1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Itty-bitty, or jumbo-wumbo?

Sep 18, 2020

1. I love the density and heft of my 60cm SDs. I love the portability of my YOSDs and tinies. I'm not sold on MSDs yet, of all things.

2. I own dolls from 10cm all the way up to 65cm. And I love them all. However, I don't think I'd be able to go any bigger than the one 65 that I already own. He's amazing and I love him, but he's heavy and hard to find just the right space for him to take pictures. Sewing is much easier for his size, but I don't mind hand sewing for my little itty bitties. Each size has their own pros and cons, but I love the versatility in my collection. Tiny and portable to large and detailed. That being said... if I could only be allowed one size range, it would probably be the 30cm-45cm. They're large enough that I don't have to hand sew, but still small enough to be portable. And I have a wide range of clothing styles for my msd group. Taking pictures with them isn't as hard as the bigger dolls, I even have furniture for them and they share the folding room box with the tinies.

Truth be told though, it's frustrating finding clothing for the different sizes. My 65cm boy is right in between the sd13 and uncle(70cm) sizes for pants, so any that I get for him have to be altered. The selection in styles isn't really that diverse for slim minis anymore, and regular msd sizes are scarce unless you want a classic little girl look or just leggings and a sweater. Tinies have an easier time, but for my realfee and my pear shaped body 30cm myou yosd, there's practically nothing. So I have to sew for them myself if I want to clothe them. Which I don't really mind, but sometimes I like to buy styles that I have a hard time with from other people. For my SD/Sd13 group, it's a toss up. I have more relaxed styles for them, but my boy is on the feminine and nerdy side. And there's not much of a selection there. Though it's easier to find pants for him than his 65cm bf. And don't even get me started on shoes. For any of the sizes.

As far as the sculpts go, I do prefer stylized ones to realistic, but I still love realistic sculpts. I just don't feel the need to own one.

3. For me its big and small - but no middle ground. My dolls' sizes can be measured in Soom dolls XD. The biggest is a mega gem (72cm), the tinies are teenie gems (27cm) and the tiniest are petit gems (13cm).

I started with SD size mostly because 10yrs ago mature minis werent a thing yet and I prefered the mature aesthetic. Later I branched out to tinies for the cuteness factor. I still cannot get into minis, though. Sometimes Im tempted when I see some artists dolls but then I see prices comparing or even higher then SD sized dolls and Im out again. For minis the price just doesnt fit into my idea of 'moneys worth'.

4. I prefer the fashion style BJDs, which is basically a mature looking MSD 1/4 type of doll - I always adored miniature things, but going any smaller would mean loosing details. This scale is perfect in between for me - I still get to handle tiny accessories and things like that, but the dolls are not so small you can't do a detailed face up or a sewing project for them :)

5. Have you tried setting it to Wumbo?? :XD::XD: lol Spoungebob reference.

I've tried many different sizes- pukipuki up to 70cm, and I landed at the "fashion scale " 1/4 dolls as my favorites. I can fit more of them into the display, and I feel like they are more affordable (I know there are affordable big dolls too, but I always seems to prefer the expensive full sets :|) I like the mini props are this scale a lot too.

6. I have BJD from Lusion (80cm) down to RealPuki (just under 9cm), but i have to say my favourite size is around SD size - Smll enough to handle easily, big enough that getting fabric, and accessories to look in-scale for them isn't difficult.

The only size that doesn't work for me is around 17 to 20cm... for some unfathomable reason, I just don't play with dolls that size - I dress them, pose them and leave them for months until I redress them. That's just a waste of resin, so those ones get sold on.

I'm the opposite and have trouble finding immature bodies in SD size (though plenty of face sculpts). Since it creeps me out seeing child faces on big-boobed/mature/developed bodies, many of my girls are on the same few immature bodies but, for variety, some are on bodies with the boobs modded off. Others are on boy bodies with the "boy bits" modded off (because even modding the boobs off female bodies leaves most of them too shapely/developed in the waist-to-hip ratio).

