1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Jointed hands vs Regular hands?

Oct 9, 2016

1. Jointed hands for certain. I feel like they're more expressive (which is something I'm especially drawn to), and I don't find them to be quite as fragile as regular non-jointed hands. If I had the opportunity, I would have all my crew set up with a pair. Eventually that is my plan!

2. I don't own a bjd yet, but I'm planning on buying a pair of Resinsoul jointed hands when I'll have my first girl. I just love how expressive they can be, even if the sculping isn't the best or the most appealing.

3. I have both but I'm definitively in love with jointed hands. Everytime I can do it I buy jointed hands for my dolls. I find them so much more expressive than regular hands !

4. So, having had my doll’s jointed hands for a while now, I can definitely see some pros and cons of them.

They are definitely more expressive, and so much easier to dress my doll with. On the flip-side, Doll Legend does not make gender-specific jointed hands for their MSDs, so my doll’s jointed hands look a tad too big for her, as if they were meant for a boy. I find this a bit ironic since most of their MSD sculpts are female. Also, when I take photos of my doll, there tends to be a somewhat noticeable lack of blushing on the inside of her joints where they are bent.

Also, they don’t have a separate jointed hand option for their BBs, and my BB would need a chubbier and slightly smaller hand than her older sister.

Their YoSD jointed hands are cute, and since all the YoSDs Have angel bodies, I may consider buying a pair in the future. However, as my YoSD came with two pairs of hands to begin with, I usually just use the little fist pair so that I can dress her more easily.

5. I have both, but I prefer jointed hands!

6. I recently got my first doll with jointed hands, and I think they're really cool! They're Doll Chateau jointed hands, though, which seem quite a bit different from most other kinds. Their joints are more limiting but that makes them almost always look nice, even when they haven't actually been properly posed.

Honestly I'd never sought out jointed hands because the ones I'd seen in photos and videos had fingers that often seemed to be curled up unnaturally or poking off in weird directions. I'd rather just have boring, reliably nice looking hands than super posable ones...

7. Is it hard to string them?

8. I love the concept of jointed hands - however - I haven't found any that I think are esthetically pleasing to look at so I stick with sculpted hands (and there are several companies out there that make beautifully sculpted hands!)

9. It depends. I would love jointed hands on a SD and regular hands on a MSD or Yo-SD.

10. I think it really depends on the person and what the non jointed hand sculpts look like. Some people prefer the aesthetic to functionality, but I personally love jointed hands (specifically dc jointed hands)

11. Well, I bought some, I like them for Poseability, but yeah, aesthetics are lacking.

12. I prefer regular hands cuz they look prettier? ... i usually try to cover up the joints of the doll (even the shoulder and elbow joints etc) so to me jointed hands are though very poseable but a little hard on the eyes.. just my personal opinion!

13. Think it cool you can move fingers but hate to see joints on dolls. If doll wears gloves then it ok.

14. I prefer regular hands and maybe having extra pairs in different poses. Jointed hands are cool, but all that visible jointing just doesn't have the visual flow that I like.

But I have been tempted by the idea of jointed hands for characters who often wear gloves or to do like an Edward Elric doll back when I was super into FMA.

15. Regular hands for me! I really don't like the appearance of jointed hands and I would only use them if they are covered (gloves, etc.) because it feels like they easily ruin a doll for me.

16. Definitely not a fan of jointed hands. I think they look skeletal and are never made with the same level of detail that sculpted hands often have, and very detailed hands are a big draw for me. I've also found the jointed hands I've played with to be a little finicky to pose and look natural.

17. I prefer having normal hands because I'm lazy and I don't really enjoy the idea of switching out hands all the time. I also don't really enjoy the appeal of jointed hands. I like the smooth and unified appearance of normal hands. I don't worry too much about my doll holding something because his fingers are naturally curled inward. I do appreciate that jointed hands are very versatile but I would choose to put aesthetics over functionality. :lol:

18. I don't have any jointed hands but I want some! I don't think they look at aesthetically appealing but I love the idea that I can pose them. I love sculpted hands too but depending on the design they sometimes don't work so well. Like one of my guys looks like he's about to ring someones neck with the weird pose his hands are in :lol:

19. It depends on the doll, and the hands. I ordered Soom jointed hands for one of my dolls, but haven't yet mustered the courage to string them together, and I ordered a doll that comes with jointed hands. If the jointed hands are too small in proportion to the doll, they don't look quite right, and if they don't have the range of motion needed to make the poses you want them to make, the increased expressiveness isn't very helpful.

A non jointed hand in almost exactly the pose you want the doll to make is better than a jointed hand that isn't quite the right size or color, and can't do what you want it to do.

20. I just ordered my first set of 1/3 boy hands from Alice's and the wait period is like 4-5 months which was suprising for hands. I'm excited to get them though for all the posing possibilities. Never had jointed hands before so should be interesting. At least he has normal ones to tie him over for now. I was going to do minimal blushing on them myself but honestly I'd be touching it up frequently from all the handling... so I may re think that...