1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a friend/family that helped out with money so you could get a doll?

Oct 25, 2012

1. My sweet mother is helping me sometimes , to get what I want , she wants from to be happy . But she knows that I will sell something else to get again money , to buy something new . Unfortunately nobody else understands me . Wish they could .

2. Nope, I've never had any assistance buying a doll. Which isn't a bother to me--if I really want something, I'll pinch pennies and save where I can to get the doll, accessory, etc., that I really want. Nowadays a lot of companies offer layaway and if not companies, dealers, which really makes things easier!

I did have one experience involving an ex-boyfriend that really shaped my expectations in the sense that I should only rely on myself when it comes to dolls. This was back in college, so about 8 years ago, I was having a really hard time in a math class. It was never my strong subject, and I really, really needed to get an A on the final to save my GPA. I had been really interested in a Minifee Celine at the time, and he knew I had been looking at her. So he told me that if I passed the final with an A, he'd buy her for me. I was pretty young and dumb to expect him to keep on his promise or for him to shell out that kind of money, but I believed him. So I worked extremely hard and managed to pass the test with an A. I was thrilled! Then when I told him the news, he back-pedaled, saying I needed a perfect score.

So yeah, while I should have never expected him to actually do it, it really soured my experience, so I tend not to ask for doll stuff from anyone.

3. I had help with only one of my dolls, which happened to be my grail doll SOOM Phonolus.
      It was around Christmas in 2013 (I was still in high school) when I saw him on the marketplace and was determined to buy him. The problem was that I didn't have enough to do that at the time, even on layaway. Fearing that he might be sold if I didn't take action soon, I talked to my parents about it and asked for some help and to consider it a Christmas and birthday present (since my birthday is in January). Knowing how much the hobby means to me, they agreed and also talked to my grandparents about it, who also agreed to help me as a Christmas/ birthday present. So in the end, we all split the price into thirds and paid him off that way. My parents even managed to get him priority shipped so that he would arrive by Christmas. This was without my knowledge, so needless to say, it was a complete shock to me when I opened him on Christmas day! I'll never forget that and I'll always been thankful to my parents and grandparents for helping me :3nodding:

Other than that, I haven't asked for help at all for my other dolls and I don't want to ask for help again. I have since graduated college and am working, so I take full responsibility for my hobbies. I rarely ask for help with them anyway. It also feels better to be able to fulfill and sustain my hobbies by myself!

4. My friend bought me my first doll. Im paying her back, but it is slow going.

5. My roommate actually bought me my first doll (along with a doll of her own so we could match). I'll pay her back someday but it's been 12 years...

6. Kind of. My mother did not directly pay for my first dolls, but did give me a job at her business to save up for the dolls. I wasn't old enough at the time to get a real job. I swept and mopped floors for years to be able to afford them, with the help of birthday and Christmas money from other family members. I will never forget the curse of receiving a gift card :shudder

She still refuses to this day to buy me a doll as a gift but I personally think her choice back then. It proved my commitment to BJDs to her and taught me how to save up for something. I also earned some strong arms from it!

7. When I was younger, I used my birthday money for most of the payment for my first doll.

Other than birthday money, my fiancé has bought me two dolls! We made a deal that if I would wait until after Christmas, I could get a littlefee!

I knew the littlefee would be a long wait, so we did layaway, which made it possible for me to also get a male Feeple60 for a floating head I have!! I’m still waiting on these dolls, but it was so sweet that I was able to complete my collection! :chibi

8. My dad bought my third doll, but complained that it was too expensive for like an entire month after so while I appreciated it, I don't think I'll do it again lmaoooo

9. That's incredibly sweet. I love when I learn that someone's mom (or dad) shares their hobby.

10. I work for my uncles so they are inadvertently helping me buy dolls lol. I would only ask for doll money if it was my birthday or a holiday, my family doesn’t have a lot of money to spare so I save to make sure I have doll money set aside.

11. For holidays my mother has tossed money my way towards a doll, she also buys them clothes, props, and furniture, usually for special occasions, but sometimes just because. She doesn't collect dolls, but she is supportive of my collection. She was weary at first, but now she gets almost as excited about a new doll arriving as I do.

12. For my latest order, I technically had enough money, but my parents didn't want me to be spending all my money on him at that moment since I was about to go on a study abroad. So they helped me set up a layaway program with them since I wanted to pay in full- they'd temporarily pay for the doll, but I'd pay them back in waves so I'd have money for my trip. I'm really glad, especially since they were horrified by the price ($799)!

13. Over the years my parents have paid for two of my dolls (Luts Chloe & Spiritdoll Holly) as birthday gifts, which is tremendously generous.

14. I have never asked for help in this way and don't think I ever would. That is what credit cards are for.

15. I recently had a bad interaction with someone who asked anyone she interacted with for money. From what I gathered during our conversation, she owed money to every collector she ever bought from or sold to.
      I am extremely leery now of anyone asking for money to help purchase a doll - or for any other reason. There's just too much opportunity and motive for fraud in this hobby, given how expensive BJDs are.
      If my family offered, I would be happy to accept a gift, but honestly, I'm too old, and these dolls are too expensive.