1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving the Hobby...SAY WHAT!?

Oct 29, 2009

1. It happens, I've left the hobby.

I came back of course, obviously. But I don't want very many dolls now.

Even when I left the hobby, with no intent to return, I still loved BJD. I just for a while had no interest in owning any myself.

Thankfully I was lazy and never got to selling them. I'm having fun re-painting and changing my old dolls around though. : )

2. I just barely gained access to the marketplace last week, and was shocked by the 'leaving the hobby, selling all my stuff' threads!

I've just barely bought my first doll, so my opinion may not be as meaningful. But my idea of 'leaving a hobby' and everyone elses' doesn't appear to be the same. For instance, I no longer by barbie dolls, however, I have never sold or given away any barbie I have ever owned. For the past...hrm...11 years or so I've carefully kept them in a tote and moved them from storage shed to storage shed until I finally bought my first house, now they still live in the tote, just in a room now.

I'm a pretty big packrat though, I have a hard time letting go of anything that has ever brought me good feelings.

As far as I'm concerned, if they want to leave the hobby and sell all thier stuff, that's sad for them, but maybe I can buy something really cool!

3. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      I Personally have never seen someone that I knew leave the hobby. However, I also don't really have friends here to see leave the hobby. Which is a little bit bad on my part, but I guess it keeps the drama of seeing them leave out of my life. As a person, I'm curious as to why people just up and leave one of their hobbies however, I'm not going to think of them badly or anything. Everyone has their own reasons for doing things.

Have you ever thought of leaving the hobby and why?
      I have thought about leaving this hobby a couple times. Even going as far as not being on DoA for months and having my guys sit somewhere for weeks. However, I think more of what I was needing was a break and not so much of never coming back. It's just difficult for me to hang around in hobbies because I so quickly move on to the next thing that captures my attention.

Have you ever sold all your dolls, left the hobby, then eventually made your way back into it and bought another doll?
      I have sold dolls before, but never because I was leaving. I have just sold them because their sculpts just didn't rub me the right way and I couldn't deal with that. However, I don't have a problem with people who do that if they feel it's right for them.

4. I'm one of these people who is leaving the hobby. For me, it is a combination of factors. I've been in it for four years now, I feel like I've kind of done everything there is to do. And although I am by no means in a financial hardspot, I just sort of woke up and realized I had an awful lot of money invested in it and that it would be really nice to free some of that up for something else. And, this is going to sound strange, but I just felt a bit crowded by them. Crowded by this small group of very expensive plastic toys sitting on the couch that constantly needed this-or-that, and which I had lost my interest in photographing and interacting with for the most part. Despite how much I really liked some of them. I've reached a point where I just find it all to be exhausting rather than inspiring. And lastly, the 'scene' just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. There is so much about the BJD community that makes me want to bash my head against the wall that I am extremely likely to give myself a concussion. So all these factors have come together to strongly suggest that the best course of action would simply be to leave. ;)

Do I still have any dolls? Yes. My husband and I will be keeping one each as a kind of 'souvenir' because nothing will ever actually stop these dolls from being quite cool toys. And they'll always be a reminder of Tokyo where we first saw Super Dollfies. <3 But even at that, I wasn't actually intending to keep a doll for myself at all. And then here at the end, of all times, I finally got the opportunity to own my 'dream doll' and I decided to take it. Grab the dream doll and GTFO!! I understand if I get a lot of flak for declaring my intent to leave and then buying a new doll. And I'll admit that I may or may not pop back in from time to time to post pics of the remaining two dolls to the gallery, I honestly haven't decided. It'll depend on how much I can be bothered. Maybe some wouldn't call that 'quitting' but it certainly is taking a massive step back. I won't associate myself with the hobby anymore, I won't list it among my interests, I won't be keeping up with the news, I won't be updating my BJD journal, I won't be going to any meet-ups unless my best friend drags me, etc etc etc.

But yes, after I have sold off all my remaining stuff, I will be leaving or retiring or whatever you want to call it. In the meantime my activity level is actually up a little bit because I check frequently for PMs and to idle away the time inbetween sales, I am making some last contributions to various picture requests and such. Is saying that I am leaving some kind of sales tactic? Yes and no. If it helps the stuff go faster so I can leave sooner, awesome. Will I turn around, having conveniently changed my mind with money earned from 'false advertising,' and plunge straight back into the hobby? No.

I hope this made sense, since so many people seem to be kind of interested in the reasoning. I apologize if my self-important explanation has bored anybody to death.

5. As time passes, people change. I've had hobbies in the past that I thought I'd be into forever which I've since left. Right now I'd like to think I'll be into BJDs forever, and if I am I'd be perfectly happy with that, but I know that it's entirely possible that I'll lose interest in them for any number of reasons, or that I'll keep my dolls but no longer participate in the community.

I know I've seen threads before where people are upset at the assumption that their interest in BJDs is just a "phase" but if people didn't go through (and leave) these phases, we'd never grow and mature. Can you imagine only wearing the same clothes and hairstyle, listening to the same music, reading the same books and magazines, watching the same TV shows and movies, collecting the same things... for your entire life?

