1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is your limited doll numbered? And do you care?

Nov 3, 2007

1. Having some OT numbered dolls at first it was cool that they all had 66 as part of their numbers and I was doing their numerology then it just didn't matter. I can see numbering them on the inside of the head or something in the way fine china is numbered so you can keep track of which mold and factory artist you used ect. If it's on the outside it could get rubbed off, like with one doll I have.

On the BJD side I own a pair of uber limited heads, they aren't numbered and it doesn't matter. You can tell by looking at them what company they come from and the people it really matters to can tell. The heads were prizes so those were free, I'm not the kind of person who will pay through the nose for one of three of something just to say I have it.

2. I have an Elf Chiwoo WS head on it's way to me.
      For what I know, the head doesn't have a number. I think it would be great if he had. :)
      But, in the end I don't really care. I just love him, limited or not XD

3. My NaNuRi '06 is 20-something out of 53, and I get some amusement out of it just because I know he's special right down to the core (not that being limited changed that). My Ricky Demian (also limited) head isn't numbered, which is sort of almost a disappointment for me. Then again, this may be another case of company dolls vs. artists' dolls.

In the practical sense, I think numbering would be good for book-keeping. Keep track of what was sold to whom, and things like that. That's what I'd do, but then I like to keep records of things. Who knows though, something like that may come in handy one day. ^^ I also agree with what previous people have said, it would help identify stolen dolls.

4. I have one of the Haute Doll Choas, LE of 17. I have her papers in her box, but she herself isn't numbered. I'm glad it she isn't numbered. I have some vinyl dolls that are LE and numbered and I don't like to see the writing on their butt. It is interesting that she is so limited, but I got her because I love her and even if she wasn't LE, I would still have wanted her.

It is interesting that since I got Sabine (Choa), I've found three of the 17 other owners through my travels. I think it would be interesting to find who the other owners are and what the story of each doll is.

5. Almost all my dolls are limited, and none of them were numbered, and I don't mind that at all. I don't really collect limiteds for the prestige or scarcity, I just buy sculpts I like and happen to like a lot of limited dolls :XD:

6. Number them as you go if you truly mean to make them limited. It does matter. The value of a limited doll where it really was limited is a lot higher than a so called limited doll that ended up with hundreds or even thousands of them out there. Me, if it really is limited, say under 150 dolls, then I'd like to have it carved into the doll and on the COA. One of my pet peeves is doll companies saying they're making a limited doll and then selling tons of them. Limited to me just isn't dolls that are out there in the hundreds or thousands.

This is one of the things about BJD's that always makes me mad. You have all these companies making variants on a theme that are basically the same doll sculpt with a bit different paint and different clothes calling those dolls "limited" when they are anything but. Make a small amount then retire the doll sculpt and never use it again. Then I will believe it's a real limited doll. But don't try to sell me the same doll down the road as a "basic" or as a different character just because you've changed the original face up.

Honestly I don't believe in limited dolls really. Sooner or later most dolls they come back, in some incarnation. Sculptors borrow from their past successful sculpts all the time. But if you are going to go there then go all the way. Set a number, make only that amount, mark them as such and stick to that resolution. I can respect that. :)

7. Short answer: no, and no!

Long answer: My kid delf Yul was my first limited, but I only wanted the head and not the centaur body. He's not numbered, but he is special, and I'm not really looking for resale value with him, since he is a character in my novel. My new limited, Leekeworld Rosemary, was a complete impulse buy, but her aesthetic is so particular that I don't think tons of her will be made anyway. It doesn't bother me one bit whether she's one of fifty or one of five hundred.

8. I actually accidentally ended up with a numbered junior delf when I got him on the MP. It was quite a surprise when I opened his headcap and saw that! Hes not valueable at all though, even though they stopped making them because his hands/forearms were quite yellowed by the time id gotten him...

9. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought most of the time the numbers inside doll headcaps are just numbers the company assigns to the sculpt, and therefore will be the same in every doll of the same sculpt, rather than having anything to do with how many were produced?

10. The only limited doll I own is my Soom Yrie, I was just thinking how I should paint her wings and put them on.
      I don't even know if she has a number (I don't think so) I just liked her little pouty face and got her :)

I just buy dolls because I like them, knowing one is a limited will only make me try to get it quicker if I want it as it may go out of stock and not be available anymore.

11. I don't believe any of my limiteds are numbered. Most of them were limited in regards of time period instead of quantity anyways, but it would not bother me either way. I don't need to know what number mine is or how many were produced, I buy them for my own enjoyment <3

12. No, none of my limiteds have numbers at all. At current, three are time-limited (one not arrived yet), two are quantity-limited (one not arrived yet). None of them are obviously limited in any way other than knowing that information about them, and honestly that's not why I bought them anyway. I just liked them. :)

13. No and no. My quantity-limited Switch head isn't numbered, and I don't care. I bought it because I saw (and still see) a character of mine in the sculpt.

14. The only number-limited doll home so far was a limited fullset, and has no number. I know he's one of !00, and that's special enough for me. I ordered one of the only number-limited dolls Soom has ever done that I'm aware of, and it's only the mold's skin color that's limited. No idea if she'll be numbered or not. That's another way you could do it. Each edition could be in a different color and numbered. So if you decided to make more you could switch colors.

15. I have one numbered doll I can think of, and that is my Akh Xiro.
      While I don't care much about these things it made me smile to see his number on the card: Special #1.
      He was assembled from left-over parts by the artist, there had been a set number of Xiros and mine wasn't one of them, so he got a different number :)

16. I have four limiteds (two time limited - Kdoll KK head, Crobidoll Choco, two fullset # limited - FL Dreamscape Mika, Alex Doll Hansel ver.), but neither of them have numbers (or if they do, I certainly couldn't find them on their papers). I kind of wish they did, just to see where my order fell in line with the others, but it's not a big deal to me haha. I can't say I didn't purchase them due to be limited since I technically did, but it was more due to the fact that I had no choice once I fell in love with them, since they weren't a general release I could just wait on.