Teddy

7. I prefer mature sculpts, but... for me, there is absolutely such a thing as too big! I'm short, my back is prone to going out with little warning, and I don't have a whole lot of space for storage and display-- while there are some beautiful big dolls out there, they're a lot for me to keep and wrangle, and the bigger and heavier a doll is, the more I worry about whether I'll drop it (or fall myself) if my back spasms or my hip gives way while I'm carrying it. So my collection stays in the tiny-to-MSD range, and I just admire other people's big dolls.

8. I can't choose! I love all sizes. I love the mini ones (around 10cm) because I can carry them around more easely. I love the big 75cm ones because the clothes can look like a miniature version of my clothes and still be big enough for added realism such as real button holes and working pockets etc. 25cm - 45cm dolls are the most fun to hold and carry around outside their carrier bag!

I just love them all. And I handsew all my clothes so to be honest, for sewing I prefer the tinier the better (less time consuming). Everything above MSD size is really time consuming if you hand sew, but like I said, the realism you can add makes up for that.

If I had to pick a size, I just couldn't. I really can't. I have some of every size for a reason. They all come with their pro's and cons and it's really up to the person colecting them which size they choose. I can understand not having mini's if you want to collect mature looking dolls or like sewing for them with the sewing machine. Or maybe only owning mini's because you like to carry them around all day, everywhere. For me, I ain't choosing since I just love them all!

Edit for spelling.

9. Porque no los dos? I like little fantasy tinies (I only have one now, but I'm itching for more) and semi-realistic SDs. But not quite jumbo. I like the 56-70cm range, and typically not too beefy. But not MSDs. For whatever reason, they don't do it for me.

10. I cannot do anything bigger than Minis (and those are slim minis too). I've tried bigger dolls but I just can't with their size. I've gone through two, both FL Feeple60s, and they were still too big for me. I honestly felt like they were just too tall and I didn't like how their center of gravity was so high up, it made me nervous when standing them.

I also like to make dioramas and it's so much easier to make/find things MSD and tiny sized. Additionally, I like how little space they take up as I don't have much room.

11. I deliberately created my BJD world to be an urban fairytale from the very beginning, where anything goes, because I wanted to freely experience all the variety BJDs offered. I instinctively knew this would be the best fit for my creativity, love of eclecticism and Bohemian decor. So my dolls range in size anywhere from Realpuki to Senior65 Delfs, with no one size or body type preferred over another. Instead every purchase is entirely character-driven. I love sewing wardrobes for them, so if I have a difficult size to find clothes for, it’s no problem whatsoever. The same thing goes with creating their displays...I love expressing their individual characters with trunks, rooms, props, and accessories! Each individual display is like 3-dimensional art. When I walk through my home, it’s like visiting a secret fantasy world inhabited by all kinds of creatures...and I love it!;)

#31 PoeticSoul, Sep 18, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    12. After buying a Dollpamm Seravie I've been in love with mature YOSD (or even smaller).
      The only problem is probably the clothing, most of it is too childlish because it's for young dolls.

13. for me itty bitty size. i think 13 cms is the largest one i am planning on getting but that could change. Just know I will never own an SD. Even barbie is too big for me as I never really loved them as child but did play and own some.
      I like the itty bitty sized ones as easy to store, to carry and build houses and diaramas for. My other hobby are dollhouses (1:12th) so owning dolls that can overlap with that would be great

14. I prefer SD-sized dolls best. 60cm is nearly 2ft, so...I do like them big! But 70cm crosses the weight and size threshold of what I can comfortably carry (I'm a whopping 5'3"). 1/2 scale dolls are right out; the fact that one can fit in a stroller strikes me right in the uncanny valley.

My limit for small dolls is: if I can hide it in my mouth, I don't want to worry about misplacing it. My Cocoriangs are the smallest I have, and they are the size of my overzealous bite portions of a good carbonara--and just like my favorite pasta, I will protect them jealously. Please don't question my measurement system...

