1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

keeping the original box?

Jul 23, 2019

1. I got into this hobby before COAs existed, so my keeping their boxes proves that they are legit. When I moved cross-country a few years ago, my BJDs were the first thing that went into the moving truck. I made sure to pack them really well, but as it were, I have a few dolls I bought second-hand, so they didn't have boxes. They ended up in the front of the moving truck with me and kept me and my four cats company as I drove. Since most of my dolls are SDs or larger, the front seat of my U-haul must have been quite the sight whenever I stopped at a rest stop!

Now my boxes are stored in the basement of my house, in the storage room underneath the stairs. Harry Potter would have been proud!

Ryu

#81 Ryuichi Sakuma 13, Sep 18, 2019
      Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    2. I've kept mine, but they're yosd boxes. Any collectable that has a biggee box I've let go of the box. After seeing a friends closet taken over with boxes I decided I didn't want to deal with losing that much space in my house lol. I'll take the loss if I sell.

3. My second-hand dolls don't have their boxes, but if I buy straight from the company I want to keep the boxes. I think they are a good way to store the dolls and also pretty. I don't have much space, but I am currently more into tiny dolls, so that helps a little with the storage problems. :XD:

4. In the early days I tried very hard to keep my doll boxes for the reasons other members have outlined- but over time having bought and sold many dolls I ended up using my own doll boxes for packaging of second hand dolls that I originally purchased without their boxes. Turns out it is not easy to find SD sized doll boxes in my part of the world :sweat

5. I have so many boxes now it is crazy,I am so thankful a lot of artists are now making bags instead since they are easier to lug around and store!

6. I try to keep all my boxes! I used to do it even when my main collecting focus was anime figures too. As long as you have a place to store them I'd suggest keeping them just so you have some way to pack them up if needed or if you ever end up selling them you still have their box

7. I keep all my boxes! I have a weird fascination with boxes anyway; you never know when they’ll be useful! I collect a bunch of things (dolls, rocks, cards, figures), so boxes are always needed. But I also use my doll boxes for transporting my dolls and storing extra clothes and accessories and stuff. Doesn’t make sense to me to get a different storage method when I’ve got nice big boxes right there. :lol: Plus, some are really pretty! (My favorites right now are my Dollits box and LTF box, which is just adorable.)

8. Yes, theyre good for storing bjd stuff

9. Hmm personally I keep the boxes! I only own 2 dolls so only 2 boxes not that much but they still take space. Why? First is proof they’re legit original, second if you’re going to sell them most buyers prefer the boxes and third you can always put them back in their boxes if you’re not gonna use them or you’re moving.

10. Coming from the figure collecting hobby, I felt at first like I HAD to keep the box to retain the value of my dolls. Now, I’m just... so tired of all these boxes being in my house. I never plan on selling my dolls, so I don’t feel pressured anymore to keep boxes I don’t need or want. I do keep some of them for storage of odds and ends like yarn or craft items, but the rest I have no more issue with throwing out. Unless the box is special, I super don’t want it.

11. I'm a pack rat and was already a figure collector and its a cardinal rule for me to keep boxes. I like to use them for storage of clothes or heads or props when my dolls are being displayed. And whenever I move they are so nice to pack everyone into. There's a couple of guys who don't have boxes but I plan on getting boxes for them. One had a box but doesn't fit, because they shipped him headless so its too short. And the other guy I bought second hand with no original box. I plans for them though. Probably going to get some of this nice cases on LegendDoll.net

12. I prefer keep the original boxes now, but when I am having more and more and more, I might flatten those boxes into papers for easy storage :cool:

