1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll based off an existing chara?

Mar 27, 2006

?
  1. Yes - he/she is based on a character from a movie, book, anime, etc.

2. Yes - he/she is based off of an existing RP/story character

3. No - he/she has their own personality, looks, etc.

4. Both - I have some dolls based on existing characters and some not.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. My dolls all have their own personalities :)
      I have some characters of my stories who I'd love to see dollyfied, but that would be a mission imposible sadly enough. (you know sculpt wise, insane wigs etc)
      I tried to blend in some of their character traits/personalities, but my dolls refuse to accept it :huh?:
      So maybe I'll have to do it the other way 'round.

2. What are peoples thoughts on character dolls whether they be based on your own character, someone else's character, a TV, manga or book character?

3. Well, I like when Dolls cosplay a character from Anime Manga or game. It's cool too see that ^.^ I even recently thought about buy two dolls so I could make them look like two character from a favorite book series of mine.

However, for evey doll I get I make up a character them. I only have one doll so far, but I plan on getting three. I would love to make doll characters of my friends but I fear I wouldn't do the character justice.

I saw your thread ealier. So yeah o.o

4. There's already a thread on this. While many people are fine with it, there's a portion of people who think that if you're not using an original character it is just mooching off of someone else's creativity. Also, unless you say EVERY single time that you mention or post pictures of your dolls, you're verging on a copywrite issue.

5. All my dolls need to be a character, or I don't bond with them too well. That being said, not all the characters are my own creation, though most of them are. But many of my chars are from role-playing, and so I have chars that belong in the story, but aren't my own.

And, sometimes a few of them will cosplay as other characters from literature or movies. Though...since the minimees, I don't have to do that so much anymore because I have the character as the character himself.

6. I'm not very good at creating my own characters. I do have a few, but I don't fiddle with them in my mind or draw them too often. But it would be nice to have dolls of them. So, no, I don't create my own characters. I look at dolls and think they're gorgeous and "oooh, I want one!" but if I don't have a character in mind, I won't buy it.
      My first doll is going to be exclusively Tsuzuki. That's what I'm getting the Camine for. For me, it's about having a beautiful and physical tribute to a character I love, and aldo a doll I can use to dress up instead of cosplaying. I'd been wary of BJDs for a while, but thought that I'd make one into Tsuzuki if I ever got one. And now I'm going through with it :)

(I just never thought I'd get hooked on the rush and want dolls of other characters, too xD; )

7. Think "character dolls" are great. It's just one of the many ways for people to show their creativity. Being an RPer and what not I absolutely love reading people's character profiles for their dolls and what not. My own has a personality of his own but at the same time a bit of me is in him.
      When I look at original characters that people have created, it's more or less some thing that we would like to have. The reason why the character is that way is because it's something that would like to be or experience in my opinion. That may not always be the case but I think for the most part that's usually it.

8. I'm writing a story about dolls, and the characters in the story are all based on my dolls lol

9. At the moment non of my dolls are based on any character, but that will change as I'm saving up for two to be my original characters from a few years ago.

10. This topic does seem to crop up every so often. You might find this [thread=78859]thread[/thread] an interesting read, maybe [thread=174847]this[/thread] one too.

I'm not generally against tribute/fan dolls of liscensed characters as long as the owner of the doll doesn't plan to profit from it. Not all creators of those original characters (Anne Rice or JK Rowling for example) would be happy to see them being made. I doubt very many people try to get permission before making dolly versions but there is enough of a seperation between the creator and the fan for there to be some anonymity. What a person doesn't know can't hurt them or something like that. :sweat

If somebody I knew and RPed with decided to make a doll out of one of my characters I'd expect them to get my opinion about it first. If they decided to go through with the project even though I was completely against it I'd know at that point they were more interested in their fantasy world and dolls than our real life friendship. It would be very informative.

11. Any doll I get has to have a character of his own and I usually figure out which character that is before I've even bought the doll. Although my DoC did go through a character change one month after I got him, but that was because I decided I wanted a bigger doll for the character my DoC originally portrayed.

Anyway, Sieg is based off the Soul Calibur character Siegfried, but I'd say only in appearance and with parts of his background history added in. I won't say my Homme Kirill is an exact duplicate of Siegfried from Soul Cal since I'm not striving to make my doll exactly the same as the character from the game. He has blond hair, green eyes, the same name... but that's about it. I guess you could say my DoC is my take on Siegfried Schtauffen (i.e. my version of him). I do feel a little guilty taking someone else's creation (in this case Namco's Soul Team's character) and dollifying it, but I'm not making any profit out of what I'm doing and most people I show Sieg to don't even realize he's based off Siegfried from Soul Cal unless I tell them. I guess I'm paranoid though because I always specifically say to people that my doll is loosely based on a character from a game in case someone mistakenly thinks I'm claiming Siegfried Schtauffen to be my own creation or something :sweat

Now, Dieter, on the other hand, is a different matter altogether.

Dieter is my own creation so I don't feel paranoid at all when people ask me who my DoI is going to be based on when he arrives :XD:

12. i'm going to base my first resin off of some of Johnny Depp's characters......mehehe, dork much? DX

13. Only one of my three girls has her a previously existing character, which is my Sist.

The other two dollies are just 'themselves'.

14. My character are made into dolls because they help me when I am feeling up to doing art or stories about them. (And comics too.) They are just visual aide that I absolutely love and adore. I have had Nanashi for over 4 years now, he's one of my newest characters, but he's my favorite. I have had others though that have gone on for at least eight or nine years. I don't think I'd have had an appeal for the dolls if it wasn’t for my love of my OCs.

15. I do not have one yet... but it will represent a character that I created some time ago :D

I would love to buy a doll and let it evolve, but then I would not know if I would love it.... So I like it better to know exactly how it will be :<

16. I was originally going to let the dolls have their own personality once they arrived, but I keep finding myself attracted to ones that remind me of existing original characters I own. I see a sculpt and think "Ahh, this would be perfect as him.." so I'll probably go down that route when I buy them.

17. There are some character parts that all melted into my dolls but they're not based completly on an existing one. ^^
      Some problems I would have with such a decision is that I would have to know every reaction he7she would make in certain moments. To imagine it would be hard because I want it to be this character and not to invent everything in my own way so it's kind of difficult for me. ^^

Laoky

18. My Zero is based off of....well Zero... lol from Vampire Knight....
      Nabiki - my own character :)

19. I never intended to do so, but my doll looks a bit like Shizuma-Sama from Strawberry Panic! ( Anime series)
      With her wig and her outfit ! O_o

Her Character IS based a little bit on that of Suigintou's. Only My Emily has a softer side too! ^__^

20. When I eventually get an MD Miho, he's going to be based off a RP character I created. One of my favorite originals :)

As for my Bory...he's not based off anything xD;; I may actually end up developing another character because of him. :lol: