1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anywhere you refuse to take your doll? why?

Aug 10, 2008

1. I wouldn't take them to cemeteries because I wouldn't know how to deal with the possible situation of a relative or a security person asking me about why I was there..., or to *most* doctor's appointments. I wouldn't take them to my parents' house (though I still live with them). They don't like my dolls at all, and the best thing to avoid the criticism is to take them out when they're not around.

2. Uhm...no where, really. I just don't feel comfortable taking my dolls off my property. I'll take them to the front or back yard, or anywhere in the house, but anywhere off property I start to panic xD

3. Well for me it would really depend on who I was with XD I'm an art student so I'm pretty sure most of my peers would find him cool, but he would absolutely not leave my bag if I took him out of my room. He fits pretty nicely in my bag so he can just peak out and once I get my permanent bag he'll be even more secure xD Amusement and water parks are strickly out of the question unless for the purpose of a photo shoot. Basically anywhere I'd have to leave him unattended for an amount of time.

4. Yeah people who are afraid of dolls can be vicious. I have one guy I will never let hold my boyXD I intend to make up a little tee for him saying "DMs little helper". I'm a dm myself and I fully intend to bring my boy with me to at least one session cause I know my players will find it funny, and so one of my friends can play with him a bit.

5. Hmm. I try to keep my dolls in my home or if I do take them somewhere they're under my supervision at all times. School is definitely a no no for me.

6. Mods, if this is inappropriate, in the wrong place, or a duplicate topic, please feel free to move or delete as needed.

So I was reading the funny/horrible story threads, and I started wondering about where we bring our dolls, and if there's a place or occasion where doing so would be considered out of bounds.

Do you take your doll everywhere?

If so, why?

If not, where do you take him/her/them?

Does how long you've had a particular doll or dolls in general effect this?

Do you think that there are places where it is down right inappropriate or even just plain old inadvisable to bring a doll, and if so, where?

If an owner brings a doll to such a place and misfortune befalls it, how at fault would you consider the owner for bring the doll to a place that, in hindsight at least, was inadvisable/inappropriate/unsuitable?

7. I think when you have your first doll and is the only one you have...the first month you like to take her/him everywhere and she/he is with you always xD That happened to me, but I don't know anybody who takes their doll with them everytime...maybe only in home but not outside

8. I don't take my dolls out much because I don't have a need to show them off to people outside of the community, or my friends or family. They are the people that have opinions that matter to me, so they're the ones that get to see the doll.

I do take dolls to meet-ups and conventions, but that's because it's an environment that will help me meet other collectors, or have the doll as something that starts off a conversation, enabling me to feel more comfortable in the environment, with strangers. (I'm notoriously bad at making conversation with people I don't know.)

9. I don't take my dolls "everywhere" with me. I really can't, I have children and that means most of the time when I go out it is like mobilizing a small battalion. There is always a last minute grab for coats, shoes, toys, snacks, ect. It is better now that they are older but still with just hubby and I that is one child per adult, the odds are only slightly in our favor because we are bigger than them, LOL. It does not make sense for me to try to add dolls into that mess. It would just be too much to try to manage. However some days when I am feeling very clingy or stressed I do consider it. If we are going no further than my parents' home I will go ahead and do it because I know I won't be trying to manage two children out and about while carrying a doll. I just have to load them into a car and get them back out again. Not a big deal now that the kids in question are 5 and 9 and own dolls of their own. If my kids are not with me and I am in the mood I will take my dolls almost anywhere including restaurants, stores, and anime conventions. I do it because I enjoy taking them out and because I have some mental health disorders including SPD and social anxiety that make it very hard for me to be out in large groups of people. I find that having my dolls with me makes it far easier for me to cope. I hate to compare myself to a small child but in a way it is a far analogy, I am like a toddler with a comfort item. At conventions especially my dolls help me from becoming as overstimulated and having panic attacks (I also keep an MP3 player with me at all times so I can block out noise if necessary). After 8 years of going to conventions the past 2 years going with my dolls have been the best for me. I haven't had panic attacks or freaked out at all and I didn't need two weeks after to recover.

Do you take your doll everywhere?
      No

conventions, meet ups, my parents' house and occasionally when I just feel like it.

