1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Thought: BJD Persocoms?

Nov 15, 2008

1. I've seen a doll that can dance, so the motion is very possible. There's Siri for the iPhone 4S, she can talk and all that stuff. There's Cleverbot, who forms a personality in each conversation. And there's Vocaloid/UTAUloid, and software like that could be implemented for the voice. I don't see anything holding anyone back from doing this! I know that I personally would be willing to learn what I needed to to be able to assist in a project like this. I know that if this was available, no matter the price as long as I could save for it, I would definitely go for it. Sure, after reading the whole Chobits manga, I don't really think I want a being with its own personality or anything like that, as long as it wasn't simple programming. But there's a lot we could do with that, is there not? So I'd love to see this one day.

2. Well, I wouldn't want them to speak, but that's really the only thing I'd leave out. It'd be cool if they had face recognition, (already exits), and allow them to gesture accordingly. BUT...would I own such a doll? Probably not, because...by then it'd be more of an android than a doll.

3. I for one would rather have BJDs that worked like the ones in Angelic Layer first (totally not because that's how it is in CLAMP cannon at all -lies-) and then get myself a Persocom.

For now, I do think it would be a good idea. Not a stretch at all. I think it's what most people would like to have.

When they do get made...I will throw my money at the manufacturers to get one.

Okay, not really, I doubt a creation like the robots in Chobits'll ever actually happen within our life-times to be honest. Maybe towards the end... Technology is advancing sure, but there's a lot to iron out first... Like many of the issues the anime and manga raises for example.

Now for battling robots like the Angels...that might be easier. We have gotten on that path with brain wave technology already. Has anyone else seen those toys that let you float a ball around? I saw those and I got super excited for Angels. Hehehe.

4. I would hate that. Totally terrifying. I want dolls to have DOLLS! Not freako talking "pet" things. I'm sure it's possible - but I won't buy it. Humans are annoying. We don't need to add fake ones to the list.

5. I skipped a lot of pages between the first and last page of this discussion.. so forgive me if someone else has already said this.

Angelic Layer and Chobits are kinda intertwined, as Icchan (the scientist guy) was the landlady's late husband in Chobits. Back when I first started my online college classes, there was a computer literacy class in either late 2010 or early 2011 that I discussed this sort of idea. At the time though, I hadn't gotten into ABJDs yet.

I think the technology is there, and from what I remember in my paper for the class I researched and found that the Japanese had started experimenting on trying to develop things like this on a human scale but had just done the head part or something. There's also a live-action series based on the manga Absolute Boyfriend where the boyfriend is actually a robot, but there were differences between the manga and series. I think SIRI is a little closer to making people more anti-social with other people, since I heard there were some people who only wanted to talk to SIRI and not anyone else.

Around that time, I was thinking having something like that would be really nice.. it could get a job, supply you with extra income from that job and do everything like a normal human would.. but there's the problem of no emotions like a human. While it might pass as a substitute, it's probably not as good as a real human being for emotional comfort, etc. Wow I really typed quite a bit, didn't mean for this to be long.