13. oh boy...boxes...I have a feeling this will be long.
      I´m lucky to have never had to move with my dolls - yet I would never think of throwing away a box. All my girls have a box that only came with their release: very nice, sturdy Volks boxes with a specific design for the doll they came with.
      As others have said, you really never know how your tastes and income will change over the years so I would personally never rule a doll "unsellable". I have been collecting many things over the years and within a couple of years one's tastes can completely change. Not only that, but sometimes there is a release you know you will love much more than some dolls you haven´t really spent time with in the last months - it can always happen.
      Having started with collecting action figures, my dolls just don´t feel "complete" without their box since it also has the doll´s picture, etc. I always try to keep not just the doll but all the parts (booklet, fullset and of course box) in great condition for the collector who will one day own it (once I fall out of love with a doll or maybe after I die - but all my girls will leave me one day). I´m always very happy to find a fullset in great condition after it has been in people´s collections for more than a decade - I want my dolls to be like that too.
      Because I´m so careful with my boxes (I keep them in the plastic bag and shipping box they came in) using them for doll-storage would be impractical. My dolls have their own wardrobe so I can reach them easily - but I do keep everything in the boxes that I know I won´t need for a while (fullset parts that aren´t my taste/I´m not using but keep as part of the doll).
      I´m very lucky as Volks boxes with shipping carton fit exactly under my bed (I´m talking 1cm room and that´s it) so even though I have little space - I can keep all my boxes. Another factor is that I don´t like to have too many dolls since I feel they just don´t get played with enough if I have more - I tend to sell a doll when I feel she has turned from family member to room decor. I would say my bed alone would fit about 10 SD-sized boxes and about 6 more could go on various wardrobes/shelves - yet I´m pretty happy with keeping around 5 big dolls at a time so I don´t feel like I will run out of space soon.

14. I've kept all of my doll boxes, and all of my dolls are SDs. That's about 20-something SD-sized boxes I have in one closet. I feel better about transporting them in their boxes, and having just moved two weeks ago I was less stressed knowing that they were safe.

15. I moved countries a few times across my BJD hobby and keeping the boxes back in the day before COAs, especially the SD-sized ones are just not feasible. :? Since then, I have yet to receive a new doll since 2010, but I will soon enough. I'd probably still hesitate keeping those boxes though.

16. I keep my boxes too. I want to be able to protect my dolls when I need to, may it be from light and dust, or if I'm to move. They take some space but they're pretty so I guess it's fine. I only own a few dolls though, maybe I'll change my mind when they'll start to pile up ahah

17. If I get a box with my doll, I will keep it. If my doll does not have a box, it does not concern me much. I have a part of my basement with doll boxes in doll boxes, inside shipper boxes. I moved once and they were handy to have. I doubt I will ever sell any of my dolls, but it is nice to have them as some of my dolls predate COAs.

18. In general - I'm a fan of keeping the boxes. I think it's smart for moving and frankly storage if you decide to put a few dolls away. I have all of my boxes expect for one:...( my Volks box. I bought my doll while in Japan and it just wasn't feasible to ship an empty box, just to have the box. I bought a carry bag for her and that's where she'll live when she's not out. I have zero intentions of ever selling her, plus she's just a standard model that apparently has been around forever, so she's readily available. I think if she had been a one-off limited, super special something - I might have kept the box, just because. But the basic plain Volks box with the option/model sticker on it - not so special. I've got my "receipts" :lol:

19. I keep my boxes. I'm surprised to see so many posts stating that they are being recycled. I haven't enuff posts to see the market place but I would think that for every person who wants to chuck an old volks box there's someone out there with a secondhand Nana who would love to have it.

20. I dont normally keep my boxes, due to downsizing and just overall space. i do have a dedicated storage area now under my stairs that i can keep them in, but in general, i do not keep them because they do take up room.

if the box is special in some way, then i do keep it because it has something special. for example, my box when i got my Volks Yosd Dai, he came in a cute box that had his photo on the front. not that it makes it overally special, but in a sense it does since its not plain. the bigger boxes can sometimes hold 2 dolls (2 sd or so, or even 1 sd and 1 msd) then i will keep those as if i am moving or so, then its easy to pack them together to save on space too. when i moved, i did this for a few of my dolls.

I dont store my dolls in their boxes because i live in a basement, so the room doesnt get a lot of sunlight anyways, so i dont have to worry about them yellowing, and if they are in a box, i'll most likely forget about them.

i never thought of to see if people would want the box, though most of the ones i get rid of are plain, but shipping to and from canada is quite costly, so if i were to ship a box out... oh jeez... the person would be looking at potentially 50cad maybe (estimate) just to get it, or maybe a bit less... but i certainly wouldnt pay that for a box unless it was like super special/.. but even then, id rather spend that same money on clothes for them.