1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving the Hobby...SAY WHAT!?

Oct 29, 2009

1. I am really new... I received my first baby doll in Feb 2009! :)

And I am the first among my friends who owns a BJD, so personally I know no one who has left the hobby... :sweat Although for all of us here, owning BJDs mean saving for months and months...

But it can happen... Maybe in a year or two from now, I will be bored of this hobby or can't afford it anymore... :( But I don't think I'll ever be able to sell my beloved babies. There are some that I will sell because they don't get enough attention from me anymore~ But my beloved ones will stay... :D And because they're staying... I'll always need more stuffs for them... and more news!! :lol: Therefore, I don't think I will ever "leave" completely... Maybe reducing my dolly activities is more like it, than leaving permanently. :)

As for "leaving the hobby" threads... say, I think it's really unnecessary. :| If you're selling then say FS. Why do you have to add "leaving the hobby"...? It's really unnecessary. But it's just my opinion~!

2. It makes me sad to see this at times too, but we all have so called "real lives" to live, and sometimes we just have to move on from a hobby that is no longer right for us, or that we can no longer support. I do see the leaving the hobby threads, and while I find giving any reason or justification for a sale is unnecessary, well at times it can help a person to put in a leaving the hobby comment. A lot of us here have dolls that are recognizable, or props that people may remember, so basically saying "leaving the hobby" is a fast way of letting people know "hey my whole collection is up for grabs!" that gives you a better chance of making sales, even for things you have not advertised or did not think to sell.

I suppose I had better answer the questions though, so:

Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      No but I did see a friend drift away from it, put her doll in a closet and ignore it for god knows how long. In the end BJD were more of a fad for her, not a part of her life, and she moved on to her next hobby, which was a styletribe issue. At least she is having fun, shame about her doll left in its box in the closet though.

Have you ever thought of leaving the hobby and why?
      No, I have never contemplated leaving the hobby, I love my dolls too much, however I have gone awol on the forums before, because of a combination of ill health and I got sick of a lot of the negativity and nastiness that was happening at the time.

Have you ever sold all your dolls, left the hobby, then eventually made your way back into it and bought another doll?
      Nope, never and very unlikely to. Right now I am reshelling a few characters, and until their new forms come I am going to be anxious as hell anyway, let alone getting rid of them for good

3. I've seen people do it and I've always wondered...their MP posts seem to be upsetting and distant.

I considered it a few times...once because something went sour with the people who got me into BJDs and then later b/c of finaces but I am reaffirmed that I wouldn't leave the hobby once I realized that I have dolls for ME and not anyone else.

4. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      Not here but in the blythe world yes. I think everyone is different and that many people lose interest in some things and get interested in others. What's funny is that many blythe-people defected here to DOA and I laughed to find them here when I thought they were gone forever! I almost left the blythe hobby as well because I really don't care for some of the drama it seems to attract..plus with blythe, it is one type of doll and after a certain point you start repeating yourself and the releases start to become similar. For me I have what I want with blythes so I don't see getting too many more. I only have two BJDs at the moment and am trying to sell one to bring another home.

No. I haven't been into BJDs that long yet. I have thought about leaving the blythe community as explained above. I do take breaks though, on the forums and on flickr but then a photostory pops into my head and I'm back to taking photos or a new realease will come out that I want to see pictures of so I head back here...:)

Have you ever sold all your dolls, left the hobby, then eventually made your way back into it and sold another doll?
      I fantasize about selling my blythes a lot and can't seem to quite do it. I'm down to 11 though which isn't many. I can't ever see parting with my Hound unless it was some dire emergency like a pet operation....(knocks on wood that that never has to happen). I don't seem to have the need to have many BJDs..I'm already selling one to fund another Dollshe boy. I like my BJD family small so I can afford to spoil them more...:) Mainly it's all the 'extras' that keep me from buying more; it's not just the doll you're getting, they need stuff as well, their clothes, wigs, eyes and things add up quickly! At least with two Dollshes they'll be able to share everything across the board.

5. I have a hard enough time picturing myself selling any one of the girls I have bonded to. I flirted with the idea of selling one girl for a few weeks and that feeling vanished when I held her in my arms after having left her alone in that time. I apologized! So I will probably never sell them. (Selling unbonded girls is fair game though.)