There are certain dolls I prefer to take to conventions with me because I find them more reassuring and I just think they are sturdier. The same is true for the dolls I am more likely to take out when I am feeling clingy. However taking a doll to a meetup is more likely to be my newest doll so I can show off. LOL

Do you think that there are places where it is down right inappropriate or even just plain old inadvisable to bring a doll, and if so, where?
      I think a person should use their best discretion. If you don't think you can keep your doll safe then don't take him/her. Anywhere with a lot of people is a risk and should be considered carefully.

If an owner brings a doll to such a place and misfortune befalls it, how at fault would you consider the owner for bring the doll to a place that, in hindsight at least, was inadvisable/inappropriate/unsuitable?

That depends. If you take your doll out somewhere, sit it down and some one knocks it over, that is probably your fault. Accidents happen and you cannot expect everyone to be on the look out for your expensive collectibles at all times. That is your responsibility. The only time the fault falls to some one else is if that person rips the doll out of your hands and hurls it to the ground or purposefully damages it in some other way. Even then you may find it difficult to get some one else to pay for their error.

10. Maybe so where like a large (not BJD) con where people would know what BJD are and be all grabby hands and webooish?
      (like an anime con?) because to be honest its more dangerous to take you doll to a place where BJD are known (such as how much they cost...)

11. Do you take your doll everywhere?

No, although I do take Chae-ri places most people wouldn't dream of taking their dolls (see third section).

If so, why?

See above.

I take Chae-ri to work with me. Really. I work behind the counter at a laundromat which is privately owned. The manager and owner not only know of my doll hobby but are faintly amused by it and the manager even paid for a bunch of doll clothes for me on one occasion. I keep her behind the counter, out of public view (and grabbing range), where only I can see her. Sometimes when it's very slow and I have no other work to do I will sit behind the counter and sew things for her, and several of my regular customers also know about my hobby and like to see and admire Chae-ri. It's really cool.

I also took her to a SF convention shortly after she came home and carried her everywhere with me. We prowled the con suite, watched anime, and she was the darling of the dealer's room. It was a wonderful debut for her and I can't wait till this year's MobiCon so people can see the work I've done on her.

Not really. Chae-ri's only been with me since May of last year. Before her, I took other dolls to work with me, but since shortly after her arrival Ri-ri's been the compantion doll of choice.

Well, I wouldn't take her to church with me, but that's kind of a cultural thing. It's part of my fundamentalist roots--no dolls allowed in church, not even in the nursery with other toys, because of that whole idol/graven image thing. I don't really carry Chae-ri out and about with me to stores or restaurants or anything.

This actually happened to me. My first Megumi was stolen from me in transit because she was in a train case with all her clothes and accessories and I guess somebody thought it was a purse. I was extremely upset, and to this day I don't let Chae-ri out of my sight unless I know she's safe. If she's not sitting behind my work counter or locked up safe in the car, she's tucked away in my backpack which is on my back, thank you. I don't keep her in a separate carrier because of what happened to Megumi.

12. Is there anywhere you refuse to take your doll? why?

I refuse to take my doll anywhere there might be children. Simply because A. Kids tend to be dirty, B. They tend to be grabby and don't exactly understand why they can't play with the big dollie. C. I dislike children. XD
      Other than that I won't take my doll somewhere I have to do a lot of walking or where I have to pose for photos in costumes. ie: LARPS, Cons, Fairs, etc.

13. I live in the top 20 safest place to live in America (looked it up one day just for kicks). So I'm not worried about Emily being stolen. Instead the only time I wouldn't take her is if I knew I wouldn't be able to keep my eye on her. I think that as long as one does their best to keep watch of their dolls things seem to go smoothly. Also I don't take her with me if I know she won't be enjoyed. My boyfriend likes my dolls, but he gets annoyed if I always bring them to his place.

14. Thats a hard question, I've just been taking pictures of my doll in my house and around my property. I don't really care for what people think of me since most people who would pass by are strangers and I could care less for them (maybe I'm mean). I do have a friend (loads of them actually) and she loves to play with the doll when she comes over...carefully of course.

15. I honestly can't be bothered with constantly explaining everything about my doll, or hearing what people I know think about them, so I rarely take them anywhere.
      I take them out for photo's by myself occasionally and they go along to events but never daily things like groceries shopping, school or visting my grandparents or something. I do sometimes take one to my parents to take pictures in their yard and make use of their power tools xD