1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll based off an existing chara?

Mar 27, 2006

?
  1. Yes - he/she is based on a character from a movie, book, anime, etc.

2. Yes - he/she is based off of an existing RP/story character

3. No - he/she has their own personality, looks, etc.

4. Both - I have some dolls based on existing characters and some not.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. my dollies are based on my fav anime !! =)
      that's why i like dolls with big big eyes!!

2. Some have existed for 20 years. SOme just told me who they were. Some are inbetween.

3. I made up Corpselight for a Shadowrun game my fiancee was running, he was designed to be a basic elven rockerboy, I really had a hard time understanding him at first, then I started thinking about the reputation of musicians, a log time ago I went to a Big Day Out music fetsival on the Gold Coast, the headlining bands were Korn Marilyn Manson and Hole. I really enjoyed Korn and Manson put on a hell of a show, then Hole came on. Now Courtenay love didn't do anything beyond the things the singers from the other two bands did, but she was booed, called a slut, all kinds of nonsense. It got me wondering about the differences in what men and women can get away with. Corpselight suddenly became an exploration of the excesses I might have indulged in were I male (I am assuming I would be the same magnitude of attractiveness as I am in female form). After a little time he got away from me and started to become his own person. Next thing you know he saw Hound and demanded a body, then he demanded a body for his band, his cousin and his wife, now he is also demanding a body for each of his siblings and parents, and for his siblings children. He is getting a little out of control...

4. My boy Soubi is based off Soubi from loveless!

5. I make up characters for my dolls. I have the feeling that each of them may end up playing multiple characters one day. ^^ In that sense they'll be actors, I guess.

6. Yes, both of my boys are based on literary characters.

Saint-Germain is based on the character by the same name, from Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's series of books. Saint-Germain is probably one of my all-time favorite literary characters, and I couldn't resist having him in BJD form, and had his face up (and resin color) done to reflect the book character's coloring.

Milo is very, very loosely based on Milo Sturgis, from Jonathan Kellerman's novels. However, unlike Saint-Germain, he got his name on the spur of the moment, when I opened the box and saw those green eyes. His personality is more fluid, however, so I guess you could say is is more "inspired by" the character rather than actually being just like the character.

Michelle

7. My doll's name and personality are original. However, I have written him into a story that I'm working on. I guess it's a cameo appearance. XD

8. Some of my dolls are based off of preexisting characters, but my own characters. Willem and Erik are from a novella I've been slowly working on for about a year now.

9. My first doll (who hasn't arrived yet) was definitely named long before I found her. It's a character name I've used for years in whatever RPG or MMORPG I've played - Harlowe.

The next project (or third project) I want to do an Ode' to Ani Difranco doll, so her name is of course decided. =)

10. It's a toss-up. Bailey is a boy I have written about and drawn many times. I don't know if I would have made my doll into Bailey, except when my sister was picking out a wig for him, she saw the blonde one and thought of Bailey immediately. When I saw it on him, I thought of him, too. And his eyes were the right color. It was just too right! :] Dutch was an original, however, although I'll probably start drawing him eventually which would complete the cycle going the other way. ^^ I like to showcase the characters in as many mediums as possible to make them recognizable to people.

11. I wonder if my sister will ever be similarly influential... XD I blab about all of my roleplays and random stories to her, so she knows my characters really well. I was actually sad she didn't get to come when I went to pick Roo out. I would have liked her input :'D

12. Only one of my dolls is based off of a previously-created character (not an OC-- it's Chrono, from Chrono Crusade). The rest are just come-as-they-do personalities and styles.

13. heh, well she agreed to proofread anything I write so I bombarded her with my characters for over a year! :p She's a doll (no pun intended!) about this kind of stuff... it's harder for me to keep up with her My Little Pony RP characters. :(

14. My next boy is based off of a character. Shou wasn't originally, but now that I've found my next boy, Shou fits into his story, so Shou is actually now based on a character, but he didn't start out that way ^_^;;

15. My characters always come into being in strange ways, through RPs, stories, dreams and sometimes through dolls.
      I bought my first BJD doll planning for her to be a doll version of one of characters from my own stories but when she arrived I changed my mind completely about that. It's difficult for me to find dolls that look like the characters in my head but it's something I've always wanted to do. We'll see! I'd be looking at spending an awful lot of money if I wanted each character immortalized in doll form! o_o;

16. Okay I admit it. My characters are becoming my dolls.

James: He was originally created in a rolepiay in which he was a bounty hunter/catholic priest in a sick and twisted group call 'The Cross'. He and a group of others from the same group disbanded and formed their own group to destroy 'The Cross' So he became the leader of the 'Rogues of the Cross'. People really loved the roleplay, so I began making it into James's life story. I liked the idea of BJDs and wanted to ctreate one without any of my characters. When my eyes fell upon Souldoll Lune, I could hear James screaming at me that it was his body.

Claudius: Was more of a joke character/muse that became a really solid character with a history. He's the slut of my characters because he's married to two women and is dating four guys. None of the dolls had really called out to me with him, but then when I saw Lupinus on Souldoll, Claudie did the same thing as James. A funny thing about Claudius is a bit of his personality is based off my dog, Max.

Augustin: I created him from my love of vampires, Anne Rice books, and the fact that my mom told me that she was going to name me Augustine when I was born. It didn't go through, so Augustin started out as the vampire version of myself. Over the course of a few years, he became his own character and the Hound Normal skin looked just like I wanted Augustin to.

Lunara: She was based off my old cat, Eleanor and was my first character. Since so many people liked Lunara, I wanted to turn her into a doll. None of the female dolls really appealed to me though. When I was looking for a doll for my boyfriend's character that he would like, I stumbled across Cerebus Project Delf Lishe. Her face and body was so much like Lunara, I knew that she was the doll for Lunara.

17. My Yo boys are Akito and Yuki from Fruits Basket manga.
      Akito is a Rengemaru ( I didn't know that akito is a girl that dress like a boy)
      Yuki is a Yuki .
      But they act different from manga.
      In fact Yuki loves Akito ( in the manga he hates him)

18. Oh heck yes. Every one of them is. The only exception was the unexpected Rei Tenshi from Volks.

19. I don't so much think Reila is based off a previous RP character~ because he's changed SO much since I got him back in august I feel as if he's starting to create himself more (Or maybe I'm helping to create him more?) My second doll that I should be ordering in the next month isn't based off another character eihter. The biggest connection Izumi has is the fact that when I think of the name "Izumi" I think of Jrockers and most Izumi's have blue hair or something..blue so ...Izumi has that o_o; Blue Hair..

20. Originally both Megumi and Jun were not based on any story in particular

But I'd been entertaining the entire Angel Hunt story for a while, and alot of people I know kept saying they'd love to see it as a manga <-- which I&#8217;m too lazy to draw >_<

So it got rearranged a bit into a written story, written for Megumi and Jun to begin with. The rest of mine are all characters from said story. But in a way not, they've evolved a bit since then, after getting them in person, their actual personalities clashed a bit with that of the first draft in the story, so I just rewrite according to them and what they are doing and even try to include their 'real life' going ons [because it's fun to try and work it all in without clashing the original story].

And now I'm gathering alot of the main characters in the Story because they are too cool NOT to have in resin form XD

So yes and no, a little of both ^_^,