1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

keeping the original box?

Jul 23, 2019

1. If you have just one doll than is easy to keep the box.
      If you have 30 dolls....the boxes would for sure take a lot of space.You can always untie a box in order to save space.
      My personal opinion is that in the case of a future sale the most important document would be the CoA and not the box.
      ;)

2. I keep all the boxes I have received for my dolls. I think this started out as a habit from collecting so many other types of dolls over the years. When I finally made the plunge and got my first bjd, and many others after that, I just automatically saved the box. I honestly had not thought too much about throwing the boxes away. Personally when I buy a second hand doll I prefer to have the box but, if the previous owner can fully prove it is legit I will sometimes get the doll without the box.

3. I keep all the boxes I have received for my dolls. I think this started out as a habit from collecting so many other types of dolls over the years. When I finally made the plunge and got my first bjd, and many others after that, I just automatically saved the box. I honestly had not thought too much about throwing the boxes away. Personally when I buy a second hand doll I prefer to have the box but, if the previous owner can fully prove it is legit I will sometimes get the doll without the box.

4. There was a time when I threw them all out, but now I prefer to keep them. If/when I decide to move, it’ll help with transporting them. Also with as often as I sell and trade, the box helps prove legitimacy. When buying secondhand, it’s not a deal breaker if the doll doesn’t have a box, but I very much prefer that it does. Space isn’t an issue as I keep the boxes on the top shelf in a spare room where I don’t need to store anything else.

5. I’ve kept all of my doll’s boxes, except for one (I used the box to ship a doll I sold as that doll didn’t have one). I keep the boxes just for resale purposes, but I would rather not have them take up the space. My storage is pretty much filled up as I also have a good sized action figure collection with their boxes. All in my bedroom, in the closet, or under the bed. :sweat

6. If I have the COA I toss the box at this point, I really despised how much space they took up, aheh. If someone decides to sell a doll that has the COA but not the box I honestly breathe a sigh of relief ^^; They become too much of a burden after five SDs... @_@

7. If I know I'm keeping the doll for the foreseeable future, yeah I do not care about boxes. I guess on one of my purchases I probably should have as the doll herself had no CoA, but they just take up so much space.

I do still like having a place to put them, so I'm always on the hunt to get nice soft carriers for them. It just makes more sense to me. Or maybe I've gotten really tired of doing box jenga. Also, I just like the idea of getting carriers that are somewhat reflective on the doll's personality.

8. I live in a tiny house, so no room for shipping boxes. I only kept one box for a doll that I knew there’s high probability of having to sell her :)

9. @ultrapandachan Oh!! I’ve watched a lot of things about tiny houses. Can I ask if that plan affects your collection size?

I hold onto boxes because of resell value and all the ones I’ve gotten I’ve liked the feel of. The satin texture on Volks boxes is really nice.

10. I love the boxes. I use them to store dollie supplies. I do see myself in the future selling some dolls... So I keep them for that reason also

11. My boxes are stored away in a closet along with whatever parts I’m not using. If I have to move to someplace smaller, it could be an issue.

12. Hmmm so far I mainly keep the boxes the dolls came in but that's part of my storage solution currently. Of the secondhand dolls I get, I don't care if they have their original box but it's nice if they do.
      Not sure if I would part with the boxes later since they are nice but they do take up space. But I think I'd still keep a hold of them.

13. I do have some "NICER" boxes, like my souldoll box is so gorgeous compared to my luts (which are much more utility style. I dont have any boxes that have the hard form to protect the doll, just the soft cushions to support them in transport. I guess that's why i wrap them up in my clothes and put them in a big tote that I carry. I think if i had any super pretty boxes or the really sturdy boxes, I may keep them.
      but on to the question of why i quoted! I don't plan to downsize at all. I have a lot of collectibles that are small and a lot of plushies. for me, i currently have them displayed on two mainstay bookshelves (including all of my bjd) if i had a larger home for a forever home, i would love to have a diorama room and each of my dolls have their own little "room" in there, but in a tiny home, i'd probably keep them much like i have them now. of course when we move the home, i would take down the breakables or have them in a more secure cabinet with stands that are glued in place.

I have about 15 or so dolls now, but the vast majority are less than 1/3. I prefer 1/3 but i do now own two 1/4 dolls. one off topic and one luts. I wanted to get them because of clothing options!! Most of my dolls are also fanatasy and are centaurs and to putt them back into ttheir shipping box, i have to unstring them O:. anyone who owns a centaur knows how annoying that is!

I decided to get rid of all of my boxes except the prretty souldoll one and one of my artisan doll boxes. I love the packaging she used and I will probably use it to store some stuff in it. I currrently use some hat boxes to store items in for my dolls but i can use the shipping boxes for other storage. Thanks everone for your input.

14. I will almost never keep a box. One, I buy primarily secondhand and often what I receive is not the original box anyway. Two, there's just not enough room for close to 50 doll boxes in my apartment. And three, once a doll comes in, it doesn't have a tendency to leave. I do buy large plastic bins with lids and put all their cushions and any dolls that aren't on display in there for safer and sturdier space-saving storage!

15. I have my original boxes and still use them for storage. I shipped my Shushu back to the US by ocean when I moved home from Japan and was glad to have her box to pack her in. I packed it in a crate of my clothes and she got home without a scratch.

16. I keep boxes for everything so I can keep their resale value up in case I ever need to sell anything for whatever reason

17. I've destroyed all my doll boxes as I had a bad habit of selling my dolls quickly on ebay, for half what I paid for them, just so I could buy a new doll :blush I know they will be very hard to sell without a box now, so they are KEEPERS! (phew)

This has put a stop to my 'revolving door' dolly habit, but it was challenging moving house twice with them recently! I swathed them in bubble wrap and used their padded bags from the boxes, and took them personally using wheeled luggage, rather than entrusting them to removals company. It took a few trips as they are all big dolls, and very heavy, but they survived unscathed.

18. I have most of mine, but they just kind of live in the attic. I used them while moving to make sure the dolls were safe, so that was great to have.

19. I’m keeping my dolls boxes, but all other boxes from my collections went to the garbage when I moved. ( I collect a lot of stuff)

20. I kept the box my first doll came in, but she's pretty rare. I don't have a lot of doll space in my apartment, so i don't think i'll be keeping any other boxes.