1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll's character a doll or a person?

Sep 7, 2007

1. What an interesting question! I never stopped to think about it, but I suppose my boys are sort of a hybrid of both. Most of them have people-characters, whether I pre-wrote them or not. They have stories, secrets, beliefs, the whole lot. But sometimes for no reason, their dialogue will veer off into doll-character things like "I think being stuck in that box for 2 years did something to your mind, man"... or "You Isaos are so weird"... or "Quit licking my sealant!"... or " I would GET off your lap if she'd fix my goddamn stringing so I can stand up"... or "I am gonna hit you so hard your eyeputty will feel it".

One one hand, they're whole selfcontained little characters, and sometimes I swear they party without me while I'm at work... but on the other hand, they're dolls, and they live in MY world. I also don't have a lot of props or furniture or scale-model extras for them; so they live in my too-big world, and they're OK with it because they know where they came from. :)

2. Mine are based off of characters. They have my version of those characters personalities and backgrounds. They live in their own little world, but they do know they are dolls. Which can be amusing. They fight and pout over who is going on what trips, etc... But in the end know they have no say in the matter.

-Anneke

3. Same here. My dolls characters know they are dolls too. Otherwise they'd wonder why I cant change my head or restring myself. :lol: They ''know'' there is a difference between a doll and a human. They do ''live a normal life'' though, among humans.
      They all have their own characters, backstories, personalities etc.

4. I'll have to jump on the bandwagon with this one. Though I don't have my first doll yet, I know already they will have their own little profiles, with detailed backgrounds and the like. But at the same time, they'll know that they're dolls, and will live in my world. It just makes it so much more amusing for us I think, lol, with all the 'dolly hijinks' that can happen XP

Of course if in any stories/photostories that seriously have to do with their character selves, they won't acknowledge that they're dolls, and will more or less be like 'people' I suppose.
      Sort of like acting? XD

5. I really enjoy reading your replies. I thought my dolls would live in their own world where I don't; like a story. After reading about how much fun some of you have with your dolls being ...well, dolls I don't know. Of couse some of you think of your dolls the way I originaly thought I would and enjoy them. I'll find out when I have one(maybe a few)how I'll think of my dolls' characters I guess. It's just fun to think about, isn't it?!

6. People, that's what they are, but sometimes we switch to 'doll' mode for a few laughs ^^

Sera~

7. I'm in the 'both' crowd.

My dolls evolve backstories and relationships, and millions of relatives, friends, sweethearts, etc. that I ought to buy. *_*
      And just like that, they're dolls, 'cause I haven't any characters that are slaves in-story.

And in their doll-life, they want to have proper clothing, and the right eyes and wig and props. already says a resin chorus. ;)
      Their in-story life comes complete with clothing, just say 'X put on her red velvet gown,' and *poof* her story self is clad appropriately. :o
      [X--I don't own a red velvet gown; neither do I want to. Get this thing off me!:evil:] ;)

Besides, you can own your dolls however you like, from admiring their beautiful outfits as they stand or sit in your house, to carrying them everywhere and forcing your friends to include them in conversation. ;)

Ann in CT

8. Mine are a little bit of both. They know they're dolls, but they still have their own personalities and backstories(hope this makes sense). :3nodding:

Depending on what they look like (in the clothing category, face-up, or surrounding area) their stories just happen. When I talk to them, i consider them to be doll, just with their own sort of "life" in them. (don't worry, they don't speak back):lol:

9. Mine are also based on characters that were developed long before I got the dolls. They are aware that they are dolls, and they get really irritated when they're moved from their favorite chair. ^^;

10. That's really interesting, I hadn't thought about that. Now I'm not sure. I didn't think Nico would be, but now I'm reconsidering. Maybe he does know that he's a doll!

11. When they are doing stories they are “people”.

When they are not in story mode I can perceive them as dolls and do the weird “Pinocchio” thing. And make them take off their heads, or their eyes and such without having them to 'die’! (or something like that!) :ablah:

12. My doll's have characters - likes, dislikes, things like that - but they are definitely dolls. They know they're dolls, it's just that they're dolls with personalities. I'd say they have... "lives", but they really are just resin.

13. My dolls are both, when they are sitting in my room with me they are dolls, when I write stories for them they are people.

14. I know some who say their dolls are from another plane of existance....
      I say that Dolls are a whole other race that humans have the privalege to take care of.
      I didn't buy my doll, I adopted him :)

15. None of the above, I guess. They're just my own characters I devised for an ongoing story that I'm never going to *write.* They're important to me, and I think/dream up all kinds of stories for them, but everything has just stayed in thought form, I've never really put them into a writing form. And I don't plan on it. They've grown as I have over the years- I think I first invented Lucas about 5 years ago. That's just a little too much matter for me to write down. :XD:

16. I'm their nanny..sort of :sweat
      Darien (my kirill) looks at me as a friend and Adele (petsha) sees me as a sort of mom. I take care of them and provide them with shelter and help them adjust to being so small :lol:

In they background stories I wrote for them I said that they were souls of once living people trapped inside doll bodies, and I'm the caretaker. Yeah..it's a weird relationship

17. Emily, my coming doll, is a physical manifestation of my comic character. Its a way for me to develop her character more, so I am really looking forward to it. I love personal development. To me she is a person, like a imaginary friend who has played with me since childhood. So of course she is a person, like my daughter in flesh and blood. :) :aheartbea

... Well, in resin.:lol:

18. My dolls do not have individual stories. Their personalities change with their different outfits. But, I don't know what happens when the lights go out!

19. This is very interesting, I like this ^_^

All except for Lae'elden are characters from a story I've been working on, though I've transposed it for the sake of including everyone and being able to share the jist of the story with everyone until I start drawing it. For now the transposed story takes place in my home and the environment is limited to what's around here, their stories are played out as if the characters were living here. For these instances I label them as a chapter. On the other hand they're subject to things like Box Openings, interacting with things in the house and other events that have little to nothing to do with storyline. These are usually labeled with something silly XD
      Also, no matter if it's 'on camera' or 'off camera', Toby, Lae'el (Except for one instance) and Itzal are aware of themselves as and are presented as 'people', while Erebos and Jabou' really are dolls; Ere being the jointed that he is and Jabou' a ragdoll of Toby's.

20. My (future) dolls are going to fully aware of what they are, and that I call the shots in the house (much to their annoyance, I expect :sweat).
      So, in a sense, they don't have a background history or anything. Just personalities.
      For them, life truly starts the moment they land at my front door. Hehe.