1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a Volks Full Choice Sato Only doll on your wishlist?

Apr 28, 2011

?
  1. F-44

2. F-43

3. F-40

4. F-39

5. F-38

6. F-37

7. F-36

8. F-35

9. F-32

10. F-27

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I've got a Sato doll (sunlight F-17) that I bought secondhand. I would love to get the SDGr body for him but that would require me to try a FCS Sato split, which would really really suck. I also really like F-40 but not enough to deal with doing FCS for him.

2. I can understand the desire to keep the SD17s (and 16s) limited, but keeping them Sato only is still extremely limiting...but maybe only limiting for us? Had forgotten the lack of option parts, other than sword and musket hands. I guess the more mature sculpts don't have the same popularity at home as they do abroad.

3. I think we see it as being much more limiting because Japan itself is far away from a lot of us, and even in the US, the Sumika can be 3000 miles away like it is for me. If I'm going to travel to California, I may as well just go to Japan at the rate flights are going.

But Sato is a doable day trip from a large chunk of Japan. A long, tiring day trip that can get pretty costly with the Shinkansen, but it's still a much easier trip than we see it as. I know people often complain about the lack of Volks standards, but I really do think that FCS functions as their large variety of standards to the Japanese.

I think SD17s are popular, but I'm on the fence about SD16 girls and how popular they are. Some heads seem to go over well like Ami but then others really bomb, like Garnet and Ruby.

4. I don't know...IH did that and lots of people were really unhappy

5. REALLY? Wow. I don't follow Ipplehouse much, they don't make anything I want to buy.

Well I think there was some backlash that Alice/Lorena/White rabbit Yos were re-released for NY Dolpa.

LOL! to the hit and miss SD16 gals :) They seemed to be trying to make something particularly for the American market, ignoring the fact that the U.S. market has been buying their classic dolls the entire time...

The SDgr girl is ok. I don't like how the hip joint pops out even for better posing. But it would be a popular edition to the FCS line as well.

And yes- even the Sato dolls are not out of reach for most Japanese collectors. They are very out of reach for the rest of the world.

6. Wow, there's a lot of love out there for darling Mr. Chipmunk Cheeks! (F-38!)

But the only other body he'd look good on besides the SD13 is the SD17. I have an SDGr body, and neither his head or the Williams really looks proportionate, I think, on that body, since it's the same height as the SD13, but so much thinner. But on the bigger SD17....*sigh*... Maybe he'll show up on that body one day, standing there on the display table of a dolpa......

7. I don't think there have been an instances of an FCS sculpt becoming a limited since that would defeat the "limited" aspect, but there have been a couple of one-offs haven't there? Or do they only use them as photo models? I know the reason I finally fell hard for the F-35 was because of the Ciera custom girl in Komame's Lil' Custom Lessons for Super Dollfie Vol.3. I can recall School Head one-offs but no FCS one-offs (not that we see most of them).

8. They do make FCS oneoffs. I know there have been some at some of the old LA tea party events - in particular I remember seeing photos of a tan F16 who had one H03 hand and one H05 hand, as well as some at NY Dolpa events. The year I won my Tohya oneoff in NYC, 2007, there was an F34 girl and F33 boy oneoff in the lineup. They also have them as Sumika oneoffs, as well. nikittin used to own a tan F19 oneoff, and I know I've seen others around, I just can't remember specifics.

9. They do use FCS sculpts for one offs frequently. rkold won a sunlight F19 one off from Sato one year, and a few years ago there was a F33 one off at NY Dolpa that I know off the top of my head, but there are somany more one offs we never see.

10. Riiight I remember the NY ones! I wish Volks documented them somehow. Seeing the monthly one-offs is my favorite thing about actually going to the Sumikas.

11. There are monthly one-offs at Sumikas??? Are they for sale or just show?? Do they have them in L.A.??

12. Available monthly one-offs?

My wallet just had hysterical flaming reflux...if any of them are male sculpts--

13. I am not sure if the LA Sumika has any one offs, but every Sumika in Japan has monthly one offs that you can put in for if you live there. They draw at the end of the month and notify the winners by mail. So there are actually hundreds of one offs in existence at any time and we will never know about most of them since they are not advertised online.

14. Yeah, they're not advertised and you're not allowed to take pictures of them. There was a totally adorable Hewitt at Studio Alta one time I was there and it was so frustrating not to be able to enter for him!
      It would be a cool portfolio for the Volks artists to have on personal blogs if they were allowed.

15. If they offered the SD17 and SD16 bodies (boy and girl) through FCS that'd make some of my decisions easier. I was actually surprised the SDGr went into FCS. I'm hoping the SDGr girl body is eventually available that way, too. As things stand, the only way for me to get my sunlight F-36 SD17 boy (without attempting to dye a body) would be through a Dream FCS . . .

As for One-offs, yes, they do often use FCS heads as well as School heads in One-offs. I used to follow a Japanese thread that said which sculpts ended up in which Sumika, and for a few months I went to the nearest Sumika to check out what they had on the release days. Only once did I participate in a jankenpon (you have to do janken if more than one person wants the same sculpt), for a gorgeous Amakusa. Lost, obviously, just as I lost at every Dolpa I ever went to. Sheesh. And the Ginza closing One-offs lotteries, all three rounds. For a One-off junkie, I've yet to win one :sweat.

I have a vague recollection of someone saying Volks does keep a record of One-offs, so you could say for an FCS that you'd like a similar faceup to a particular One-off, but I'm nore sure if that's true or not.

16. OMG! So unfair!!! They could that in L.A.!!! Just mail them over when they get the clothing/standard dolls in stock!!

17. I have a Sato wish - that the tenshi options (especially the handssss, omg I love option hands) came in sunlight skin! I know the tan isn't very popular in Japan, but it kinda sucks you can't even get those lovely hands in tan. :<

18. For me it's the scrounging up money, since I'd have to pay for the doll and a service. And then I'd have to find said service to do it. That and I'd want most of my heads on an SD17 body which isn't and probably won't be offered through the FCS. I kind of wish Volks did an FCS Lite version where you could just pick the body, head, resin color, and maybe some option hand parts and call it a day. I'm kind of a lazy ragamuffin.

19. So, yeah, speaking of Sato-only heads being used as one-offs, there's an absolutely gorgeous whiteskin F-40 painted by Ciera at the Studio Alta Sumika right now. Paired with a Valico Tony. ;________;
      Their little cards say that they are one-off number 659 and 670. @___@

20. It would be nice if the LA Sumika did the monthly one-off thing, but I wonder how well that would work since Volks seems to like to ship the dolls over instead of flying them over. Also do you actually have to visit the stores to put in for the doll?