1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll part of an elaborate "world"?

May 30, 2009

1. Only some of mine are. They're based off a story line I made years ago, but the rest aren't really apart of it.

2. yes my friend akasora and I have a huge story going and we have incorporated our 4 current dolls, 3 incoming, and all future planned into this. each doll has their own backstory and part that they play, and each new doll we plan we either already have a character for them to take or make one so that they fit into the world. Its lots of fun with demons and curses and such.. we even made our two heliots twin brothers :D and we each get one so we can also elaborate on our own their own stories.

3. Sanyu and Gael (when I get her) are both a part of an elaborate world, I suppose. It's actually an alternate version of the BLEACH universe. So a lot of the elaborate part comes from all the little intricacies of the actual BLEACH world... and then I added on a couple more things on top of it all.

4. I dunno about Elaborate, but yes, all dolls I plan to ever own are based off of my original characters, most of which are in the same story. Two are independent of the others and each other.

5. My elaborate world is part of my dolls...? ;)

6. Oh yes, definitely. What got me into BJDs was not only their beauty, but how people used them to represent their imagination and the wonderful stories it came up with. The idea definitely lured me in, and the first night I decided to get my Homme Ivan, my cousin and I stayed up for hours planning out a storyline. Of course, three months later, things are still being changed around and new characters are being added. Originally, we had only two characters, but now we have SIX. It'll be hard to get them all in doll form since we're currently only getting one (hopefully tomorrow or the next day) at the moment, but we're determined to get our dolls someday and won't give up!

7. Well, my boyfriend and I just stayed up until midnight working out the names for various regions in the world that my dolls' storyline is set in so... yes, I guess you could say that :sweat

Although my dolls are actually a very small part of my elaborate world. I've spent more time working out the etymology of various things (character names, city names, country names, etc) than on characters so far *_*

I only have two main doll characters (Soom MDs Cuprit and Chrom), but also three minor characters (Pipos Cheshire, Dali and Bao). They all come from the same world, but the Pipos dolls are 'demons', while the Soom dolls are 'normal' humans.

8. I'm an old-school, table-top RPG player and GM, so "world-building" around my doll's character concepts was a habit that I couldn't have avoided, even if I'd wanted to. Heck, a fair few of these guys are avatars for individuals who STARTED OUT as gaming characters. (My Exalts, for instance. The Exalted game setting is as complicated a world as any I've ever seen. It's boggling.)

Even worse... It's not just *one* world over here. It's several.

The gaming-characters-turned-dolls have their various RPG settings, obviously. The three parts of the Turtle House cast have one their own, as well. (Which, though completely independant and self-contained now, used to intersect in places with Nezumitoo's Angel Hunt and Syrinxfox's Streifen for even more added complexity and chaos-)

Blackbird and the First House chimera also have a pretty developed world of their own, unrelated to any of the others. Long before I had dolls, it was going to be a custom-made RPG setting, so I think that one is probably the environment I've spent the most time tinkering with... Turtle House started out using bits and pieces from Exalted, Weapons of the Gods and Qin: Warring States as a framework... but First House was built completely from the ground up.

The problem is, it seems like talking about your setting is even more boring to other people than talking about your characters (And let's be realistic here... no one is really all that interested in endless ramblings about someone else's OC-), so a lot of the work that's gone into my "homebrewed" worlds will never be mentioned. I'm the only one who cares that the First House world is sliding into an ice age, or what Turtle House actually *looks* like, or any of those other picky little details that come along with world-building... and I'm quite keenly aware of that fact. :lol:

9. Yes, I have a little universe my dolls live in & it's fairly elaborate. The original idea for it came from a line in the Deryni books but actually has nothing to do their setting at all.

10. My dolls definitely have their own world, which is mostly like this world. All of my current and planned dolls have their own backstories and personalities, and once I have a good majority of the planned dolls, I'll start doing their photostories. :3 And a bunch of my best friend's future dolls will be involved, as well.

