1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is one doll better than another for a "First Doll"?

Mar 5, 2010

1. I agree with what just about everyone has said...go with your heart/gut and in the long run it will make you happier :)
      As far as concerns about the complications with limiteds, gray/tan/white resin and/or large BJD with complicated jointing...I think it depends on what kind of beginner you are. A lot of people, myself included, do extensive research before jumping into anything. But there are just as many people who like leaping in head first and, for them, a doll that requires more than the average beginner's know-how might be overwhelming and discouraging, even if it is their ultimate dream doll.
      So...like so much in this hobby...I tihnk it depends on the person :)

2. Yeah, I totally do lots of research before getting into anything new. And I'm super-careful with my dolls, especially when I know there's a real chance of damage. Really, most of the dolls I own now (Living Dead Dolls, My Little Pony, and American Girl Dolls, w/a few Madame Alexander Dolls thrown in there...) were made for play, so they're pretty sturdy. BUT! Knowing there's a chance of breaking a doll, or damaging the finish by scratching...those things would encourage me to be extra super careful. And to cover all surfaces w/a couple of layers of felt. LOL

3. My first doll was a BBB Ariel girl (in display picture). I don't have many regrets as of having her first, I learned first hand how easily yellowing occurs, and that i wouldn't buy another white-skinned doll. I would say to buy a cheaper/second hand doll as a first, unless you absolutely know everything you need to know about them. The majority of shit i know about BJD's, i learned after i got my girl. :3
      So, i guess it depends on which company you like, what kind of resin you want, colour ect.
      Though, I wouldn't suggest getting a MD or something like that as a first doll. :/

XDD

4. Starting with a smaller doll isn't always the best option. (I have seen such advises before) You have to look for the right mold, not size.
      Personally, I like bigger dolls. My msd (which is a tan as well) came first, and I love her to bits, but I really prefer my sd in size. The way you can hold him in your arms and the weight, I find it really pleasant. I can't seem to find the right way to carry my msd.
      Of course, it's hard to find out which size you like if you have no bjd-owners in your area to meet.
      Research comes in handy, as it helps you find out what you are comfortable with.

Advised is, if you normally don't use the metric system, to research the sizes (for example 60cm). Might prevent (unpleasant) surprises. xD (No, that did not happen to me, but read about some people on here who did have that experience)

5. Having purchased a few various sizes now, I don't really think there's a best doll to have first.
      But, erm...I'm pretty glad my first was MSD.
      If Kaitou had been my first doll, I would be crushed under his massive resin butt.
      (I kid, he's not that huge.) x3

6. I would definitely say "go with your heart/gut" on your first doll. Especially now. My "first" doll was a gift, but the first one I purchased for myself, I chose in large part because of the price, and... I was deeply disappointed. She wasn't at all what I wanted. "Luckily" - or I consider myself lucky for it, now - there was a mix-up and I'm able to send her back for a full refund. I knew the moment I saw her that I should have listened to my instinct and gotten a more expensive doll that would be what I wanted, and not what I settled for.

Luckily, since I'm able to get a refund on the one that didn't work out, I already ordered the doll that I really wanted, who has been catching my eye for a long time. :D

7. I think about the only thing a newbie might want to avoid is a badly damaged doll, especially if they don't have prior repair experience in a similar medium. As long as you read the forum for tips on doll care so you don't do things like try to do the face-up in sharpie or clean the doll with paint remover you should be fine.

