1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Thought: BJD Persocoms?

Nov 15, 2008

1. tt's a cool idea.
      it is possible to make such dollfies.
      in japan, there are robots created to recognise human voice and do simple tasks like sweeping floor, cooking food.
      if they implement such technology into dollfies, it is definitely possible.
      but the cost per doll will be veri expensive cuz it is of high tech dollfies.
      by then, dollfies might be the next new trend in the whole wide world.

but , it is good that our dollfies stay in current state. cuz dollfies give us a serene quiet beauty that we love a lot. so, can u imagine if ur dolls can speak and start to nag at u when u dun clean up ur roomm..lol

2. Lols, a persocom like Sumomo would be a better alarm clock for me lul.

"WAKEY WAKEY EXCERCISES~!!!!!" :sumomo:

3. If you've seen some of the advancements in techonology (youtube osaka robot fair for an example) and considering how advanced our phones are right now, it's entirly possible that we can live to see a BJD that has voice recognition, preprogrammed phrases, is a calculater, PDA, and maybe even a music player (maybe that one would be little weird?) but the problem is, the BJD community is very small compared to the interests of the general public. Even robotics aren't considered as important as I, personally, believe they should be. So unless the persocoms caught on to everyone else, I can't imagine a company investing so much into a small audience, unfortunately. But the technology is so close to persocoms, minus the fact that robots today do not have A.I. and are still in uncanny valley.

Personally, I don't know if I'd get one. I probably would though.. c'mon, it would be the cutest piece of technology out there. They would probably come with a choice of "personality", and even a range of voices that you could hear so you can pick which one suits your doll best :) I'm a geek, so I wouldn't be able to resist.

4. If I got a persocom, it'd be life sized. I don't want to put anything inside Nathaniel.

5. I'm a big technology nerd, so I'd absolutely love if one of my dolls could be integrated as a sort of computer/robot, like in Chobits. Being able to keep one around would be very convenient, especially if they could double as a usb drive XP

6. It would actually be pretty easy to design a set of questions to give a detailed and realistic custom personality to a "persocom-style" bjd by using already existing psychological tests of personality traits. But translating that into appropriate behavior on the part of the robot doll would be a huge programming job (similar to but more complex than a big CGI animated movie) and would take a lot of memory to function.
      I think the part of this idea that is aesthetically not working for me is the speech function. Bjd's mouths don't move (mostly,) or if they do, they look like puppets. And I hate cheap tinny electronic sound generation like toys usually have!
      Otherwise, I would love to have a cute little bjd who followed me around and kept me on schedule, (since I'm so spacy) but realistically can't see shelling out the thousands of dollars I know it would cost. And as several have pointed out, it's not really suited to mainstream taste, so it would tend to be and stay very expensive.

7. when i woke up tis mornin, i turn to look at my YosD and i tot of sumomo. imagined that it is functioning like sumomo, waking me up and doin the mornin exercise.lol

think it is a better option , to let the bjds to remain as it is now.

8. I want my dolls silent and unable to move on their own. I'm "old-fashioned" I guess. ;)
      i've seen plenty of movies and read plenty of books about human-like robots and such and while they are some of my favorites, i really wouldn't want one.

with the technology we have now, people are already neglecting the REAL world and REAL people while they favor "imaginary" relationships. I know people who are always talking about "my friend" this and "my friend" that when it is a person living across the world whom they've never even met. having friends not just IRL is fine, but people seem to lose perspective. i think AIs would just further this.

I read a comic series a while back when it first came out, Absolute Boyfriend, but I disliked it because the main character turned down a relationship with a REAL person who loved her to be with her robotic boyfriend. I was upset that the series basically made something like that seem okay, acceptable, or even encouraged. Sure, we don't have that kind of technology now, but it may come in the future.

People need to interact more with real people, not turn their dolls into companions.

9. hmm... well personally I would be in 'aw' if there was a bjd that could walk and do stuff on it's own. However, I've always hated the idea of talking toys. Even so, It may actually be possible to program a voice into your doll, I once seen a well 'barnie' doll that had a programable voice box. you plug it into your compy, type in what you wish it to say and how to answer select questions and then unplug and give to the child. In RL, despite it's few 'toysrus classic' flaws, the doll it's self was really fun in the sense that it could answer my little brother questions with great answers. for example, he asked, "whats my favorite food?" the the doll replied, "hot dog and fries."

If this is possible for a simple plush barnie, why not a bjd?

