1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Jointed hands vs Regular hands?

Oct 9, 2016

1. Depends on what the hands can do, for me. I have two boys from Illusion Spirit with jointed hands, but their jointed hands are pretty much useless when it comes to holding weight, and bends in all sorts of weird angles.... but on the MSD sized boy it's great for making kitty paws or peace signs and looking cute. Planning to swap back my 70cm boy's hands to his regular ones for his next photoshoot.

2. For the big (SD) dolls I'd prefer the jointed hands mostly I guess, but only if it still looks beautiful and in case if it would be available from the company who make the doll itself - I'm not into searching the other companies' parts for my dolls, mostly such combinations look bizarre to me because of few factors, including the color tone and proportion difference. For the smaller sizes I myself would be fine with the classical hands :)

3. I like the poseability but I don't really like how the joints look but it does depends on the hands. I would like to have one pair of jointed hands though.

4. While I like the idea of jointed hands, I'm not sure how practical they actually are. I have a pair I bought for Lue, two pairs in fact, but he has never actually used them. :roll:

When the first jointed hands started appearing, I also thought they looked too much like skeleton hands. I almost didn't buy Lue's two pairs, just because I was afraid they'd look too skeletal.... Skeletons seriously creep me out for some reason. Lol, even thinking about the fact that I have a skeleton inside me creeps me out! Like --> :horror::shudder:ablah::shudder

However I really really like jointed dolls, the more articulation the better, so my love of articulation won out, and I ordered two pairs of jointed hands for Lue, one pair with long pointed nails and one pair of normal looking hands.

To my great relief they didn't look all that skeletal in person.... actually they look more like the way a lobster's shell is jointed. Trouble is, they feel about as delicate as if they were actually made with tiny little empty lobster's shells, one for each finger section! I'm almost afraid to handle them since they feel like I could easily accidently crush them. :o

Plus, as I said, I'm not sure how practical they actually would be. His jointed hands don't feel like they could actually hold any prop that had any weight to it, like a 1:4 scale sword or gun. Which was the main reason I wanted jointed hands for him, so that he could actually hold things, but basically it seems they are really only good for gesturing. :roll:

Lol, that said, I still really like them and I get them out and marvel at them every once in awhile, because... well.... they're jointed! :love LOL!

#24 JRyu, Oct 21, 2016
      Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    5. Sorry, accidental double post.

Arghh! I hate my intermittent internet connection!!!

6. I know the feeling.

7. Well Said. I also feel tempted by the jointed hands for the same reason you stated, it allows your dolls to hold items and adds a new element for if you want to take photos of your dolls and such.

When I get my first doll, if it's an option then I will probably get one of each (two sets of hands) just so there's more things that I can do with my dolls.

8. I think to me it's all about look and pose-ability, I love the idea of jointed hands just because you can put the hand in any position that you want and it makes what you can do with your dolls hands so much more versatile and I would love to have the ability to position the fingers, but at the same time I think I prefer the look of normal hands because they look more realistic without the joints, so it's a difficult one!

9. I just had a pair of jointed hands for my SD boy. I totally understand the feeling of buying a good piece of clothing only to find that the hand of your doll can't fit pass the sleeves. That's not my only reason though. The hand sculpt is very nice and detailed. However, proportion-wise, my boy's hands are quite large so sometimes they appear awkwardly huge in photos. He also has a somewhat slim, delicate face to boot, so when I pose the hands close to his face, they look so big.

My jointed hands seem to be the just right proportion for my boy. The sculpt is not so shabby, the fingers still look like fingers instead of sausages. :lol:Poseability is great, and I guess depends on the company, they may be difficult to handle. Mine is strung well and pose wonders. Color-match wise, not perfect. I blushed my boy's body to match his faceup, so I just do the same thing to the jointed hands. It may seem troublesome, but doable, really. For me, it's almost therapeutic (though tiring) and a great way to make the doll really yours a.k.a bonding with your doll :3nodding:

10. I definitely wish for my doll to have jointed hands but they not compatible with Volks Dollfie Dream :P

11. I collect other dolls, so the big draw to BJDs for me was the ability to customize the doll and the ability to pose the doll. As a result, I love jointed hands because they are so rare in the other dolls that I collect and customize (the Volks Neo line used to have a pair of male jointed hands for action figures, but Volks no longer sells the line).

12. I had only a doll with jointed hands. After comparing both of them. I prefer regular hands more because they look more realistic for taking photos.

13. My jointed hands just came in, but though don't match. I am told that my dolls have probably yellowed a bit and that with time, the hands will match as well. However, they are bigger than my doll's normal pair?

14. While jointed hands are cool, I'm all about aesthetics, so it's regular hands all the way for me.

15. I think jointed hands are amazing! I don't have any myself, but love looking at pictures of them posed different ways and find them fascinating hehe When I do get my dolls, I want to get jointed hands for sure but am wary of them as it seems like it will add to complications when restringing and if a jointed breaks or something I'd be devastated.

16. My personal opinion is that jointed hands are a great thing for bigger dolls (60cm and above for example) but the smaller they are I don't feel its overly necessary. That's not to say it'll look bad but I feel with the smaller dolls they put more expression into the sculpt of the hands they come with, so you can still convey emotion with them easily. Plus everything becomes more difficult the smaller it gets XD

17. I prefer regular hands, for them looks better:kitty1

18. Restringing with jointed hands is pretty basic, but I have no idea how to restring the hand itself, or if that is even possible.

19. I have one doll with jointed hands and another one coming.

For the doll I have the hands work incredibly well. His character is the nervous, fidgety type and the hands are great for that. Most regular hands are sculpted to be as relaxed and versatile as possible and while that is very useful for most dolls, in this case the jointed hands really help show his personality better.

A tip for those of you who want the hands to hold heavier things and restringing doesn’t quite help (yes, you do need to restring jointed hands, usually more often than bodies since the elastic is so very thin and will age faster), try to stick the prop to the palm with a tiny piece of eye-putty. Together the fingers and the putty can hold much heavier objects.

20. How do you restring the hands though?