1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there pressure to make your BJD the BEST?

Dec 23, 2009

1. Ok, but effigy wins for best All-Things-Included backstory!

2. I'm not so much pressured as...I want to keep adding more. My dolls usually have so much going on that pieces of their outfits get overlooked. Even so, I want to keep adding and changing, not to impress, but because I get bored too easily. I want my characters, when completed, to pretty much stay the same...but then I find some new accessory in the marketplace and buy it anyway -_-

3. I thought it wasn't a competition :lol:

For myself, I've always had this thing where I absolutely hate being looked down on, and even if people arn't doing so, and even if they don't care at all. In my mind I just go 'Augh, Tamesis! Why can't you be like all the other Mo's!? They make you look like a peice of junk, which makes me look like a peice of junk :...( '

Maybe I'm just crazy :sweat
      If anyone watches Soul Eater, I'm kinda like Death the Kid. If everything aint perfect I... I... Oooh, I dun wanna think about it *_*

4. To each his own. I don't think there's any pressure on owners to get all their dolls to have elf ears/fangs/10 arms/two heads. Unless of course those modifications are in line with the character/s you have in mind.

Each doll is special in its own way.

5. No I don't, lol. And of course "best" is highly subjective anyway. A lot of my guys (over half) look like average people, because that's what their characters are supposed to look like. They're run of the mill humans, nothing more, nothing less. However, that doesn't mean it isn't fun putting together their look. Making them look like everyday humans means finding the right wigs, getting detailed clothing so that their jeans look like mini human jeans and not just doll clothes etc. However, I don't do the whole bjd thing to compete with other people--the only person that needs to be impressed by my dolls is myself.

I have some fantasy characters too, but like the human characters I do my own thing with them. They have their own world and story, and I didn't create it to keep up with fellow bjd owners.

6. in a way yes, and another, no. I think the way the galleries work, a post is much more likely to get attention and comments if the dolls look very exquisit, or if its a photostory, if the story is very well written or captivating, and the pictures do such a story justice.

While a lot of stories can be a little ridiculous sometimes (like effigy's epicly awesome example XD), i know its up to whoever makes it to decide on how it works. And i can't say i dont have any ridiculous stories either (hmm, which sounds worse, the deaf telepath who meets and falls in love with a blind/mute girl, or the shadow mage who ends up being hired by a godspawn little girl and ends up harboring the soul of another god in his body for a while? I mean seriously, what am i thinking? XD)

on the other hand, i think its just really fun to see what sorts of things i can come up with, and i'm not trying to top anyone else, i'm just trying to come up with things i can work with for stories, and characters i can enjoy playing with. As for appearances, i just like making whatever clothes i can. its fun, regardless of how elaborate or "normal' they end up looking. I've got fantasy type and normal/modern characters, so the way i've got it worked, anything goes =]

7. My first two dolls, Nozomi-Cho and Kisho-Ryuu, are - just themselves. 'Zomi's perpetually about to enter college, Kisho's her BF, and a year younger. Most days, their biggest problems are "what to wear" in the morning, and "what's for dinner" at night.

The third one, Phoenix, is the one who brought all the bigger problems along with her - she's a Magick user, but not one with a lot of control - and certainly not "the best" Magick user, LOL! Victoria, Felaion, Sarah-Satomi and Cygnus are all here (partly) because of her attempts to harness the power of the Universe.

My next doll . . . may very well be someone very ordinary.

So, yeah - it's all down to each individual doll for me, who they are and what they do (or try to do!).

~Bruce

8. I don't really try to make my dolls epic. Lol.
      I just turn my dolls into the characters they're supposed to be. So if this particular character has powers, and an insane look, so be it. If the character is just a regular person dealing with the RL problems that teens go through, and have a generic look. That's fine too.
      I think, as long as you're content with the way your doll looks, it shouldn't matter. But if you think your doll can go through a bit of a change, mess around with the idea.