6. While I haven't actually sold any of my dolls, I was out of the hobby for close to a year, due to a lack of funds and interest on my part and a few inter-personal issues between myself and other people in the hobby, but inevitably, I think no matter what happens I'll always make my way back.

Especially if I have a handsome doll to stumble across again someday and be quite enamoured with all over again. x3 That and I do have some very good friends who probably wouldn't let me forget anyhow.

But, that's just my take on things.

7. I, personally, have about a four year cycle of obsession with anything, so I expect in three years I'll be obsessing on something new. What puzzles me about it is having to announce you're leaving. Why not just leave? Cynically, I always think they're looking for sympathy posts and pleas to not leave...

8. Toshirodragon - I totally understand where you're coming from. On the one hand, it is a polite gesture to people who might've been fans or whatnot, but more often than not it just looks like crowing for attention, especially if a big deal is made of it after something particularly bad happens. :<

9. Well I'm naturally cynical but I'm sure a lot of it comes from cutting my "forum teeth" on another very large, very active forum, where the moderators finally had to start deleting such threads because in about 90% of the cases the poster was "talked" out of leaving by a well spring of "please don't go" responses...

Somehow it just leaves a sour taste in your mouthafter a bit...

10. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      Well, I have heard of one person leaving the hobby a few times...from what I heard it was due to financial reasons and life coming ahead of dolls. I totally understand that, and really, I have no qualms with anyone who wants to leave this hobby, whatever their reasoning. None of my business. ;)

No. Never. I keep thinking that someday I'll whittle my numbers down to maybe 10 that are my favorite and love the most but...that'll be years and years from now if ever. If I ever left this hobby, it would only involve me dropping out of the forums and social aspect of the hobby. Unless I needed money badly or stopped loving my dolls I wouldn't sell them.

Have you ever sold all your dolls, left the hobby, then eventually made your way back into it and bought another doll?
      No, but if for some odd reason I did leave, I know I'd be back soon enough. xD;;

11. I'm not at all surprised when people grow out of one thing and move onto something else. I think it's completely natural--and I also think it's natural for others to stick with a hobby or interest for pretty much their entire life. Neither is "right" or "wrong," anyway. :3 Some people might lose interest, others might experience financial hardships, etc. Everyone probably has a different reason.

That said, I haven't personally known (or noticed...) someone who has quit ball-jointed dolls, but I haven't been a part of it very long myself. I haven't thought about leaving, although I am currently in the process of selling my sole ball-jointed doll and thus will soon be doll-less. I still want to be a part of the hobby, but I need to re-evaluate my "doll needs." I honestly can't say that I know I will leave or never leave the hobby. I just can't predict myself that well~

12. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      No, not personally at least. I have seen a few people (on either dA or DoA) that have mentioned that they were leaving.

Nope. I couldn't imagine leaving either. It's not that I've invested so much in the hobby, that I've reached the point of no return, but the dolls I have, I have bonded fairly deeply with. I couldn't possibly dream of parting them.

As mentioned above, no.

13. I have seen a few people leave, and it does make me rather sad that I won't be seeing their dolls around anymore...one person on DA, and a couple members here (including you, Kurosakura!! D: ). Not that I know any of them personally, but they're people I remember their dolls by after seeing them in photos, and they all had dolls that were really beautiful/they took amazing pictures/etc.

I understand where these people are coming from, and that yes, this hobby and BJDs themselves sometimes take more effort to be involved in than it's worth for some people. However, my standing is that this hobby brings me far too much joy to ever not be a part of it ^^

So far, I only own one doll (and a floating head :sweat), so I suppose it's hard to say where my position will lie once I get or approach to getting all of the dolls I'm wishing for (which add up to around 20+...)...but as I see it now, I cannot even imagine developing a reason to just up and leave the hobby and sell all (or even most) of my dolls. The thought has never even crossed my mind @__@
      BJDs just give me too much joy to ever consider leaving them...Yes, the community and the way some people act and what they say sometimes turns me off, and yes, it does cost a lot of money, but I can't help but feel that it's more than worth it. As imaginative as I am (and as much of a fanboy I am to things I like XD), these dolls have proved themselves to be the perfect mediums of expression and self-contentment, and being able to personify characters in such an amazing and interactive way is just...amazing to me.

And besides, to me, this hobby isn't really the same to me as, say, collecting My Little Ponies, or Pinky St., or something of that sort. For me, an attachment with a BJD is just that: an attachment. I know it's not the same for a lot of people here, of course! But all of my dolls are characters, and if I ever sold my dolls with the intention of permanently leaving them behind, it'd be like I was depriving my beloved character of their best chance at a fully realized and tangible avatar forever...;___;

14. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think? Not personally, but I've seen a few people go in the time I've been in the hobby. Mostly people seem to leave out of financial reasons or boredom. I think that it's like many other hobbies - interest wanes after time, especially if no other hobbies sort of connect to it, like photography/writing.

