1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Jointed hands vs Regular hands?

Oct 9, 2016

1. My doll isn't here yet, but I am definitely going to find him some jointed hands when he does get here. The extra poseability is huge, in my book, and I don't think they look weird at all. I'm sure restringing is going to be a royal pain, but I'm used to small, fiddly work anyway. XD

2. I ordered a pair of jointed hands along with the normal hands for my first SD, a Resinsoul Mi, who hasn't arrived yet. I do find the look of the normal hands more appealing, but the poseability calls to me as well. So I wanted to have both. I'm perfectly fine with my MSD's having normal hands, however.

3. I prefer the look of normal hands too, but my MSD's jointed hands look beautiful since they've been blushed to match her

4. I have both. Mine came with regular but I also bought jointed. Depends on how you want to pose them and such. I always really liked the jointed but the ones I have seem a little big so I haven' been using them...

5. I like jointed hands, but since most of my dolls have fantasy hands there aren't many options that are interchangeable so I've kept them as-is. I've thought about buying a pair, but there are other things I'd rather have for that price.

6. I prefer regular hands as they're more aesthetically pleasing. I do, however, enjoy the poseability offered in jointed hands and believe they can be a great asset for photoshoots. :)

7. I hate changing doll parts, so swapping around hands doesn't appeal to me. I prefer the aesthetics of non-jointed hands. I can see the appeal of joints in posing, but I have a hard enough time posing my dolls without jointed hands (there always seems to be something out of place! --I joke that if I had jointed hands on my dolls I'd discover them all secretly giving me the finger when I went to review the photos!--and with me, that WOULD happen!).

It's totally a personal thing.

I do love to see people who really take care in posing a doll do things with the jointed hands, though! It's just not for me.

8. I own a pair of jointed hands. From my experience, they are really convenient for helping changing doll clothes because the fingers will not get in the way. In terms of aesthetics, I am not really fond of them since they look a bit creepy with all the exposed joints. If I am rich enough (haha), I would definitely opt for multiple hands in different poses just because they look more natural that way. Also I will have to set aside some fortune to have those hands blushed.

9. While none of my dolls sofar have jointed hands, I have a nonverbal character I want to shell so I'm pretty keen on getting jointed hands for her. I think it'd be very sweet to have her signing "I love you" while sitting on my doll shelf. That's honestly most of the appeal for me, my dolls being able to use sign language. And they're dolls with joints anyways, so the aesthetic of the hands doesn't matter too much to me.

10. Jointed hand is fun but I prefer the look of normal hands !

11. I LOVE my jointed hands but only on one of my dolls, he seems to be the more expressive protector of the bunch so when I'm having a bad day he might be expressing my thoughts toward certain people with his lovely hand signals :mwahaha I also pose them and make several memes to spam people on my messenger. I let his fingers do the talking:lol:

12. I don't have any dolls so I might change my mind later when I actually get to using them, but I want jointed hands. Only having one hand pose available when I am trying to pose just seems like it would be annoying to me. I like options.

13. I love seeing jointed hands in other people's' photos. They're especially nice with props. I think larger dolls (1/3+) can pull of jointed hands best. Jointed fingers can be really thin and noodly on MSD and YOSD hands, which looks weird to me on youthful bodies, whereas 1/3+ jointed fingers tend to have more detail and seem to fit more realistic sculpts.

While I like seeing them in pictures, I've discovered they're not for me/my dolls. I find posing the fingers (of MSD and YOSD jointed hands) extremely fiddly, and it drove me nuts when I'd taken a nice picture but one pinky is at like a 90 degree angle to the rest of the hand and it's too late to go back and fix it :doh.

I do put a lot of effort into finding the "perfect" unjointed hands for each of my dolls and/or boiling their hands to adjust their gestures.

14. I like more regular hands because their sculpt looks better for me. Joints spoil this picture.

15. Ahaha... so here's the deal with me. I much prefer the sculpting of regular hands, they look very aesthetically pleasing... However, my SDs happen to be a bunch of idiots that tend to be very expressive with their hands, so I couldn't not get jointed since my pictures were missing so much of that. And thus... I might or might not be waiting on a total of four pairs... And given that I will be most likely getting my two floaters bodies next year... I'll be in need of another two...

16. I adore jointed hands and am gradually working toward everyone having a pair. I love having my dolls hold items and make gestures in photostories and in general they open up a whole new level of expression.

I can see and appreciate why some people don’t care for them, though. If you stare at the joints long enough they start looking pretty alien, and it’s one more thing to worry about in photos—you snap this “perfect” picture of your dolls only to realize someone’s got a finger dislocated and tweaked round backwards...

17. I got the jointed hands for my Granado I ordered. I like the posability they have the potential for, but it will be my first pair so I’ll learn the disadvantages too.

18. I actually hate the look of jointed hands. But, I would love to get them. A lot of sites sell hands for their dolls and they just aren't enough for me. :c

19. I prefer jointed hand, yosd size really don't have that much hand to choose.

20. I'm actually pretty enamored with jointed hands, and when I finally order my doll I plan on getting a MSD sized pair! Some brands look better than others (I think some sculpt the palm awkwardly which makes them look off), but I think Resinsoul's look the best. I love the idea of extra expressiveness, and I like all the tiny little joints. It's very impressive.