I mean, I have seen some pretteh insane dolls, that get me to think, "I wish I had that doll! * A*". Lol. But that doesn't mean I'ma make my doll try to outshine this other doll. 'Cause they are who they are. No need to change them around to impress other people.. And I think I kinda went off topic there. XD

9. The only pressure I have is that my own standards are
      quite high. I want everything to look perfect in my eyes,
      otherwise I won't be satisfied with it.
      And ok, when I see an epically gorgeous doll I'm like 'OMGasdfghjkl;
      DO WANT' but I rather use it as inspiration for my own dolls.
      (read: not exact copy but tips for use of materials and all that)
      But it's not a competition, so just do what YOU think is the best.
      You're supposed to enjoy it, y'know. ;)

10. Spot on!

Is this like peer pressure? that you do the same things as others just to impress them or feel accepted even though that's not your real self? :huh?: it seems like it...because what's 'the best' for me may not be 'the best' for you. You know, different strokes for different folks :P

It suffices to say that my dolls are already perfect for me, and they're just your average kind of person. I should also add that i don't like fantasy or non-human dolls...I admire them as other people's dolls but i don't want them for myself. Moreover, I only feel pressure when they don't look how I want them to be, in other words, when i can't find the right looks for them or can't bond with them.

11. Not at all. My dolls were always meant to be ordinary. So the only "pressure" I have is to make them look nice by ordinary standards.

I actually quite like "bland" dolls, they just feel more relatable to me. Of course, to each his own. If the owner wants an exotic doll, then that's fine. Some exotic dolls are very beautiful, I just can't imagine myself living with one. xD;

12. to add to what I wrote before, I don't feel any pressure from anyone to make mine stand out...its just what I like..I like the most unique I possible can get..no peer pressure from anyone!:)

13. I think what matters the most is that your doll is the best it can be TO YOU. A doll that has a regular life and ordinary clothes is no lesser than a god or demon, if that doll is what the ownder wants it to be.

14. Well it's pretty much like with everything I do. I don't do anything half assed. So I do try to make my dolls the best for what they are. I like to have my boys stand out somewhat. But mainly because I have fun doing it that way.

15. My doll is bald and nude XD How plan-er can you get?
      I want to make her like a regular person...

16. I have fantasy characters and "normal" characters and the two sometimes intersect. As others have said, I only strive for epic in terms of improving my face-ups, photography, etc.. I admire the people who do the incredible face-ups and photography and presentation-their skills are astonishing and worthy of admiration. But they don't make me feel inferior or full of a desire to create wild backstories or face-ups or costumes. They just make me want to improve my own skills.

This is an oddly literary hobby, which is one of the reasons I like it. The visual representation of the story behind the doll.

17. I don't feel PRESSURE, but I DO like to make my dolls look as good as they can.

I happen to like certain costumes and wigs--and the more elaborate and colorful, the better! I DISLIKE street clothes--I see them all the time and find them boring for MY dolls. (I think they look great on other dolls--I don't think less of other dolls because of them--it's just not my style!)

I think people should dress their dolls they way they want to and forget about trying to out-do other people... because, basically, you can't (there will always be someone out there who can blow everyone else away), and because your dolls are YOUR dolls--so you shouldn't worry about what anyone else is doing, just enjoy what they do maybe, and enjoy your own dolls because they are yours.

I do feel a bit of envy for certain looks and outfits and such, but I still enjoy my own dolls the most and love them no matter what and don't wish to have anyone else's dolls. And I don't feel any pressure. Maybe it helps that I'm older??? Anyway, I keep saying it here, again and again... Other people's dolls and opinions and choices don't matter. It's important to do what YOU enjoy with your own dolls. No one is really comparing... and it's just not that healthy to do that to yourself --or your dolls.

18. Only my opinion is valid. To me, my dolls can be better but they are the best already.
      (Even though their wardrob can stand some expansion, their faceup some uniqueness, better hair, better eyes, etc etc...)
      Pressure from me to myself about spending more, yes. Competing wise, I have no real-life BJD friends, so nope, no pressure otherwise.

19. My dolls all have elf ears, but only because I think they're cute, not because I think dolls should be fantasy-oriented. They've got their way-cool costumes and leather (boys) and gowns (girls) and have the potential to be awesome and amazing ... but in day-to-day life they just hang out in blue jeans and shirts and spend most their time in their pajamas. Sometimes I see other people dolls on the forum and think "Wow that's an amazing doll... I should make a costume like that for mine!" But then I get lazy about it, so competition is definitely out.

20. Uhm.. sure. I think that's what makes me strive harder; not in an attempt to outdo everyone but to make myself feel good with what I've accomplished. It's a selfish complex in a way but it's expected because I've invested a lot of creative and emotional drive into my dolls. :)