8. If you want a first dolls like a "guinea pig" or like a first child, then I do suggest going for a cheaper doll. Angel of Dream makes relatively cheap, beautiful dolls. And getting a cheaper doll does open up windows that you wouldn't want to take with more expensive dolls. Such as customization. It also means that their parts are a bit cheaper to replace if you do happen to make a newbie mistake. But i really is your preference. My friend's first doll was a Dollzone Floy, and she has 3 dolls now, no problems with any of them. (except for some strange bruise-looking mark on her MSD's head... We don't know what he did, but Mr. Clean won't do much to fix it... o_0)

9. Maybe but I support people going with their first instinct. Going cheap for the first doll isn't the best idea (unless people are gonna mod...a lot)

10. I'm debating on getting a doll and from my experience cheap isn't always the best way to go if I want something to enjoy. I guess it's like my investment in a sound system. I want something that will knock my socks off. I've been poking around here and there learning as much as I can. I love details and figure that a bigger doll might be better for clothing details as opposed to a smaller doll, ect. I've noticed that a lot of the larger dolls tend to have a more mature look which I personally prefer. However the cost makes me somewhat balk and I'm not sure which companies/dealerships offer law-away programs and how they actually work. I like researching things before committing to them so that I know what I'm getting into if that makes sense. XD.

11. I agree with the previous posters who said go with the doll you love. Many people seem to think buying a cheap doll for a first doll is better but if you don't love the doll you buy you will only be disappointed. My first doll was a bobobie. There is nothing wrong with these dolls, they are fine, but they were really difficult as far as posing goes (don't know if this is still true, but it was back then). I was very frustrated by this and wasn't confident enough to suede her or do any modding at all. In the end I sold my first doll and didn't let the experience ruin the hobby for me, but it wasn't a good experience either. I would much rather pay more for a doll I love than buy a doll just because it is cheap.

12. The thing is, everyone is a little different.

Some people will not want to worry about having to do anything complicated in order to buy a doll--so they will feel more comfortable with a company with an easy website and available dolls that are simple to purchase and a reputation for customer care.

Some people will not want to worry about faceups or gathering clothes that fit and will be looking for fullsets or dolls that come strung and finished with faceups.

Some people will worry about spending too much and will want a more economical doll.

There are all kinds of choices and ways to purchase dolls out there now, so people will need to find the things that suit them best. So, yeah, in a way there is a good First Doll for everyone--but it will probably be a DIFFERENT first doll depending on the person!

Basically, it's still what most people have been saying-- A buyer needs to buy what they really love.

It's also a good idea to try and research everything to make sure you know what you are getting.

13. Yes, there is one doll that's better to get than another. The doll you should get is the one you love the most. It's fine to see what other people think, but in the end it's your money. Spend it as you see best.

14. Wise words °w°

15. If you really like doll, it doesn't matter what doll is it. But if you can't decide, may be it would be better to buy more popular mold? This way you have better chance to save your money at least.

16. Yes: A doll you love is better than a doll you're settling for. Price can be important but it shouldn't be the first thing you look at. If you get a doll you liked second or third best, you won't enjoy it as much as one you really wanted.

17. I actually didn't even think about the size of the doll or if it was not what I should get as a newbie. I almost actually got myself a VOLKS starter kit doll since it was for beginners but in truth, I didn't really feel very close to the dolls. So instead, I went searching for a doll that I really wanted to get. Although my first one is an MSD size and probably a good size for a beginner, I didn't really pay much attention to the size. There are a lot of people actually that purchased their first doll that is 60 cm and they take really good care of them too. I've never really heard of very many beginners that damaged their dolls so badly. I'd go with a doll you just love so much over a doll that is just more convenient for a beginner. I actually am doing a TON of research on caring for dolls and finding out more information on here during my waiting period for my doll and I now know what to expect and how to care for them. Do a lot of reading up so that way you know what you should do when your doll arrives. ^^

18. Simply, I think the best doll for a new owner is a doll they are madly in love with. Love will teach them how to research, treat it safely, take care of it, etc.

19. I agree. Buy the doll you love. If it's more expensive than you can afford right now, save. Don't "settle" for a doll you only feel so-so about, because you'll either be disappointed or end up spending more money than you would have by buying your dream doll (whether it be by sending him/her to multiple face-up artists, trying multiple wigs/eye combos until you find one that replicates your "dream doll", etc).

While there are "less expensive" dolls, I really don't view any of them as "cheap". Go with your gut and don't forget to actually enjoy the hobby!