10. This makes me want to pay a visit to my friends in the robotics department at my University...

I'd love to have a little 'robot' doll. Nothing complex, though; speaking robots cross my uncanny valley. Just animated enough to respond and shift her weight when I picked her up, or turn her face in the direction of a loud noise or sudden movement.
      A sort of 'living doll' that is still in essence a 'doll' that needs someone to move her from place to place.

It would totally creep-out people in public. Wheee~~~ XD

Okay, next week I'm totally going to the robotics lab and asking for an estimate. >.>

11. to tell the truth that's my dream, hope one day they will do dollfie persocoms, that would be fantastic news

12. While I in no way dispute your preference for low-tech toys/hobbies (heck, I’m a die-hard technophile and I’m often dismayed at how hard it is to find a kid’s toy that doesn’t require batteries), I do feel like it’s a little off to suggest that it’s technology of itself that’s driving people apart. Take the example of online friendships: are they really only “imaginary” relationships? Sure, they’re different from ones where you see the person face-to-face regularly, but they’re no less real, and epistolary friendships are hardly limited to the information age—people have been keeping in touch at a distance for centuries. If you had a pen-pal when you were a kid, and never met him or her, was that friendship any less real just because you only wrote to each other?
      So I maintain that if people are having problems, turning away from real relationships (like in your manga) it’s not that they would otherwise have had the healthy relationships (at least not necessarily), it’s just that having the technological alternative allows them to have that relationship instead of the nothing or fatally flawed relationship they might have had otherwise (and I’ve seen some of the flawed relationships that people who have serious interpersonal issues can get into, and wouldn’t wish them on the poor unsuspecting folks who don’t realize what’s up until it’s too late).
      I believe BJDs in general, and BJD-style persocoms if they were to come into existence, don’t make people anti-social. Other factors make some people anti-social and they just happen to express that through their relationship with hobbies and technology. Most people in the hobby would continue on more or less as before, with perhaps one or two “smart” BJDs as much for novelty’s sake (or for some, because it fits the character) as anything.

13. Hmm.. you know, I don't think I'd want ALL BJD's to have advanced technology, but if I could get one SD or MSD that acts like the laptop persocoms... that'd be flippin' awesome, aha.

But to make all BJD's little robots? Naw, I think that'd take away from their beauty.

14. I would LOVE to have a persocom!! Even a life-size one! There are actually life-size dolls that can greet you at the door when you come home from work!

If there were bjds like persocoms i'd try even harder to get one.

15. Men that would be so cool. I'd really want one.

16. I think that it'd just be nice to have a companion that isn't living. I love my pets, but they're a lot of work - a BJD-robot wouldn't have the issues of going hungry or making a mess on my carpet. XD

I don't think I'd care much for them talking though. That'd be a bit weird.

But it'd be nice to have something to hug me or lean against me when I carry her, since my boyfriend is always so far away.

17. It'd be interesting for dolls to be like persocoms, I'm sure one day it will be possible, I mean look at all of the things Japan has come up with. It would be nice for something like a persocom to do laundry, cook, clean, etc. But then you think about it personalities would be programmed into the doll and we couldn't make them our own really. But it would be a nice idea still.

18. Robotics freak me out for some reason, I think it has something to do with having watched too much sci-fi and anime in dark rooms. The thought of an inanimate object moving at the whim (via programming) of a stranger (the maker), well, anything could happen from my point of view. I'd be paranoid that a robot would be programmed to do something particularly evil if a certain code kicked in. :sweat

As for a robotic BJD, they seem to get into enough trouble without the need for robotics. :lol: Imagine what they could get up to if they could move! :o

19. Darn, they stole my idea

I really want a robotic creature, wanted for ages, and when I found BJD's, the missing piece had been put to place. Soon, I'll be going to a majoring in robots, and have several plans for a robotic doll, with a few schematics already lying around, for simple commands.

Alot of technology now is constantly shrinking in size, while the performance grows. This is good. The only real hazards I can see with hardware-modding a doll is that the condensators get pretty hot, and this *will* damage the resin. Still working on this issue, but all other details aresuper-secret.

I *do* think it is possible, and highly realistic.

20. I also feel that it would take away from the dolls their beauty and general specialness if they are made into little robots. I like them as they are. Besides if my laptop was a little person I would feel so depressed when it crashed because it would seem dead o.o

I would prefer my electronics not have a human shape XD Especially an alarm clock, because I would feel bad if I threw it against the wall.