1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your doll's character a doll or a person?

Sep 7, 2007

1. Not all, but a lot of my dolls are actually physical manifestations of characters i've had (in drawn form) for years and years. They are characters i've developed, known and loved, for so long that to have them in doll form is to just finally have a version of them that I can touch and feel.

In my characterization of them... i've made it that they are from a different plane of existence (the internet), and have come to this world in doll form to live with me (the person who makes their websites and does all their internet grunt work) for a while. They aren't "human" and they know it... but they are "alive" in their own way.

2. The dolls I'm planning to get are just characters I've made up, have loved and kept in my head for years. It's just that I'm finally getting a resin body for them to act out scenes that play in my head X3

3. My dolls are really my characters in a 'physical' form basically I've had their backstories and history for ages but before dolls they only lived in drawings. so I think that my dolls have just made my characters more real to me

4. Well, here's a funny thing about mine... He's based on a roleplay character of mine.. But he kind of does and kind of doesn't have his personality. He has a sort of life and attitude of his own. I have no backstory for him so he's not quite my character, Laban.
      THey really do seem to gain a soul of their own, don't they? It's no wonder the Japanese have legend of living dolls. Before I got mine, I loved them dearly, but I couldn't understand how people could treat them as if they're living people, lol But now I find myself doing little things like kissing his hand or his nose before I turn out the light and leave the room headed for bed, or just saying good morning to him. He's got a presence and even if he doesn't move or talk like the legends, it feels like he's got a soul, regardless.
      So, he's got likes and dislikes, but no background story.
      My other one though... He feels near empty. But then maybe because he wasn't so personal. He's just a tender Yen from D.O.D. He's beautiful and I still love him, but he feels either VERY quiet, or not really there at all.

5. My doll (when she arrives) is going to be a representation of a character in a story I'm working on. Thus she's got her own background, a house, a circle of friends and a long history. The doll is just her on the other side of the fourth wall, given physical form. Thus, she knows she's a doll, she's unglued in time (Knows everything that's happened to her and everything that *will* happen to her) with regard to the book universe, but will also know that she's a doll and is being written about. If that makes any sense.

6. I aknowledge he's a doll and he aknowledges he's a doll, but we both ignore that little fact. :lol:
      Ivo isn't a character, that's for sure. He started developing his own personality only after he got here and he's still evolving, so I treat him as the person I see him as. He doesn't really treat me in any way, since he still is a doll. So I.. uh.. I guess I use him for some sort of escapism? :roll: In general, he's just that young lad living off my money.

7. well its hard to say...theyre not people or dolls to me. theyre from their own world. i suppose theyre closer to being people in the fact they are not inanimate 'dolls'

8. They are dolls, even on the conceptual level ^^ . But their backstories aren't 'just dolls'! They had tons of reincarnations as a bunch of other things, including humans and spirits and animals and what-have-you, before being reborn in this life in their current doll form!

Heheh, so this set-up is sort of like the best of both worlds I guess. Dawn will complain about the materials I use on her faceup, have personal preferences for doll sculpts or companies, and she knows I'm her 'human owner (:cough:wallet/caretaker/servant:cough:)' that cares for her =P . But she "remember something of my past lives, you know! I know a thing or two about being human!"

<3 ali

9. i have a doll which is a character i made up.
      then I'm waiting for my other doll that is based on my nr. 1 idol; the korean singer Ajoo.
      Though it isn't a minimee. XD

10. My characters have ALWAYS been people, however, Freya was left unnamed and in the "Scraps" portion of my mind, where the only thing I had of her was her appearance and that she had an unsuspecting, complicated life. It was then that she was resinated that her image slowly became clearer to me, as well as her character, and the other scraps also came falling into place. It was also the time that she turned into a doll that I finally gave her a name and wrote her a profile.:)

11. When I do get one (Or the eventual three I want >.>) my dolls will know they are dolls. However, they will be...how do I put this...LARPers? They role play, do a lot of 'play pretend' with inticate storylines. They will take on new characters for assorted plots but when they're not in this stories or plots, they're themselves knowing they are dolls. When they are 'in character' then they do not know they are dolls.

Basically, they will be characters that take on other characters? I think...I don't know but it's gonna be hella fun.

12. My dolls are based on characters from my own stories, so in that sense, that would make them people... with the exception of my puki Ruby who is modelled after a golem (so he's technically not a person).

I don't think I could ever have a doll who is just a doll - as in, their character and role is that of a doll and not human, unless their background story involves the doll coming alive somehow but still retaining the doll body, which makes me think of pinochio now x___x

13. My doll Aiko has a doll character which is from my Anime-plans "tomodachi". She has black hair, loves cherrytrees and she is cute and nice. And her bestfriend is Yuki in the anime which has white hair and is very shy, wich also is Aiko´s bestfriend in the anime and in real life, My friend owns Yuki.

Yuki
      [​IMG]

Aiko with a brown wig, she acually have a black one..
      [​IMG]

14. My doll's backstory is that he was a baron's son who was betrayed and -insert long story here- basically was turned into a doll by a witch XD
      I know it sounds crazy but it's a fun story ;) So yes, he knows he's a doll :)

15. My dolls are based on characters from my stories (except one lot who are not my characters), who do not acknowledge themselves as dolls.

I do have them though in a 'little people in a big world' sort of way though, with dolls such as Lamnda in photostories and the like calling me an 'oversize hu-thing' and blaming his size problems on a spell gone wrong...but another lot (all from one story) blame their diminished size on a fault in their holographic projectors (as all of them in doll form are holograms of themselves).

16. Like a few people have mentioned, my dolls are the physical, 3D representations of my characters from the various stories on which I've been working/drawing for years. However, there's a clear distinction between the doll and the character, just as there is a distinction between the character and the drawing of said character; the character exists in my head, with a personality, likes/dislikes, family, friends, morals, etc. while the drawings and the dolls are small glimpses into the character.

And no, I guess they're not "aware" they're dolls. Similarly, they aren't my friends (I've got real ones for that... There's a limit to how fun staging a conversation with essentially yourself can get), they exists within world's a lot more exciting than my own - though most of my characters' personalities are based on friends or on people I admire. I do occasionally have them interacting with myself for humorous purposes and out-of-character/story jokes, but in "canon" I do not exist.

17. Their characters are all people, not dolls. They have their own worlds they live in, though at the same time they are in doll bodies in my apartment--I don't worry about that contradiction, lol.

18. That DOES sound hella' fun XD ! That's an awesome concept, way cool!

<3 ali

19. They are people. They have personalities and are part of a family and have friends and attitudes hehe.
      and I loves them!

20. The characters are people. :) For lolz I make them interact as if they were dolls, but that is when I take them somewhere and just joke around and stuff.