1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Your Doll Better Dressed Than You?

Feb 19, 2017

1. Yeeep. Doll clothes are so expensive....

2. 100% yes. I put more effort into making sure my girls look nice than I do myself. They wear the clothes I’ve always wanted to wear.

3. Um, SO much better-dressed. Haha. Especially in concept, although not all of them are fully outfitted yet. I learned very early in life that I was never going to the the kind of beautiful I wished I could, so I kinda leaned the other way (tomboyish, don't care about makeup or clothes or hair) and I'm happy in jeans or leggings 7 days a week. But there's still that part of me that loves all things delicate and ethereal, and I love that I can express that through dolls. Not all my dolls are the beautiful kind, but they all definitely have a "look" that's been carefully curated... Whereas the extent of thought I put into my wardrobe in an average day is "Is this clean enough?" Hahaha

4. Yeah- I don't put much effort into what I wear most of the time- but while I haven't gotten too crazy on their clothes yet, there are some really nice outfits I'm hoping to get for them. I'm either going to have to up my sewing skills or drop some good money on them. Probably a bit of both. But you usually can't find me in anything better than a t-shirt and cargo shorts.

5. No, actually, But that is more due to lack of clothes than anything else. Hopefully with time they will be. :mwahaha

6. Nope! I have started taking my style more seriously, and especially since getting her have been thinking more about style and outfits. Sometimes we even match a little, by vague accident.

7. Overall I would say yes, but the bar is very low.
      We have somewhat similar styles (jeans, jean jacket, plaid shirts), but I have recently decided I don't want to buy shirts with prints anymore, only plain or striped, so my dolls definitely have that over me xD

8. Yes and no.

Yes because my doll has no trouble wearing the layered look that I love but cannot do so since I live in a tropical country. (I live vicariously through him dressed up in blazers, scarves and sweaters.) And he can get away with wearing cute sailor suits and antiquated attire.

No because it's difficult to find the minimalist but interesting basics that make up his closet in doll clothing other than generic tees and turtleneck sweaters. I would love to see different materials and alternative stylish takes on basics that I see in my favourite brands such as COS, Uniqlo and Marks and Spencer, subtle variations that make pieces of clothing unique and yet harmonious with the rest of one's wardrobe. Until that happens (I'm currently looking to sew pieces like these for him), where his casual wear is concerned, I surprisingly have the upper hand.

9. oh my goodness yes, when I was around 18 to 25 I wore judphurs all the time as I was a riding instructor and wore Victoria gothic when I went out. Now I'm older I tend to live in trousers and tops and hardly ever ware a dress but strangely I love finding pretty outfit for my dolls. mind due to my health I don't go out much so don't have any reason to glam up

10. Yes and no.
      I have more trouble buying expensive clothes and shoes for myself than I do for my dolls, but on the other hand, some of my dolls are naked. :whee:

11. Not a chance. lol. I have a slightly unhealthy obsession with designer clothes (and shoes) and have been fortunate enough to live in large cities where I've been able to find some killer deals (D&G silk lace pencil skirt for $80?! at Nordstrom??) so I have built up a nice wardrobe over the years. I've also made a few pieces of my own. My doll has a lot of catching up to do.

12. Most definitely. ^_^ One of the big reasons I love dolls is that they can get away with wearing things in public I would never be able to. And don't get me started on the shoes. I wear $10 Walmart sneakers so my dolls can wear their expensive shoes! One of these days, they will have a bigger closet than mine. And who of us can dare run around with a nice pair of antlers? Though I do wear my cat ears head band occasionally.

13. Not yet, but on the way. =)

14. Haha! Yes! I do find it strange that I’ll buy expensive clothes for my dolls and then set limits on clothes for myself. I think I justify this by knowing that if needed, doll clothes can have a good resell value. However, I tend to hoard my precious dolly items, so really, that justification doesn’t work :XD:

15. absolutely! Chi (my pfp) is dressed how i wish i could haha!

16. Lol, always always my dolls have better stuff! I am very frugal in finding things for me but I love to spoil my dolls. I still try to do it on a budget but I will go "overboard" for them before myself. Plus, they don't wear things out so I will have it so much longer than my own things will last.

17. For sure, I love making period and fantasy clothing. So they have clothing I would not have places to wear. The perk being it takes less fabric and trim to sew for them.

18. It was always easier somehow to spend on doll rather than on self. :) But same time, I dress my dolls into something I normally would not wear.

19. No doubt, yes. The clothes I wear usually don't exceed $40. But I will buy $200 of clothes for my dolls. My friends think I'm crazy. They said that I could use that money to buy more beautiful clothes and cosmetics for myself. I only answered them: I spent so much money and time dressing up myself, mostly to satisfy the visual enjoyment of others. I can see my beauty for no more than 10 minutes, including when I look in the mirror. I dressed the dolls, and I satisfied my own visual enjoyment.

20. By every conceivable metric, in fashion, style, and quality, is my doll better dressed than me.