1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll based off an existing chara?

Mar 27, 2006

?
  1. Yes - he/she is based on a character from a movie, book, anime, etc.

2. Yes - he/she is based off of an existing RP/story character

3. No - he/she has their own personality, looks, etc.

4. Both - I have some dolls based on existing characters and some not.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I have both. Two of my dolls are based of original characters created by either me or my fiance. The remaining four were all brought as 'just doll's. Empty shells so to speak, that later 'developed' their own sense of style and being after time according to what I felt the doll was to me.

2. I was taking a random browse around Luts without intending to buy anthing, when I took one look at a doll and said "zomg that could be Phin!"

I bought him on the spot as a representation of a novel character of mine who's been in my head for two years. I've had characters in my head for much longer, 10 years or more and commissioned various artworks of them, but this is the first time a doll as called to me. I can't wait to get him in and have that perfect physical representation of my beloved Phineas to look at whenever I need a little inspiration for hard-to-write scenes.

Once I get him in (should be early November) I will try to post both pics of the lovely doll and snippets/links to some writing about him.

3. Oh yes, all of my dolls, with the exception of my Puki (which I'm selling), are based off of characters of mine. Melchior and Imbrium, who are mini-sized, are both from the same storyline. Alicestor, who I'm getting next, and Lilith, who I'm getting after, are from a totally different storyline. They're also a different size: SD.

Melchior still needs a different body mold, but I figure it'll have to wait until I've gotten at least my other two. MNF Carl is just screaming 'Melchior', and Shushu did the same for Imbrium.

Lilith, who is a friend's character (she agreed to let me dollify him, so long as I get him as close as possible, and give her credit- even though dolls freak her out XD ), was also easy to figure out. He is going to be a modified Sleeping Lishe boy- his eyes are going to be opened, his cheeks sanded a bit, he's going to be plopped on a Delf boy body... and it's all going to be tossed into a pot with tan dye. :sweat That'll be nerve wracking. Plus he has tattoos and piercings I have to do.

Alicestor on the other hand.... Phew! He's given me so much grief with figuring out a head and body mold. I think I went through 8 headmolds before I settled on a modified sleeping Chiwoo. Eyes opened, cheeks sanded, and the tip of his nose sanded down ever so slightly. His body will be a FTM Dollmore Eve body, since the character is short, hippy, and has legs to die for. Of course... the resin colours don't match. :doh So I'll have to blush his head to match the body. Then there are his tattoos as well.....

I also have seen dolls scream certain characters, but that will never be put into doll form. Luts Harang screams Aubrey, it's the shape of the eyes, and the playful look. Dollmore Manuier screams Christian, down to the shape of the eyes, round face, the freckles, the faceup, and the slightly 'holier then thou' look (the one modeling the Dangara 7T white shirt is scarily perfect. Stick the head on a boy's body, keep the shorts, and make the wig red, and style it ever so slightly differently, and BAM, you've got the perfect Christian). Dollzone Floy Fullset also screams Nightingale- just give him some Souldoll p52s, and he's perfect.

I can't see getting a doll that doesn't have a character already planned out, there'd be no point for me. :)

4. Saif is based on a character who will appear in my webcomic Daring the Wind.

Muniya is less directly based on a character from Daring the Wind also. Muniya is based on Mun's looks in Daring the Wind, but their personalities are different.

5. I wasn't planning on basing my little Saya on any character at all, until I realized that the color eyes to best match her skin tone was green. My original character has green eyes and similar ears as Saya, but I wouldn't want Saya to have to live like that particular character, though >:

6. right now, my doll has his own name and personality, but i'm going to change him completely and make him into a previous character i created for a story.

7. Both my dolls are based off the characters from, "The Case Files of Young Kindaichi", which was originally a manga series and later an anime and several Jdramas.

8. I had a doll that I meant to based on a Moonphase character, but after I got her I realized it wasn't her personality to be that character.

9. I have two characters based on The Sandman, with more on the way eventually, and three who are based on Changeling characters of my own from a campaign I used to run, and three who are just themselves, my BJDs. They're the mortals who get to hang out with Dream, Destruction and the Changelings. ;)

Oh, I also have a Lati White who was supposed to be one of my Changelings, but has since become a denizen of Dream's dreaming. (Her Changeling self was replaced by a Bambicrony). But she isn't one that ever showed up in the graphic novels, she's my own invention.

