1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a friend/family that helped out with money so you could get a doll?

Oct 25, 2012

1. Me and my mum have quite an intresting financial arrangement xD If we can lend each other money for things we do ... and it goes both ways... and most of the time we do pay each other back xD but sometimes it does get forgotten xD And there was a time when she just flat out gave me the money for some soom tinys as she just got a lot of money from divorce and stuff ... (And because of me she get 5k more ;P) .. but yea.. paying stuff back.. ofc.. my mum does... even though in the beginning she thought they were stupidly over priced :P But she understands that there is nothing logical and practical about a hobby.... it is what it is... some ppl collect cars xD I collect dolls :) and my mum has turned to the darkside :P she wants bjds too now xD

2. Not really, most of my dolls have come from saving up. Apart from Griffin, I was in a car accident and used some of the compensation money to buy him. I do however have a great mum that helps out when I get stuck with customs charges and can't afford the ransom. I always pay it back though, they dolls are my hobby so I don't feel right having someone else pay for the possibilities of costly arrivals.

3. Yes, both family and friends actually. First, my mom and dad gave me the money I needed to buy my Leeke Mihael for my birthday (that's actually not as extreme as it sounds like; we earn quite a bit of money per hour here; I earn about $20 per hour on my low-paid part-time job, and my mom earns something up in triple digits per hour), and later, when I was broke and Leeke was just about to take all their dolls out of production, a friend helped me by lending me the money I needed to put a Mikhaila on layaway (I was broke, she was not, and she was also having a Florence from there).
      I feel I'm pretty lucky, because my parents fully support my hobby (though they don't like Mikhaila's body), and I have BJD-loving friends at every corner.

4. My ex-sister-in-law lent me 50€ I left for having my minifee's body, but I think any other in my family would lend me money x_D

5. No, and I never expect anyone to help me with buying anything. My parents have never supported my hobbies and nag on me about the expenses...I've also never asked them to help me with ANYTHING involving money. I get free room and board. I'm in no position to complain or beg for more than that. ^^;

6. I got help from by boyfriend who paid half of my Rise's doll ^^ I apreciated it a lot because I was in a bad month ^^

7. I always have to save up by myself. It's cool though because my parents help me out in other ways. It just means I have to wait a little longer to get the doll that I want. I've learned that patience is a great quality to have in this hobby. :sweat

8. No, I have the earn the money to buy my dolls myself by sewing and selling clothes for them. I would be really thrilled if someone did that for me though.

9. I have been very fortunate. While I have bought the majority of my dolls by myself, I have received a few as gifts or in barter from friends and family. My mom especially has been really wonderful. She's gone from not wanting anything to do with the dolls to having her own, and occasionally surprising me by helping with a doll!

10. nope, I always bought dolly-stuff by my own money :D
      I only once used christmas money I got from my parents for buying a doll.. but I don't think that counts because ithe money was a christmas present.
      But I have to say, I would not want my parents or boyfriend buying me a doll or giving me money for a doll..
      It's a hobby and I only do buy those luxury things when I really can afford it.
      And in the end I'm proud that they are really all mine, bought with my own money :)
      Sorry for my bad english D:

11. My situation is exactly Archangel My mother is always helping me with things, and is as into the hobby now as I am. I do save money for all my hobbies myself, but I also try to find ways to cut down initial costs and stuff. With my first two dolls I had been saving money for a doll leaves Maya, but due to unforeseen circumstances ended up short . So my mom not only gave me the extra money but bought me second doll. Most of my family isn't supportive so I'm super lucky to have her.

12. my mom and stepdad have both been really supportive! my stepfather is paying me to do extra work with him because he knows how much i love bjds.

13. My best friend found the ideal sculpt online, and knew I'd love it. She bought it for me :3 I fully intend to repay her though, either in money or in doll favor!

14. I sort of have a family member who helps out. My mother didn't help pay for Johnny since I had enough money to get him, but she DID pay for some cute clothing items!

15. That's a really great story! I'm so glad your brother gave you the money you needed, even though he disagreed with the hobby. He just wanted you to be happy. :whee: I don't work over here right now, because my health isn't the greatest, so I don't make my own income anymore. Any purchases I make are made with my husband's money. As long as he has food on his table, beer in his fridge, and games for his consoles, he's a happy camper and tells me that he wants me to get whatever I want (Within reason). He's one of those money is meant to be spent kinda people.

16. I feel so lucky I have a so much supportive family!
      I'm still a student so I don't make my own income except for when I receive money on my birthday or other special dates.
      At home, my mom or dad have never given me money for dolls itself but have helped me with unexpected custom charges, and I have always given it back. My sister has never given me money for dolls but she has bought little gifts for them and gifted me some money for my birthday too so I could purchase clothing for one of my current dolls who was in need.
      My fiance has given me money for paying half a doll twice as birthday gift, he is the most supportive because he makes more income and has less responsibilities (only expensive hobbies like the new technologies xD).

17. For a long time my Dad was really baffled by my doll collecting thing. But the last few years of his life I think he began to understand how much of a stress relief they were for me and he actually became very supportive of my collecting dolls. He actually bought me my first MSD pair and later bought me several bigger dolls for Christmas, birthday, and a couple of times he even bought me dolls just because they made me happy and he felt I deserved a treat.

The last few years of his life were very hard. He was very ill, in and out of the hospital a lot. He couldn't be on his own anymore and taking care of him was very hard on me. He was very challenged physically speaking. It took up a lot of time and most of my energy, and well, it was often very hard emotionally too. He knew that but he also knew I would be there taking care of him no matter what.

He appreciated that and would now and again hand me a credit card, give me a limit and tell me to have at it, to buy whatever doll I wanted so long as I didn't spend more than that. Most of my dolls I've paid for myself, but yeah, my Dad did help me buy some of them. He's gone now. I miss him, but I can't help but think of him when I see my dolls. :)

18. Out of my five BJDs, my parents helped me buy two of them. I got the body of one for my birthday, and they paid me a bit less than half of the other one.
      They are supportive of the hobby... In a way. They really like my dolls, they are proud of what I do with them, but it's always really hard when I want to buy another one, even without asking them anything to pay. They just can't get over the price I guess !

19. My dad actually bought my first doll (Bobobie Tony) for me for my birthday in 2009, as well as clothes and a wig for him. It was one of the best gifts I've ever received and Gideon means so much to me because my dad bought him for me. :aheartbea

20. My boyfriend once advanced me the total price for a doll - it was DD Takane Shijou. It was only for a few until I got my paycheck, he got everything back asap :)