It would be way easier for me to part with my media, games, photo equipment, TV and computers than my girls. All those things I consider more valuable, replaceable and liquid anyway, which would be important factors if I had sudden financial difficulty. I would sell their doll clothing and wigs--anything to protect the dolls themselves!

Who would want to buy such dolls outside of DoA? I would get a horrible price for them in any quick sale anyway. So my girls are on the short list of things I keep at the expense of everything else.

This may be a problem as their population keeps going up... :sweat

6. Yah it makes me sad when I see some people leave too, but everyone's got their reasons...

Yes, one of my first very good doll friends. She was a photography major and she was selling her dolls off in exchange for new equipment. I don't know if there was something else behind it or not, though soon after she did get another doll but was very settled that it would just be the one and no more. Haven't heard from her in a while though, but she had about 10 dolls or so, at the time it was a lot for one person in our area (lol now several of us dwarf that number after 3 years time) so it was just a real surprise when she turned around and was just selling everybody.

The hobby no, the community on the other hand I've had my ups and downs with. I think people would see me disappear from doa lj and anything doll related on line before I'd ever think of leaving the hobby and in all honestly I don't believe I ever could. I just really can't imagine myself NOT having a doll. Can't even imagine my husband NOT having a doll.

Have you ever sold all your dolls, left the hobby, then eventually made your way back into it and bought another doll?
      nope obviously not and never planning to.

7. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?

I've seen members here and there announce their intentions of leaving, and I admit it makes me feel a little sad that someone has fallen out of something they loved. I've also seen people reneg on that after making a big deal about their plans to go, which is just awkward.

No. My partner and I have a lot more dolls than I thought we would, and so a lot of the time I'm a little fixated on trying to find ways to downsize (which I fail at), but at the core of the collection are a handful of dolls that I'm far too in love with to let go. Maybe they'll lose a good chunk of their resin friends, I'll stop buying extras for them and posting pictures on the interweb, but they have a lot of sentimental value and I'd hate to let them go.

Nope.

8. I think that after a while in this hobby, it loses it's magic somewhat =/. Like, a box opening at first is so exciting, but when you've done as many as I have, it's just inspecting the thing for damage then putting it away until you get the chance to customise it. Suddenly the outcome seems further away.

Personally, with this, when before I recignised a new doll arrival as 'my doll is here, yay', it's now 'I have a piece of that doll I need to put together, now I need to send this piece away for painting, this piece needs sanding, this piece needs this and I need x wig and x eyes. Can't wait till THAT happens'. I so badly wish I had that magic back. Now the biggest thrill is seeing the company photos on release. Getting my own is really not as exciting, which is sad.

I've known only one personally, and to be honest, not that well. But to read about it was definately a shock moment. She had a hell of a lot invested in the hobby and had some really hard to come by dolls that it takes great perseverance to get a hold of. I suppose it was a shock too because last time I saw her, she was so deeply into it and very knowledgable about it too.

I also know someone quite well who I think is parcially leaving, but I don't think she would completely leave as she still admires them and seems to enjoy painting them and such. This has been something she had just slowly edged toward and if she realy does leave it more thoroughly, I can sort of understand it and I don't think I'll be as shocked.

A few times. The first was just due to a bad first dolls experience, company not treating me great, didn't like the boxy old style DoC body shape, melted make-up etc. but I had a whole year where I just kind of lost interest. Another time, I just looked at what I had and thought 'wow, these are uncreative, default and expensive. I need this money for other things'. I couldn't do it.

Right now actually, I'm considering selling most of my dolls and leaving the hobby alone for a little while. Not leaving, keeping those dolls I can't replace and just storing them and not logging onto the forums for a while. I just think I need to rekindle the money I am sending out each month without a lot of thought for these dolls, and step back. I mean, when I see a new Dollheart preorder and am so upset I can't get in on it to the point of depression, it becomes apparent that this hobby had turned into an obssession and I need to leave it for a while and soon.

I have practically left then decided not too, and yes, this is usually because the next doll works out better or because I decide to get the dolls I am losing interest in FINALLY fixed up and it's magic to me again.

9. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      I know someone who has left the hobby for the most part but kept their dolls. I think if that is what they feel then it isn't my business though I do miss seeing their dolls. :(

More than once. Mostly because I grow bored with the fandom aspect.

In a way yes. I finished the story I was writing that the dolls were characters of. After that I sold them all. I didn't 'leave' but did get a whole new round of dolls/characters to play with. ^__^

10. Like others have already said here, entering and leaving hobbies is a part of life and growth -- life circumstances change, you get older, your world-views and priorities change. Hey, I got into this BJD hobby because my life situation dramatically changed, and as a result my social life shrunk, and I dropped a number of other hobbies. All that freed up some time, money and attention -- so I started noticing BJDs. :)

BJDs may involve much more financial and emotional investments, but apart from that they really are like any other hobbies. They actually encompass many other avenues of creativity that I'm already engaged in -- drawing, photography, writing, roleplaying, world-building. BJDs are just another channel for those creative undertakings.

So on my part, I don't think I'll ever leave the hobby entirely, though I'm sure I'd put my dolls away and go on breaks every so often, and when my life situation changes again (it will, I don't plan to stay in graduate school forever :sweat) I'm sure they will fade in and out of my focus. In fact, that's happening with a number of other hobbies -- now that I'm active in BJDs, I'm doing a lot less artwork and reading. It doesn't mean I've left those hobbies at all! They're just on extended leave. And no doubt BJDs will be the same.

11. Oh Dios Mio! If I chose to leave the hobby I would spend at least 6 months selling my stuff. I dont think that can happen. I know someone who exited the hobby as well as the earth; sad long story. I ended up with quite a few of her dollies. People come and go a lot. It does slow down at some point. ~Gus

12. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      No, not personally but I've seen a lot of well-known and talented people leaving the hobby.

Yes, quite often actually. Mostly because sometimes I don't have the kind of money I need to support this hobby and all its creative expenses. And at times the whole obsession goes over my head and I end up feeling very burnt out with all the 'must-haves' and financial grappling I have to deal with afterwards.
      But for me not to truly leave the hobby I will have to have some kind of creative outlet that I can support this hobby on financially.. which might not happen anytime soon as that takes up a lot of money too. >_>

Nope, not yet but I could see it happening.

13. Have you ever known someone to leave the hobby and what did you think?

Personally, NO. I do however get sad when I read of other members who must sell their dolls due to financial hardships! :...(

I can truthfully say the thought has never crossed my mind once. I love all my dolls, this hobby and the wonderful people I have had the pleasure of meeting through them. :fangirl:

I do not foresee this ever happening to me (but one can never say "NEVER". :lol:

14. I've seen quite a few people 'leave the hobby,' as well as some that just sort of stopped posting/being active in the community without actually selling off their collections. No one I really knew personally, but some whose dollie careers, so to speak, that I've followed over the years. I can see where having a large collection and being very active could lead to burn-out in a hobby like this, where it can encompass a large part of a person's creative life. Sometimes I wonder if the current 'Soom Boom' is going to end in a lot of people burning out and selling off their collections. :lol:

As for me, there are some hobbies that I cycle through regulary, dropping them for a few months or even a year before coming back; but there are a few (anime, my group's long-running rp, etc.) that I've stuck with for over ten years, so I'm not too worried. I go through periods where I'm not as interested in playing with the crew every day, but they never fail to bring me at least a little bit of pleasure. It helps that my fiancée is active in it with me now, too. :) It definitely renewed the honeymoon period for me and this hobby when she got her first doll.

Even if my interest in it were to simmer down somewhat, I doubt I would ever sell off my collection. I'm an attached dollie owner, and a lot of our dolls would be difficult, if not impossible, to buy again if we were to sell them. (These darn Soom dolls, for one thing.) Most likely I'd just store them safely somewhere and stop coming on the forum/checking the news and such until I felt interested again.

15. Well I can't say I'm gonna answer all these questions but in general...I don't think someone can really -leave- a hobby...if you still look at doll pictures then your in the hobby as far as I'm concerned...your just no longer a collector. I wouldn't call someone that still visits a museum but not collect art anymore someone that left the hobby. That seems to be the case most of the time I think.