Have you ever thought of leaving the hobby and why? I haven't been into BJDs for a long time, but I got in very deep very quickly, which worries me. I tend to jump from one obsession to another - I pick up on someone else's enthusiasm and just run with it. So yeah, I've thought about selling the dolls - mostly when I'm in bad mood and have no money to spend on buying clothes/wigs for them and it seems such an effort to keep up with the doll universe. I've had the same feelings as someone who posted before me, like my dolls really aren't good enough to showcase, whether it be on the forum or in person.

I haven't, yet. I hope I always feel as happy with my dolls in ten years as I do right now.

15. I personally, wouldn't be surprised if a year from now I wasn't as heavy and excited about it anymore. I'm getting a few gorgeous dolls to turn into beloved characters to keep forever, and I might eventually run out of things to do. But that's no big deal to me.

My room is full of art, toys, and figurines made up of Dragons and Wizards, becuase finding a new piece was something I really enjoyed, the whole thing of randomly finding a piece and adding to the collection. I've been collecting stuff like this since I was 14, I'm 21 now, and more or less bored with it.

I gave away a huge chunk of the collection last Christmas to a coworker who's daughter loves fantasy and kept all the pieces that were either gifts or simply my favorites. That's still almost 60 pieces, and I'm really considering thinning the hoard out again since I really have little space for anything else and my tastes have changed. :sweat

I can completely relate to people growing out of it, or finding something else that they can do to bringselves joy, and that's just how it is. We all have phases and we are often introduced to new things that affect our interests. KuroSakura feels like she's sort of run out of things to do, so is moving on. Makes perfect sense to me.

16. i don't know anyone, but i can understand, this is not a cheap hobby. it takes a lot of time and money, lots of money. i don't think i could go cold turkey on BJD. not even if i could get all the moeny i put in it back; i just couldn't do it. i like my dolls, but i've always like dolls sense i was a little girl.

17. ** I agree its a bit of a strong statement and very eye catching Leaving the hobby selling everything! course more moving for someone with a large doll family and thats been on the board for years. I take it less seriously from people that say this after only a year or so in the hobby.

Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      Yes one person comes to mind I am sure there are allot more but I don't follow individuals that much. I have been into this crazy hobby since 2002 I think it is feels like allot longer than that....
      I was suprised when this person left but I could see the person found a new hobby that was expensive and emotionally fullfilling so I totally understood!

I would say no though there have been times the passion died down allot this is normally because of some kind of large disappointment such as when I got = to 2,000 stolen (long story) but I never got that back and allot of drama around that one it made me feel really frustrated that took me away from the board and the whole thought of dolls for about 4 months. Then another time buying from someone on here and lost about 200.00 as well as dolls arriving that never lived up to my active imagination so I was disappointed in them or they posed very badly or looked vasting different than promo pics (I learned now to wait to see Real Life pics where ever possible!!!). Doll heads hangin out with doll artist for 5 months at one time! lots of things in all these years. BUT each time I took a break as it felt bitter to me to think of dolls and draining. After a bit though it washed away and I came back renewed and able to just see it as small and unimportant in the large picture which is my love for the dolls I do love! and do have. So the answer is NO! but with lots of breaks!
      The other thing that I take breaks for is my creative writing and art which requires creative energy that I normally put into my dolls.

No I haven't done that but I have sold all my dolls and then bought more. I don't count this as a get out of the hobby though it was more a I don't want SD dolls. I did restart again very fast as I found hypermaniacs and made that my dream collection. This was in the days when there was only early volks dolls! I just needed more variety to tempt me!! Its been wonderful so far and SO much eye candy I can't see myself leaving this hobby ever. I have always loved dolls siince I was a little kid its highly unlikely I would totally leave though I might at some point cut back my large doll family to say 5 dolls though that would be very hard!!! and of course not include my tinies :)

----------------------------------

I don't think getting married will make any difference to you loving these dolls!! :pcupcake

18. Kurosaka, what you wrote makes a lot of sense. I can understand that, as I've had other hobbies I'd invested a lot and later lost the initial interest I had.

I don't plan on getting rid of my dolls, as I've always been interested in dolls, and bjd are just another part of that. I collect them for me, myself, and would still collect them even if DOA didn't exist, since I've been interested in them long before I even knew about this forum, or ever posted here. I can see my taste in bjd might change over the years, and perhaps I'll decide to downsize or replace dolls, but they are just the kind of doll, in regards to realism and posing, that I've wanted since I started playing with dolls as a child.

I am pretty curious why other people decide to 'leave the hobby' because I like to know how other people relate to dolls.

19. I have collected blythe exclusively up until now ( have just bought a pukipuki ) and am in love with her... I was losing my interest in blythe i must admit and wondered if one day i would totally lost interest ... but i dont think i could part with many of them..i think i would rather pack them away in boxes rather than actually relinquish them altogether,

20. I don't know anyone who left the hobby, but when I see sale topics with the "leaving the hobby" notice, I am always really surprised that people can just ive up their whole collection.

I don't think I'll ever leave the hobby and sell all my dolls and such.
      When I was younger, I have also been collecing things that I am not interested into anymore. But I have never sold anything.

And dolls are to me more than just objects. They carry so much of my energy into them, I just can never sell them.
      I can imagine myself that after an x-amount of years that I have lost interested in doll forums and photography and maybe even buying new dolls, but I would always keep those who I already own.