1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a friend/family that helped out with money so you could get a doll?

Oct 25, 2012

1. My husband purchased my second doll as a 5 year anniversary gift. He doesn't support the hobby, but I found one secondhand for a very good price. He agreed to pay $500 as a gift and the rest was up to me. But other than that, he would probably flat out refuse if I asked to borrow money for a doll. It was just a onetime thing since it's a milestone anniversary :)

2. My boyfriend helped me buy my beautiful dollshe Erica snow 65 cm. I was amazed that he payed half without any negativity. He really supports me and my hobby, I'm very blessed :)

3. I used christmas money from my dad, grandfather, and aunt as well as my own money to get my doll and her wig... I have a feeling that the aunt is the only one who would sort of get it (maybe? we haven't spoken in years for a bunch of reasons) because she's the one who taught me to sew doll clothing, but...

4. At my age now, it's impossible to ask help from anyone I know to get a doll...I would feel embarrassed too, I guess...So I can only rely on myself to get the doll money if I want to buy it. I do get monthly allowances both from my dad and husband, apart of my own earnings...so that's the only resources I can use to buy myself dolls. Of course, nobody has any idea how much they cost lol...

@magkelly omg that's so sweet! I have wet eyes reading your post. please treasure your dolls and cherish the memories of your loving daddy

#64 Elvenrose, Feb 8, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
    5. Interestingly enough my father-in-law has been the most helpful. He always gives me a check for a set amount of money for my birthday and Christmas. I really appreciate it and this year's birthday check went right to getting my Volks Lin.

6. I saved up my New Year's money in addition to my own to get my first doll, and it really helped!

7. Nope. Asking for money is never something I'd do, because my parents are just as poor as I am. The three of us live paycheck to paycheck. Hell, I feel guilty just thinking of the idea.

8. I paid for my tow first dolls myself from my rewards that my University give us each month, but now that I graduated I had to save up.
      So I saved up half the amount for my new doll and my mom and sister gave me the rest as a gift with no reason :chibi.
      Overall my family has always been supportive no matter what hobby i'm into as long as I'm not doing anything wrong or bad they're okay with it and I do the same with them :hug:

9. Not really, I usually save up to buy and pay for my own dolls. I don't ask my parents to pay for my dolls but sometimes they give me cash gifts (like for my birthday), some of which might go to the dolly fund to pay for a doll. If I don't have money then it's bye bye doll T^T (I actually missed one of my boys twice because I was on layaway for other dolls when he was first released and re-released). Fortunately the company re-released him for the third time and I grabbed to chance to finally bring him home! :D)

10. I had wanted a Dollshe Saint for quite a while. One popped up on the Marketplace for a very reasonable price but I had no money. I asked my daughter (who also collects bjds) to loan me the funds and she said okay. So now I have my Saint! I don't think there is anyone else I could have asked though and I feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful daughter - of course I did actually purchase her first BJD and a few after after that!

11. My husband is super supportive of my hobby and he has bought 3 of my dolls. He has never had any issues or anything with it. We are both pretty responsible with our money, but I am the type of person that once I make my mind up about something he knows it going to happen. So if I have my eye set on a doll that I know I have to have then he has always been really great about it. He usually asks if I need help paying for it, which I usually don't, and then he has surprised me a few times by offering to pay for it entirely. He is an awesome guy, and Im lucky to have him in my life :)

12. Apart from the money I get as gifts from my parents they wouldn't help, and I wouldn't ask either. I much rather save up my own money so I can feel like I really worked for it, but that is just how I think :)

I think it is really wonderful that people help out each other for their passions and hobbies, whatever they are!

13. If I needed help purchasing a doll,my friends and family would help me,but, I would pay them back.

14. Nope lol my friends and family support my hobby But not enough to give me cash for it. That's all on me.

15. sadly not :( i think they have difficulties to understand why i want to spend so many money in a doll haha. MAKES ME SAD

16. My parents don't understand my doll collecting so no help there. My SO would buy me all the dolls if we had money, but as we are poor at the moment due to us both being too sick to work, I have one layaway going.

My bestfriend has promised and has helped with the layaway, but I pay her back or work at her flower shop to pay back.

BUT my ex-husband just recently bought me my first SD second hand:o. We had a not so good relationship and I cut all contact to him after the break up. He reached out and wanted to apologize for stuff during the relationship and for taking some of my stuff during the break up (household items like the washer and dryer combo I had bought). So I said he could buy me the doll as a joke, as I thought he was not genuine about the apology, but he really bought it*_*. So thats something....

17. A few times my mom would give me money towards a doll because it would be my present, either Christmas, birthday, Easter, etc. On gift giving holidays, I typically ask for doll money :XD:

18. My mom gave me half the cost of my Volks DDP Yayoi for a birthday present and my aunt bought a tiny bjd for Christmas. I’m so thankful for both and love them dearly. They both support my hobbies!

19. When I was young and my parents were still alive, they did help with the hobby I had at the time. I was into building dollhouse size dioramas. I made a lot of furniture and accessories myself, and as gifts for birthdays and Christmas, mom would go with me to the miniatures shop and let me choose something special. We were relatively poor, so this was a big deal.

Now I'm an adult (elderly actually) and living on my own for many years now. So I can only rely on myself for dolls.

20. My partner helped me purchase a doll for my mother. I am very lucky to have them so much. The other purchases have been under my own funds.