1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anybody else who is happy with only one BJD?

Jul 23, 2019

1. When I was in a different, off-topic doll community, buying as many as possible was almost a moral imperative. I was considered unreasonable for not wanting the hot new thing.

If someone is happy with just one BJD, I feel no need to pressure them into getting more.

2. I have 7 on-topic BJD and don't foresee getting anymore. I know "sunk cost" is a fallacy but if I could actually get back what I paid for them, then I could definitely see reducing my collection down to one Bambicrony Emily. Sadly selling BJDs has, in my experience, always been at a sizable loss.

3. Honestly, had the boy my roomie ordered for me arrived within the estimated time span, I'd likely be in the same boat as OP. He was intended to shell a particular OC and that was going to be that, but then he didn't arrive and I felt like I needed a doll to carry around for a convention we were going to so I wound up with a secondhand boy who went with me, and... well, now I have three haha. No desire to get more, though, as each is shelling one of my OCs and I'm happy enough with that.

4. My husband only has one doll at the moment and has been very happy with just the one doll. He has had his one doll for about four years and hasn’t wanted another doll. He works on projects and outfits and props for his doll and is super satisfied with that. I on the other hand have gotten countless dolls over the years and some stick and some move on but my solid collection at the moment is quite large. I enjoy have my dolls interact with each other and when I go to play with dolls I usually grab a couple to play with at a time. I really enjoy the dynamic of having multiple dolls but it is not for everyone. Often times I like having the doll and working on the doll more than the clothes and accessories so my dolls tend to be a little undressed because I am happy with them just being dolls. Sometimes I see my husband’s doll with all her clothing options and get a little jealous but I know we just enjoy our dolls differently.

5. Absolutely!

Teddy

6. Thanks for the nice comments! :)
      @Alrick: thank you! That photo is one of the first few. He wears a Hello Kitty pullover, and a piece of human sized wig. I like that he is so good with poses.
      @alehandrita : He always looks happy. :) That bunny was a great present.
      @phanuel : I am sure he enjoys it! I just spoiled him with different acessories, and I'm afraid that it won't ends in the near future.:sweat
      @Bella6 : I totally understand it! I heard that dolls duplicate really fast.;) I don't think when I bought him, that I won't want another. I just fell in love with the sculpt, but I don't had money when IOS realesed him. (I just bought Iplehouse Victor before I saw him, but sold it because of bonding issues) Later I bought him to shell an anime character, who is became my favourite and this sculpt looks pretty similar. That was very strange because I love the sculpt before I saw that series. He is not the first charachter I wanted to shell, but I bought doll only for this one. I don't know what makes a doll special, but I think that the bond does. One day you will buy a doll just because you like it, and he/she will be more special, than the other resin ones.
      @Meggiekarp : Yes they are really good for shelling oc. Better than sims? Maybe. Sims is better when you want to build a house for your charachters. I was a builder type player, maybe that's the reason. But you can touch your dolls, and that's why dolls better. (and for tiny props, you can play with!!:sweat)
      @Pluto18 : I am picky too.:sweat In my opinion it means, that you think about twice what you buy on your money. That's not bad. Lot's of dolls are not look good without dress, and that make me feel:eek: when I see a body I don't like. And lots of sculp looks boring, to bring the doll home. I understand that you can't find a doll too easy, when you adore one, and nothing seems as good, what you already have. Special bond is understandable, your doll was your friend's and this is very great. And the bonding thing is very strange... I mean the bonding itself. It's like a kind of love, and as I see, it's different for everybody. Maybe you can look for a doll second hand. Lot's of collectors like preowned dolls with history better than new ones. Or you can wait and see if you want another doll, or just adore your precious one!:)
      @Tangmalangaloo : I follow my favourite brands, and like their new dolls. Most in this hobby got lots of dolls, this is normal. My boy just have got 3 pairs of shoes (a sneaker and two boots), and I am working on his wig right now. I can't find any wig for him, but for me it's ok, I like wigmaking. And I sew his clothes (except his two pullover. They are tiny child's clothes). I am a beginner in both wigmaking and sewing, so they are not too great, but it's my playtime. I enjoy it. I don't think I ever buy him anything fancy. Bjd clothes are so exepensive... (it's a big luck for me, because I am a bjd shoe maniac.)
      @Marimor : I was sure I'll have more doll that I can place in my room.:lol:Yes I wanted them for the different moods they show, and for making faceups, different coloured wigs, all different bodytype, height etc. (If I stayed like that I think that I have the 3 of the Naruto's cast, my two oc and my boy, I actually have.) I am not playin him daily, so it's not really seems like I do too much with him. I already have plans for him, but I am a slow person. There are lots of things to do on him, and I am not really rush myself. At this point I am happy, that I don't want another doll. I never finish 6 dolls' face up, and clotheses.:sweat
      @RabbidBunnies : It's confusing when a girl has got 8x3cm feet. My boy have 8,3x3,3cm feet. I wanted a small feet girl.
      @ShiroOtaku : I am on the same. I think that if you have lots of dolls, you still have your favourite, who earns more attention. Now
      @haliemerson : That's nice that your husband is in the hobby! As I see he perfected the one doll happiness!:lol:

That became very long post!:sweat Thanks for the commets, guys! I like to read them, and feeling a bit safer in the DoA community.

