1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Just buying dolls that have the same "look"?

Feb 4, 2010

1. I just pick dolls I like the look of and don't care about them matching, unless I was doing something like making a pair of twins.

Hmmm WooSoo vampire male and female heads on female bodies... (has interesting thoughts)

I have to admit that I do have a thing for Beauty White dolls, but I like the fact that different companies have different tones in their BW / WS ranges.

Although I think for my next doll I might do something completely different to my usual Beauty Whites...

Phil.

2. I don't think about it consciously but when I look at my dolls, I notice that there is probably something similar in them, like, I don't like straight noses and regular features, I'm looking for something more irregular. But it just happens this way, I don't choose it to be so.

3. I have two Abio Angel yi boys, but even those look quite different.. :) and the others don't really look like eachother either.. :) but I love that about them :)

4. The facial appearance of my dolls vary quite a bit; however, I have been accused of bying the same expression for each one of my three boys. Their expression: Livid. They all look like they'll gut you with a rusty dagger while you sleep at night. XDDD So, next to one another, the don't look so bad because of that. But I have a Souldoll Soo-Hyun, a Dollzone HID, and a HZdoll Tian. They are a pretty nice transition between cartoon and realisim without having to really strive for it. But, to answer the original question flat out; no, my dolls have no similar "look." They are each different in a very different way.

5. I designed my intrepid crew of neighborhood misfits to reflect a diverse inner-city neighborhood, where everything and anything fits in. All my dolls are unusual, magical creatures that you might stumble across if you were very lucky and looking very carefully at what other people ordinarily miss. Each of them is from a different company, but they all have a certain "look" that I like so they look good together. (I find I'm drawn to dolls that tend to be a little more anime than super realistic, I like a pleasant face that's not overly detailed and is more of a blank slate. And I'm really turned off by heads that are small...I like them a little larger to reflect the fact that they are mystical beings rather than ordinary people.) Fortunately, the slightly more anime looking dolls are everywhere so they're easy for me to find. The problem is choosing between them, especially since I need to keep my numbers very small (like somewhere around 5.) Anymore than that and I start to feel overwhelmed.:sweat

6. Mine don't match each other in scale or style. More than wanting a similar group, I had a list of size and style "wants" I'm checking off slowly...

7. I would say I do this a lot. It's not that I ever see a doll that isn't super adorable and think 'it wouldn't fit in', but it's just.. well, my taste I suppose. :) There is a certain look I like for my girls and boys, so yes, I tend to end up getting dolls with similar looks.

8. Oh. Hm, no I need mine to all have different looks. I don't want them all to look related, so they need plenty of variety.
      I do have a trend of realism, but some of them break that. Mathonwy is a bobbleheaded big eye boy, but his sculpt is the right style so he stays. Siofra... well she's a faery, a Sidhe, so I let her get away with more stylized looks and her huge fawn ears.

9. I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit it... Mine absolutely do all share a similar sculptural style. It's the most fundamental basis for that "boring weeaboo brats who all look alike"-thing. :lol:

The majority of them are from the same group of sculptors (Cerberus Project- I have Delfs, Feeples, MiniFees and LittleFees-), but even the dolls from other sources were chosen *because* they both fit my own tastes and matched the rest of the collection. Dolls that don't "look right" with the rest of the crew don't stay, it's as simple as that.

10. I really like my dolls to look proper in photographs together, so I tend to go for the "Luts Look" which is not limited to Luts.

I've got Luts, Abio Angel, Cherishdoll, and Dollzone (how does that fit?! I have no idea it just works and I love my Mo) and I'm saving up for a Leeke L Kyle as we speak.

Once this group is complete though, I'm moving on to a more "realistic" look: Migidolls and Zaolls. That's the plan anyway.

So, yes, I like the dolls that are part of the same "set" to have the same look.

11. The only dolls I would like to have with the same "looks" would be families =3

I do not really mind if they dont look the same as I really like all the different faces and styles =D

I wish I had more even! > w<

12. haha! that was one of the best things i've read in a while on here. that's just what i feel like. :lol:

13. I just go by the dolls I fall in love with & probably have some strange matchings but usually I have several dolls of similar type to display together. I like the variety of different looks.

14. Yes.

I always sort of knew this was important to me but only very recently did I realize just how important it is. None of my dolls actually look like they are related persay (which is good as none of their characters are), but they DO all look as though they all come from the same 'world'. I stick to a very specific sort of style in which they are sculpted and mysisters hve both told me they can't really tell any of their faces apart from one another, and who knows, maybe to others they really do look that similar. But to me I can pick out their differences in a heartbeat, but I enjoy that they are all sculpted with a similar aesthetic.

However, on that note aside from my first 2 dolls I still strive not to collect dolls from the same company. In that way I still enjoy the variety of different companies, I simply strive to make sure all my characters from the same storyline all blend in a unified way together. I've found that this gives me the most enjoyment out of them and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

15. Buying dolls that have the same look is really important for me. I want my dolls to go together and look like a family. Though I don't know if I will still feel this way in the future, I may want to expand my horizons a little!

16. So far, i've bought a Lim Hwa half elf and 2 CH anges and they couldn't be more different.

Though I'm trying to build up a doll family, i'm more particular about sizes/ages rather than facial similarities.

17. I agree with you. My dolls are from the same group of sculptors (CP) and the only non-CP sculpt is my Lati Kahn. He looks very different from the others, but I needed an older looking guy, so he stays.

18. I had originally intended to do this ... I wanted my dolls to be a real "family" and I still would like to pursue that some day but ... I guess it started with buying the broken doll parts I know call "Rusty" and then falling in love with the idea of a unicorn doll and loving the March in White skin cause I love her eyes. and I enjoy modding so much now it seems that my head keeps coming up with these fun and unusual doll ideas that I want to do because I love the DIY mentality along with the OOAK perk. so my too much time + too much imagination (multiplied by not a lot of money any way) has won out thus far... but its more fun that way, in the end ^_^ (of course, as a result I dont own any thing one might call "normal" but hey ,what is really normal in this hobby?)

19. No absolutely not. All the dolls I love or own are different sizes and come from different companies. I love variety far too much.

The dolls I have planned for characters are slightly more realistic and obviously resemble the character I have in mind, they are also SD.

My boy Kori, wasn't a planned character but turned out to basically be the physical manifestation of my muse. He's MSD, with no set age, and resembles more of my style with its varying colors/styles than the 'character dolls' with set ideas as to how they will dress. He is also more whimsical.

Not to mention the elf twins I have planned for one day.

So while I only have 1 full doll and a floating head, they are nothing alike. Kori is an MSD from luts, while Robin is SD and hails from migidoll. ^^ The planned dolls vary in size, company, resin color, and species :lol: They are family for me, but totally unrelated to each other.

Like I stated...I love variety.

20. Yeah I kind of do that, I try to get dolls that look alike XD I'm saving up for a twin to my first doll right now, and then after that I plan on getting a doll that looks like a smaller version of him XDDDD
      And since I wanted other dolls, I had to create a whole different backstory to fit them, because they didn't match my other characters hehehe

So yes, I do get dolls that look alike ^^