1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Limhwa ToYou discussion part 1

Apr 17, 2006

1. not my first resin doll, but my first attempt at a face-up for one. don't know about others ;)

that stuff is a life-saver! i've done face-ups on several pullips and blythe (off-topic, sorry :() and it really made a difference for the better to have MSC. i tried my first before it arrived because i was impatient, and learned my lesson ;)

2. And BTW - it's chemicals are toxic and it's probably quite flammable. You are supposed to wear a good respirator mask and eye protection when using it, and use it outside away from sparks or flames. Obviously you want a day when the air is calm, and I have heard it works better in lower humidity.

Carolyn

3. Oh, you'll probably want to unstring your girl before you spray with MSC (or Testors or whatever alternative you choose). You don't absolutely have to but it'll go on unevenly around the joints and that'll increase the wear and tear on the coating when you play with her. (Wear & tear = chipping = redo coating.)

4. I really went overboard on clothes and wigs for ToYou. And I bought many of the clothes before I did the mock comparison shots and researched comparison measurements, so many things might not even fit. But if they are too big I may be able to sell them to a Uyoo or Metel owner in the Market thread.

Carolyn

5. We are customizing our own ToYou.

Someone just gave us a great suggestion... the Optivisor ..
      http://secure.transtronics.com/Optivisor.html

We're getting one with a light! Our ToYou will have lovely eyebrows now since we can see them better.

I wonder as well if sanding them will be nicer using an Optivisor. The ToYou's are not sanded and will need some sanding to smooth their seams and body. I wonder what resin looks like under an Optivisor. This will be cool.

6. Which power Optivisor did you order? Looks like a great solution for my old eyes.

7. Yes, there is a set of old eyes here, too... Don't feel bad about it Deb.

We were recommended to try the 5 or 6. If you notice, a lot depends on how far away you hold the item to be seen. For instance, 6 or 8 inches away...
      You wouldn't want to paint only 4 inches from your face, if that makes sense...

Check out this site which has comparisons of how the magnification looks
      http://www.rockpeddler.com/pg32.htm

Watch out for cheap imitations of these. We are going to order the 7 unit, and will be ordering some extra stuff such as the loupe and the light. Lighting makes a big difference whether you can see stuff well. :roll:

It's a little scary thinking how geeky this contraption will make us look.:ablink: No photos, please. But we hope it will help us paint our little girl nicely.

8. Limhwa -

What clothes have you found that fit ToYou? I think she is too small for most Barbie clothes.

And any ideas for shoes?

Carolyn

9. Ignore this post - stupid double post from forum lag. I thought maybe I didn't click all the way to post the first one but it was just lag making it seem that way.

10. Argh, I'm having such a hard time picking out an outfit. I want to get her one nice outfit that I'll definitely like. But I'm having a hard time finding stuff I don't hate. And I'm not even worrying about shoes yet! Lots of the Jenny stuff is way too pink and has words all over it. *scowl* I like some of the Dollfie Plus clothing but it's hard to figure out what it would actually look like. I think I'm better at shopping for some things in person.

I guess I'm still figuring out her personality. Which is somewhat conflicting in my mind. It's almost like there are two people there. One that wears old fashioned fantasy style dresses, capes and all that. And the other that wears more modern clothes. *sigh*

11. Lol! I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing today. I was actually trying to make up fictional explanations for that in my head.

I know what you mean about alot of the Jenny clothes with the pink and the writing - sometimes Jenny written on them. I worry about the fit too because sometimes Jenny clothes are sold as for Jenny or Barbie. I bought a couple of Tiny Kitty things, some My Scene or Fashion Fever separates I will probably have to take in (just some capris and stretch tops), a couple of custom dresses for Momoko I lucked into (the maker was just selling those two), and a Barbie Galadriel whose dress she will probably swim in. Oh and some nighties she will probably swim in too. Still looking for a good chair with arms. I like to have a stable chair to sit a doll in when I take them somewhere or work on them.

Carolyn

12. Are you finding your stuff on Ebay? I always find one thing on Ebay that might be ok. But then gah the shipping! I wish I could find 2 things from the same person. Then it might work out better. *scowl*

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fashion-4-Jenny...5675095962QQcategoryZ2423QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
      That sorta looks like a Cinderella before the transformation outfit. But I think the top would be baggy and it might look awful. *laugh*

I'm going to have to make her some clothes. This much is becoming very obvious. One of the things that I like the most about BJDs is all the neat clothing. But it seems like there won't be as much neat stuff for her(Anna?) until I make it.

I think I'm going to order some stuff from volksusa because I'll probably get her wig and eyes from there. How do we keep the eyes in her head? sculpy?

Oh my this is bringing out my OCD. I should go back to working on my thesis.

13. You want an explanation for that--she is in the SCA, she goes to conventions, she attends 'Ren Faires' [sic], she cosplays &/or costumes (same really).

No problem.

Ann in CT
      who has worn costumes to each of those venues

14. Or... She's a beautiful princess or fairy who stumbles finds a mysterious object that can transport her in time.

Or she's a time soldier who in her normal modern life is undercover as the sexy normal young woman she appears to be, but she can be called up at any time to intercede in the past.

Or she's two different dolls even though you only have one. They never appear together because they live in vastly different realms.

15. Hmm my explanations are more mundane. Like she's lived forever and is ageless. Sorta like Morgaine in MZB's Mist of Avalon. She slipped out from the veil. I guess I don't really need logical explanations. I have enough logic due to my work.

16. Your explanation is very nice - I like it. Much less contrived.

17. DoA member Cenarius did some preliminary ToYou head measurements:

Head circumference: 9.7cm = 3.82 inches (Limhwa says 3.7 inches)

Over head ear to ear: 6.1cm = 2.4 inches

Hairline to far back of head at neck: 6.7cm = 2.64 inches

Based on these measurements sewaddictd thinks her fur wigs for Cumi might fit ToYou, though they may need slight adjustments.

Carolyn