15. I've only had a tiny (15 cm) and a big SD boy (65 cm), and I honestly love the SD size a lot more than I thought I would. The tiny, a Pukifee, is very much too small for me. I still love her though. However, my SD boy is just the best! I love how easy it is to adjust the finer details like moving a single hair out of his face, or pulling the clothes a bit so they hang off his body more realistically. I want to try an MSD, but they seem kind of small to me now.

16. So many preferences, and so many reasons for them! I'm glad that this hobby can have something to match just about anyone's preferences, in size, or weight or style. All the diversity keeps it fun and interesting!

17. I admittedly find anything from 1/4 and smaller to be a bit too light and fragile for my tastes. SD-70cm+ are my absolute jam though. The heft, level of detail, ease to sew clothes for and do faceups on—never mind the abundant selection of finely detailed, unique and mature sculpts. I collect based on OCs/existing characters I want to develop into bjd form—and my focus has always catered more towards late teens, twenties and older for the age group I focus on. SDs happen to have the most options to choose from that work towards those I wish to shell.

I do have a couple of MSDs, but I find the majority in that scale are too child-like, and the fashion MSDs have heads too small for my tastes. Going smaller than that...unless it's an anatomically correct bjd cat—it's a huge no for me. I admittedly get squicked out by chubby, child-like faces and pudgy toddler/kid style dolls. Because of this—Yo-SDs are a huge turn off for me. (It probably has something to do with me not really being interested in kids in general.) For me—kittens are cute. Puppies are cute. Heck—even snake and spiders are cute. Little kid and toddler/baby dolls, however—are totally not cute, at least for me.

I don't intend to overrun my house with a huge collection of bjds, so I'm not too concerned about the space aspect. I'm more in it to shell my OCs and a few favorite characters, and I think having more than 25 dolls might be overkill:lol:

18. We might be sharing the same brain, cause basically that's my whole thought process and feelings on things as well. :XD:

My exception for little dolls though would be fantasy, the centaurs, fauns, etc. But still I really have a hard time liking chubby little dolls.

19. I love chubby little kid dolls. They cheer me up every time I see them. For adult dolls, I prefer 1/4 size dolls. Smaller for kid dolls. But the pukipuki sizes are a little too small for me. Placing eyes and finding wigs is too much of a challenge. I have some anyway... because they were too cute to pass up. I also have one 60cm and although I love her and she’s nice to hold, she’s going to be the only one. She just takes up too much room and feels unwieldy to me.

20. I started with 70cm, the glorious Ringdoll RGM-01 body, as my introduction to BJDs. And I kind of stuck with that size until... I want to say 2018, when I got in an MSD. The size is cute and offers more opportunities for adorable outfits. Or just outfits in general, as 70cm is not a typical/standard size. 1/3 or SD is easier to dress as well.

I seem to have a thing for the non-standard sizes, however, as I also have two of the Granado boys on the vinyl version of the Evol body. Bulky boys that stand at 64-65cm, so standard 1/3 doesn't fit and some EID clothes are a little baggy. But they are off-topic anywhere but the Brigadoon section of the forum, so I best not say too much more about them. But it is essentially the Evol body but not in standard resin or strung.

Then, I recently acquired my first FID-size doll. A gorgeous guy that I haven't stopped adoring since he came in a little over a month ago. But, again, clothing him is an issue. 1/3 tops that run a little small fit wonderfully as slightly oversized garments, but I've a feeling pants in that size would run too large and long. I don't think I have any to try, as most bodies I've had possess lovely long limbs that require 70cm trousers.

But, to answer the question, I think I love FID-scale bodies the most [having only owned one thus far...]. They possess the maturity of a 65-70cm body, while being a more... accessible size. I'd feel a lot happier taking my FID guy out with me than one of my Granado hulks!