1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a friend/family that helped out with money so you could get a doll?

Oct 25, 2012

1. Yes, actually there is!!! My mother in law lenot the money so I could purchase my Dollshe Erica Snow. The own a campground, so she is allowing me to work off what I owe her. It works out well because I have something to do while I wait!!!!

2. Nope. I guess I could borrow money and as long as I pay it back soon. I'd more likely just ask for money for my birthday. The problem is I prefer to pay in full instead of layaway so I like to have all the money at once. So I just have to be very patient and wait for events instead of borrowing money. But I don't really see a problem with family helping out to pay for dolls.

3. When I was going to get my first doll, my family gave me part of the money for him for Christmas. I was shocked that they would be so nice and they all wanted to see him when he arrived. The next year, I was gifted a pair of pants for my second doll.

4. No... i won't ever ask them for lending me money for a doll. I would rather ask them for money if I don't have any food at home ... totaly broke ... then, just then I would ask for money. (I never did this, by the way!)

I buy my dolls with my own earned money and get proud of 'em when ever I see them. ^^

5. No i always pay for my own things, i save up until i can afford the thing i want, or i don't buy it, i never borrow money off anyone i don't feel comfortable doing so. We have never been a family that has had much extra money so i have grown up being quite frugal i guess.

6. When Iplehouse had a sale on Roger I was super depressed that I could not afford him at that time and thought that I would probably never get him after because he was discontinued. My girlfriend lend me money so I could get the head at least and she made me incredibly happy with that. I paid her back and a month later something similar happened with LittleRebel Aleksander and she lend me money again xD I am lucky to have a girlfriend with the same hobby, I guess.

7. I had fully intended on buying my first doll myself I was just waiting for a few paychecks to go through, but my parents just asked which doll I wanted, skin tone, ect and bought the doll for me. I offered to pay them back, but they said not to worry about it. They've also helped pay for fabric and a few better sewing materials than the ones I currently have. My grandmother is also sending me stuff in the mail to use! In the future I plan on paying for everything myself, but I have a feeling that for holidays and birthdays my gifts might be more centralized around my hobby.

8. I've had family and friends help me get dolls twice
      First when i went to get my first doll i had shown my parents all the research that i had done and explained how i wanted the doll to use as a model for drawing. My mom was really excited because she collects baby dolls and because she understood how much a BJD could help me with my drawing. So she said that for my christmas gift she wanted to pay half the cost of my first doll ^-^ I was so ecstatic ^-^
      The second time was quite recent. I had shown one of my friend's the Soom monthly Ondiin and told her how in love i was with the doll because she was so adorable! however she was time limited to around just 2 weeks and i just could not validate spending that kind of money at that moment and would not be able to save the money in time. I had simply been intending to show her that doll along with others that i thought were adorable ^-^ because we had been having fun going back and forth looking at dolls we liked together. I was in no way shape or form expecting what she and my other freinds did. The three of them got together and purchased the doll from Soom for me ^-^ and gave her to me for my birthday ^^ i was completly floored and did not know what to say at all.
      I'm just so happy and so blessed that i have friends and family that completely support my endeavors ^-^

9. Unfortunately not! I don't have the money for expensive dolls, though I would love some of the pricier brands like Iple or some of the special edition Sooms. My parents, though accepting of the dolls I have, do not think that the pricy ones are worth it.

10. You know what's funny, I've wanted a BJD since I was 14 years old and I'm almost 25 now. It never occurred to me to even try asking my parents to buy me one for my birthday or Christmas because I figured it would be too expensive, and I just thought that I would wait till I was older and had my own job to buy one. But when I finally did buy my own, my mom asked me why I never mentioned these dolls to her, she would have bought me one when I was younger!! It made me laugh, I even asked "even though these dolls cost 400-500 dollars?" She said absolutely, because it would have made me happy. I just shook my head haha I'm pretty glad I waited though, there's so many things available that are perfect for my doll now that probably wouldn't have existed back then. So I'm pretty content with how things turned out xD

11. Nope, my family also hates it like mostly everyone else. So I gotta save, lol.

12. My mother always helps me with everything, she gave to me my third doll and helped me when I bought my first

13. My boyfriend has helped me out and lend me money so I could get buy some dolls and pay in full. At the moment I'm clear of debt though, which is a good feeling when you don't have to think about when to pay back in the future. He never rushed me into paying him back quickly, but I always felt when he had to wait longer than a month or two > <'

14. I'm personally an adult, so I save up for things myself. My parents are pretty good parents. They helped me get through college. That being said no they wouldn't help me with a want, especially an expensive want. Now they do give me simple birthday and/or Christmas gifts. They would also help me if I ended up in some sort of emergency, a need such as if husband lost his job, car accident things of that nature.

15. One of my friends would support me if I asked but otherwise there would be no one else.

16. I'm a bit spoilt I guess. My husband has bought 90% of my dolls. My parents are both collectors.Mom, vintage dolls and dad, cars..real ones. They give me money for birthday and Christmas and say buy a doll or something for your dolls. I am a stay at home mom and was very ill for 5 years so I didn't have any income of my own for awhile. Oddly my dad really likes my dolls and has taken pictures with them to show his buddies..lol.

17. As a student I was working hard to gather enough money for my first doll; part time job, lowest loan, many shifts - the usual, but it still wasn't enough (living in Germany, we have to pay customs, so they added a lot to the already high price). I had my Mum, Dad and Brother help me out to get him, despite not really liking the idea of me spending so much money on 'just a doll'. I'm forever thankful <3

18. Honestly I had around 300USD just lying in wait for me to spend, so I looked for things that I want to spend it with. When I found out more about BJDs I decided I wanted one but my money isn't going to cut it because I wanted an SD sized doll. I didn't want to start small for reasons.

I started saving up till I got additional 200USD, but along with the shipping it costs around 700, so my mom offered to pay for the rest. I have told her I wanted a doll of course and she accepted it since we were responsible for our own money but she's really okay with it.:dance

19. My BF helped me purchase my first doll so it is, partly, his birthday gift to me. He really supports me in this hobby - as he collects stuff himself - and the only other person I talked about it is my aunt because she is really into arts and crafts but I would never ask money to my parents or other family members, mainly because if you ask money they feel free to judge.

20. My parents actually give me a small doll budget for Christmas. My mom loves the dolls in my collection but because of the nature of bjd customization she is willing to give up surprising me on Christmas morning and allow me to make the purchase myself. As long as I keep her updated on the order process and send pictures, she's fine with it.