11. Oh definitely! The doll that I'm getting is already a fully fledged character, he (and his universe) has existed in my mind for years already, so I'm looking forward to meeting him "in the flesh" eventually! But then he'll be embodied in my world, so to speak... so I'm not sure whether he'll be interacting with my world, or still living in his. I guess I'll have to meet him and find out what he wants to do, ne?

And even if not, I've been world-building for many years, and I don't think I could ever own a doll without eventually coming up with a world for them!

12. I am currently in the process of developing the world my dolls are in lol I hope to get some of that down on paper soon XD

13. i guess sorta, it's soposed to be more like our world now, present day earth, blah blah blah, just with monsters, mutants, vampires and such also.

also my dolls interact with my freinds dolls often. several dating and such. however, we made them up after we got the dolls, not before hand.

14. Is your doll part of an elaborate "world"?..........

It's taken me three years and I've gone full circle with my dolls!....I can't call it an elaborate world that they are part of...far from it...set in the early 1800's through to the late 1800's....but not the high society people of this era, I am drawn to the poor hardworking everyday folk of these times......so a very plain and simple world it is for my dolls.....;)

xen :)

15. god yes. but its a "world" ive been writing and drawing and creating for almost 10 years now. the dolls ive only had for a year and were almost all bought for characters in it and just cause i wanted them "real." i have mostly vampires and angels, a few demons and thanks to my Sapphira who remains the only doll i bought cause i loves him as a doll not as one of my characters, i now have elves worked in as well. im good at making up new characters that fit easily into the story XD

16. Not really. My dolls will have personalities and represent different concepts but they are really just exciting fashion models in my eyes. But I will come up with a story for them since I love the creativity and such.

17. All of mine are part of a fantasy world I have been writing for many years. They are embodiments of my most beloved characters from this world...except for a few lovely sculpts who said "buy me now and make me a character later." They have added an unexpected richness to my already-existing universe as I've come up with backstories for them to integrate them with my more established characters.

18. I initially tried buying dolls to embody my OCs (who definitely have their own elaborate world), but it didn't work out ^^; It was weird to have a doll of someone who wasn't the doll, but existed in your head X_x; (that doesn't sound crazy). So I tried just having dolls who didn't have intertwined stories and didn't have their own world unique from that of my pre-existing OCs. ...that didn't work either. 8D; Now my dolls are involved in this world where science and magic are blended into a far from harmonious mess. Hurrah. Unfortunately, that means my brain keeps spitting out more and more characters for this "Doll OC World".

Tha_Queen_of_Chaos: That sounds really cool o_o I've never heard of that before. Do you have a writing LJ where I could possibly read your stuff? :D (I'll probably end up PMing you; I am intrigued!)

19. All of mine are apart of their own elaborate worlds. Originally I was only going to keep to my Angel Hunt cast [which originally was meant to be a simple extension of an even older story I had going at one point in time. This did not work out and AH became a beast all on its own] The story I wrote for them is massive and detailed [well, detailed and massive as far as I'm concerned. I've seen other people's stories blow mine completely out of the water so I suppose my opinion on my own story's elaborateness is... well my own -heh]

Somewhere along the lines my original cast got involved with other people's original casts [Brightfires' Turtle House was the first to mesh, Syrinxfox and Evphaedrielle's Streifen was the next] and their elaborate stories commingled with mine. After that, a few other dolls have come into the mix, some of them gaining "Future Effect" backgrounds connected to Angel Hunt and others ending up in worlds completely separate from it yet no less involved.

I've tried to have a doll just to have a doll [George] and ended up writing her a very involved backstory as well :sweat I've come to the conclusion that without a past or character attached, or events surrounding my crew's "why" I can't have them. There's too much customizing done and too many possibilities for them because of that customizing for me to leave them as just dolls [I've never really been into "just dolls" anyway so that would probably be part of the reason why]. Even when I'm not intending it, mine always end up as some resin avatar for some giant background and history I write for them.

20. Several different, equally elaborate, worlds are slowly gelling around the characters of my dolls. It's a natural function of the story-telling part of my consciousness, steeped as it is in fantasy and alternate reality fiction.