1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll a shield for you?

Nov 12, 2011

1. No-one is being mean, some people are being realistic and others still are being supportive. This is a debate.
      The wording went- "Deep deep down what reason are they in your life?... Are they really there just to look at?---or are they covering you too?" The last bit of which I think you'll find is causing the friction.

2. *shrug* So do I, but why fight fire with fire?

3. I hardly think that what I said in any way amounts to flaming the poster. But that aside, I've reported it. The mods can decide if they want to allow this sort of thing on the site or not.

Either way, I still find it rude and entirely inappropriate.

4. I agree with everything Brightfires touched on.

The original post felt to me like a poorly disguised, condescending religious suggestion...

5. Which is why my original statement wasn't directed to you in the first place. I don't have any problem with the way you stated your opinion. It was the person who decided to bring in the "Kool-Aid" reference.

6. "I learned I would much rather spend time with nature and my close friends with the same views on life...I'd rather have few things and be just filled with love than to have material objects that can not be taken with me to the next life."

I don't believe you will be able to bring nature or your friends or love into the next life, either..?

Frankly, it's annoying when people say things like, "don't need them to survive." Okay, you don't need a lot of things...are you going to give everything away to charity and eat out of a garbage can because that's the minimum of what you absolutely need to survive? No, you aren't. I will help others, and I will treat myself once in while.

Material does not equal bad.

7. To the OP: I am happy that you found a way to live your life in as fulfilling way as possible ^^ None of what I say in the following is meant to offend you - I think religion is a legit way to happiness, and actually, I am also religious, though probably in a different way than you. So rock on!

Here the debate part now:

My opinion on this is, that "God" can be a shield as well. And not in the biblical sense of "You are my shield". I just think that many people hide between hypocritical religiousness to be liked by others or to "have a right" to judge others. You don't need religion to survive, neither. It just makes life more pleasant and less scary... like dolls do.

How do your dolls make you feel?

I love to look at and touch beautiful things. So, I'd say, my dolls are a very pleasant experience.

Deep deep down what reason are they in your life?

They are a wonderful hobby. A hobby that fits my taste for a hobby perfectly. You can be creative with them, you can play with them like children do (I mean play pretend, or what it is called), if you have children, you can play with the dolls together with them, or you can simply sit and stare at them, and you can just forget them for a day or two if you feel like that. They are versatile; they are recreation.

Are they really there just to look at?---or are they covering you too

I like BJDs. And anime, manga, lolita, just like you used to; and many other things - RPG and tabletop games, PC games, nature, books, drawing, writing, and of course, my family and friends. I am religous, though not Christian or even monotheistic. And maybe one or two of these things act as a shield sometimes, on a bad day. But they don't do permanently.

I think everything we do can act as a shield against reality for a certain time of our life. It is when we begin to rely on one single thing to cover us when it becomes dangerous.

8. This topic is similar to this active debate thread - Do you feel that ABJD's compensate for something you don't have IRL?

Finding a new direction for oneself can be a positive and life-changing experience, and it is easy to see how we would want to share our new perspective with others - new perspectives and insights can feel exciting! However, Den of Angels isn't really the venue for a deep exploration of a personal choice, which choosing to forgo material objects and hobbies is.

Please remember that keeping a question specific but also general enough so that others can contribute with their own perspectives is key, and that controversial topics like religion, in this case, are discouraged.