16. Whilst I've never personally known someone who's done this, I have seen a lot of people with extensive collections just walk away and it's usually down to the pressures of money and life combined with a desire to get away from the ridiculous fandom, all of which I can understand. Sometimes, other things get in the way, interests shift and it's really just natural that people feel the time is right to move on.

Personally, I can't see me ever giving up my collection and leaving the HOBBY, leaving the community, ABSOLUTELY. I've grown steadily further and further from it over the years to the point now where I wouldn't dream of posting photographs in the galleries here anymore, despite my crew's regular old slot in the photostories section, I no longer attend meet ups and it's rare I post here. I just have zero wish to be around other people in this hobby anymore after way too many bad experiences, so yes, I can totally understand why people just have had enough sometimes but I, like many others who've been in the hobby a long time, have reached a point where we're just content having our dolls for ourselves I think.

17. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?
      It's fairly common to see people saying that they're leaving the hobby, because as with anything else in life, sometimes people just wake up and move on. The excitement dies down and at the end of it all, you've been left with something you've spent a lot of money on and it's just sitting there.

Now whether it's a good ploy for selling, I don't know. I've seen some who said that they were leaving ( sometimes on more than one occasion ) and yet are still active today, so it depends on the situation. It's also easy for someone to say one thing one day and do something completely different the next.

Personally, I do know someone that is leaving the hobby, but I'm not really surprised by that at all. She's always been the type to move from "obsession" to "obsession" and quite honestly, I'm surprised she lasted in this one as long as she did.​

No, not really. But it wouldn't matter if I did. I don't really have any impact on the hobby as a whole. I don't delve into the community and immerse myself as others do. Such as with sharing photographs or photostories. Mostly because I fail with a camera and don't want to misrepresent my crew with crappy photography. There are some people who have more impact in this hobby and have a following, so it would be a big deal for them to up and leave the hobby. But for me, it's different. This hobby expects nothing of me.

To me, this hobby is a way of bringing my beloved characters to life since I am not able to draw. Sure it costs a bit of money, but I'm smart enough not to spend what I don't have.​

Again, no. But I have sold dolls because my vision for them changed. If I know that something is not working out the way I planned, I'm not just going to let it sit there in a corner forever. I usually bounce back and forth with myself a lot before deciding to actually put something up for sale. And sometimes, I do admit that I'll regret it when I'm done. But nothing that I've sold can't be easily bought again, so I don't mind that much.​

18. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think?

Yes, I know two people who have moved on to other interests. I miss them, but they know what is best for them and I respect that.

Nope, I'm having too much fun to leave. I would only leave if I became totally enchanted with something else that is as much fun as this.

I've sold dolls in times of dire necessity to fund a real life crisis, and I've sold dolls that I realized were a kind of mistake on my part, but I will never sell my favorites, even if I only look at them.

19. Sure, I've seen lots of people leaving the hobby and the doll community online. Even though I still visits the sites I left a hobby too once (non-doll hobby though). I kept all my figures, but I'm not actively involved in it anymore.

I could see me "leaving" the internet world and keep my doll hobby on just a real life basis, actually. As of now I don't see me selling my dolls, but who knows? Life changes, interest changes, economy changes... It's alot of factors that make my doll hobby possible and if even one of those factors would change who knows what will happen with my hobby?

I have never left any hobby which includes selling all the stuff that makes up that hobby. If I were to sell my dolls it really needed to be because I had absolutely no interest in them anymore. It would be incredibly sad to join the hobby again knowing that I sold all my original dollies. It wouldn't be the same... Actually, just selling all my dolls might be the one thing that would make me leave this community and never come back :( I love my dolls so much that if I ever where to sell them (all of them) it had to be because I lost all interest without a shred of hope to get it back again.

20. Have you ever known someone who left the hobby and what did you think? I did she just couldn't afford it and I totally understood as this is an expensive hobby.

Have you ever thought of leaving the hobby and why? Yes, but I am so glad I didn't as I learned what I do like and if I can stick with the companies I trust I am fine.

Have you ever sold all your dolls, left the hobby, then eventually made your way back into it and bought another doll? No and hope I never do.