love one size more than another, go for it! I also agree that a more "advanced" doll might be off putting to some people. I had to re-string my first girl when I got her, and it was a fiasco; I can't imagine how much more frustrated if I had to restring a more complicated doll. But, my best advice is to buy the doll you love best, and if there are any complications with it, well, that's what the nice people on this forum are for. :)

16. Echoing the "buy what you love" sentiment:

My first doll was my WS CP Shiwoo, who was definitely not limited, and I bought him with a wig and a custom faceup by the company (this was back when Luts did custom faceups, which I don't think they do, now). Despite the fact that he's not a limited in any way, he might as well have been, with the way I treat him. XD I'm super-paranoid about damaging his faceup or, well, anything else about him. And of course, he's yellowed quite a lot - I bought him in 2006, right around the Luts 'beauty green' period - but honestly, it doesn't bother me much at all. It just shows that I've loved him for all these years. :aheartbea And he still has his original faceup; the only thing that's been changed are his eyelashes, since his first ones got crushed. Even having that much done was a little terrifying for me. :lol:

Anyway, my point in this rambly post is that regardless of whether you buy a limited or easily attainable doll, or what skin tone you choose - if your first doll is the one you pined over, scrimped and saved for, and dreamed about, you're going to want treat it with as much love and care as though it were an impossible-to-get one-off. ;) So you might as well just get the limited one, or the one with unusual skintone, if that's what really draws your eye.

17. Also giving points to the "buy what you love" but adding to be prepared for any extra care that particular doll may need.

In my case, both my first and second (the only dolls I have), I had money for and was just waiting for one to pop out at me. I had to give it less that 24 hours worth of consideration, or I moved on. I ordered my Carl girl the day they release the mold, and while I waited for her, I started to have my doubts looking at the pictures. Once she's been in my hands though, I've never had a regret since, even if she's a total pigpen and attracts so much dirt. I've since wiped her default, and while I'm still not awesome, she does feel a lot more "my doll" now.

18. I dislike the "starter doll" concept, just about as much as I dislike the "starter house" concept. If you buy what you love, you are more likely to be happy with it.

19. I'm gonna have to agree with others who say, "Get the one you want the most!". I would be horribly depressed if I had been made to wait to get my Sist until after I had a 'practice' doll! It's not up to anyone but YOU which doll you get, especially if it's YOUR money, right? You wouldn't let someone else tell you how to dress would you?

;)

I have 2 BJDs : a DD1 & a Unoa, they were both my 'dream' dolls when I got them and I still love them to pieces.

20. I am not exactly fond of the "starter" concept, and that applies to dolls, too. Looking into a BJD that's cheaper or not exactly what you want isn't going to make you happy with the hobby, I wouldn't think. If you want to make the investment, then go for broke but inform yourself. This is not a hobby to be flippant about, given the cost alone. Read up on the dolls you want, find photos, read people's feedback on releases, resin care, concerns, likes, dislikes, etc. and make a decision based on information and your heart. This forum alone is an endless trove of information for many BJD and I don't think any owners of particular dolls would hesitate to answer any question they can about their experience with a doll. If you really end up loving the doll you bring home, it may drive you to take good care of your investment ;)