10. Bryer was semi-characterish, of mine.
      But I dunno. I keep contemplating on selling him.

Keefe is the only one I've ever used to write something with, he's my Miho/Ryu [can't decide.] he's far from complete.
      He has a best friend named Jamison. Who will be the other depending on what Keefe is.

And Reznor [so far m favorite doll] is existing.
      I'm thinking of ridding the idea of him having a boyfriend [Dakota] and just buying a girl to be his girlfriend. xD

11. My AS Gavin Malphas is based off a RP character I play - he's my all-time favourite character to play (with the exception of an anthro/shape-shifter character who would be impossible to have a doll of :XD: but who I love almost as much <3) but being a tanned (Arab) vampire he was gonna be hard to come by x____x

Luckily for me, AS brought out the Gavin! :love: Whee! ^_^

But for most of my dolls, I let them tell me their characters - and their characters develop as I interact with them either just alone or through photostories/whatnot. I like to have a name picked out and a vague idea of how I want them to be based on their looks, and then let them have free reign ^___^ It's nice to have them develop like story/RP characters would <3

12. My Bellatrix (HBC head + Feeple body) is obviously based off her character from Harry Potter.

Elisa (Lishe) is based on a character I made up as a child.

Rhiannon (Tatianna Pierrot) I'm not so sure about. I'm sort of coming up with a character for her.

Tilda (Sprite BBB) is a charcter I sort of came up with to suit the doll.

I think that owners that buy a doll with no particular character laid out already will find that once they choose a name for their doll it will sort of start to form it's own character. That's what is happening with my Sprite and Tatianna Pierrot. Does that make any sense?

13. The majority of my kids 'grew' into their characters - I didn't have a designated character for them to fulfill. Aza takes a lot of his character traits from an already established character. & Grendel probably comes the closest to being a 'character' doll - he's heavily influenced by the original Grendel in the epic of Beowulf. However, I have altered him quite a bit as my Grendel isn't the man-eating type, :lol:

14. four out of my five were pre-existing characters, Wyn was not...

Alex (DM Kara Klum): lead character in my comic/graphic novel in progress and the whole reason i got into dolls in the first place.

Lucifer (B&G Lucifer)
      : Character in the same comic/graphic novel who i changed slightly cause i wanted a B&G doll.

Kimiko (DZ Shoyo): Character in....yeah you get it now.

David Riley (MD Ryu): see above

Wyn (B&G Sapphira): i bought the doll cause i wanted it, the character developed as i had him. he had no clothes, no eyes and no name when he came to me, now he's completely different from my other kids. he's special :aheartbea

15. I'm trying to figure out how to turn my Elfdoll Sooah(arriving soon);) into "Kosmos" from the video game "Xenosaga" Kosmos is a cyborg styled lethal wepon, that resembles a gorgous woman with a human side. I don't know..........Where there is a will there is a way. :D

16. So far all of my dolls (including my non-BJD's) are their own characters. I would dearly love to get the 3 DOI boys (version2) and a DOT and make them up into the guys from Saiyuki. They are sooooo hot!!!! :fangirl:

17. Mine are all original characters that I made up for them. They are not based on anything.

18. I started off buying my first BJD because he looked like one my main characters (or actually my 10 year old Muse) but eventually I might loosen up.

19. Bella (Catsy) and Sophie (Cherry) had their characters made up around the dolls - but they have since become characters in my original stories.

My Zuzu Delf was a fullset (and a gift given to me), so he will stay as the character Luts picked out for him. ^^;

20. Well, Kirstin's a mix.
      Her character was based off another RP character that I'd scrapped. You see, I always seem to make fiery characters - if I ever want to improve my writing skills, I need to get used a quiet character's voice, too. So I started with Christine Madeline, but she was too plain. Not just quiet, but downright bland.

So Kirstin started forming in my head, right around the time I got into BJDs. She didn't have her name until I'd decided to make her into a doll though. Her personality is more 3D than Christine's was, and she just demanded that I give her a body.