7. I'm currently happy with my only doll. Even if I were to get more, I'm probably just gonna be getting a girl doll so that they can be a pair :)

8. I went into the hobby knowing I would be a less is more kind of person. Not quite a one doll person as I have a 2nd on order, but they feel like they fill such different niches for me that each of them kind of feels like its own thing. My first doll is a 68cm boy from Loongsoul and my second is a yosd anime style sculpt from 2D.

I've never been the collecting sort, and though I could see the appeal to bringing a bunch of my OC's to life, the more practical side of space/time means I'm not inclined to follow through with that anytime soon. I do enjoy looking at all the different sculpts, but over the years I've developed really good self-control because if I didn't have it I would be living in a zoo do to my love of animals.

9. I think that that's completely fine, and it's probably better for you financially as well haha. I want to get a few more dolls, but I don't necessarily need to have a humongous collection, and if you told me I couldn't buy any new dolls, I'd definitely be okay with just having the one boy I have now.

10. I would love being happy with only one doll, and I think that it's perfectly normal and way better for your bank account. Some doll owners find special meaning in all their dolls and some may find that special meaning in only one doll. We're all in this hobby for the love of our dolls and the amount you have doesn't invalidate that at all.

11. I've originally had three dolls, now I only own one (similarly to you) :sweat I had impulsively bought them while I was waiting for my grail boy, and eventually I sold them to new, better homes. I feel like I can't handle caring for more than one doll as fully. So I'm quite happy to be focused on only one doll, and because they are ideal in my eyes, it never ceases to be fun :chibi

12. I swear it's like only child syndrome or something. Personally I really like having the one doll. I like that I have all his measurements down so when I'm shopping around it makes it a lot easier to just look for items just for him, and I can mix and match as much as I want and never have to worry about wishing I had a certain outfit in another size.

I might get another one someday, but right now it's a luxury I can't afford, so it's just the one for now!

13. Soon I'll have three BJD's and I'm eyeing up a couple of others. Having said that, I don't like too many of anything, it becomes overwhelming. I currently have 18 dolls altogether of varying types - clay, silicone, resin and a couple of collector action dolls. It seems it's a mistake to look into other types of doll collecting because I will inevitably find something I like.

14. Yesssss I've always thought the same! I find it hard to have more than one doll because I dunno who to give the attention to! :...(

When I only had one all I wanted to do was spoil the crap out of her.

15. I think I would prefer having a small collection. I have such a hard time picking new dolls now that I have my grail, but it's always easier to spoil a small collection of 1 to 3 rather than a much larger collection! At least in my financial situation!

16. I think it’s nice to have a small collection too. I think I might feel a bit limited with one doll especially if they have a firm personality. I may not want to experiment with different styles of clothes or wigs too much. I don’t know if I could financially or spatially handle a large collection but I think 3 seems like a good number.

17. @Triexiz I think it's awesome you have a single doll you're happy with. I own 3 large dolls and it can be difficult to manage them in terms of storage space and where to display them, etc.

Like you, I'm also having trouble finding a female doll I really want, so have just been watching and waiting to see what comes out. It also gives me time to save up for outfits for my existing dolls.

18. I wish I could be content with just one doll. :sweat I really like the idea of having only one that I spoil the heck out of and build a collection of clothes and other items around. The times I tried to do this in the past though, either the doll didn't seem versatile enough, or if I had just a girl I missed having a boy, and if I had just a boy inevitably there were outfits I wanted that I wanted a girl for. So, I need at least one boy and one girl, except I don't really like the dynamic of having a pair like that, then I need at least 3 dolls. :whee: This is where I'm at now...

19. I'm only planning to get two dolls (a pair). I'm looking to shell out my OTP, and I haven't actually ordered yet because I really want to get the perfect two dolls for these characters on the first try since I don't want any more than that. I'm kind of minimalist, and easily overwhelmed with clutter so I'm the sort of person who is always getting rid of things rather than buying more. I really wish I knew for sure what bodies I was going to go with, because I can't WAIT to spoil them with a ton of props and outfits. I have a whole long list that I keep adding to of all the things I want to make for them. <3

20. I was happy with 1 at first because they are expensive but once you step into the 2 territory it is all over.... I have 12 now.