1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Limiting the BJD Addiction

Oct 28, 2004

1. I can't resist at all! I put my one and only grail doll on Layaway, and then went and bought him a LE girlfriend. I'm not going to have a nest egg left when I graduate if I don't stop this! Lol- I tried, and usually I limit myself fairly well, but this time it was personal. Both were LE sculpts, the girl came in two versions and one was already sold out! My darling boy had been sold out for nearly 2 years, and he was only produced as an LE16 anyway. I had to do it! So now that I've spent a round 1200 on dolls this semester, NO MORE DOLLS until I have at least three jobs. 0.o;;

The trouble is, BJDs are demanding. They want eyes, wigs, clothes, a new presser foot so that they can have special fancy-pants embroidery on their clothes, friends, furniture, food, toys, scenery, and a bunch of things neither they nor I actually need. It's simply maddening!! I can't stop myself from stalking ebay for American Girl stuff which would just so happen to be perfectly sized for SDs, reminiscent of the best parts of my childhood, and readily available for more money than any toy should be worth. =_=

2. Some way I have always tried to limit my quantity of BJD to be able to handle them. My first plan was having only one, but even before her arrival I swapped that idea for getting a whole pirates crew. That was my magical number, but then I fell for and also bought a couple of supporting characters I really wanted and that I found in two other BJD. That was all until new members joined the crew. It meant getting another BJD. I like having a limit because of the cost, care and space they take, but still today I am on the tightrope. Since the moment I had in mind my resin pirates my real limit about how many more I should own only depends on One Piece manga and anime series story line.

3. I refuse to put one on a card. i've just started paying some cc debt off and I'm not going to erase that. Cash, oth, as been a challenge. I got hold of some extar cashw hci is how I got Barron paid in full. But since I don't have doll fund yet, I can only handle one doll on layaway at a time, and then only if the payments are a certain amount. So right now, Logan's on deck till April. After that there may have to be a resin TX Death Match in a cage for who gets on layaway next. The current combatants: SoulDoll's Morse and Lester. Ringdoll's grown doll may be added if the sculpt in resin is as hot n' temptin' as it is in clay, and if body cost is more than I can swing during the Xmas Event.

4. For now, I only intend to get one doll. Because my reason for getting her is to make her clothes (by hand because I am, in some ways, a technophobe), I intend (:lol:) to limit it to just her until I can build her up a reasonable sized wardrobe. I may, at some, buy her brother, who will similarly need a complete closet of hand-made garments. If I actually manage to satisfy their clothing demands, I may buy, and if gets to that point I probably won't be able to limit myself.

5. Well, I'm pretty much addicted, but I can control myself in the sense that I usually buy ony during the summer. I might make an exception if I see some new Luts Untold Story doll, since those are time-limited, but other than that...

Now, During the summer I go and spend all of my dollie money at once, as this past summer's list proves :D Then I spend the rest of the year saving a bit, and without a cent to spare...

6. Before you charge always ask yourself "what will this do to my minimum payment?" Because if you can't afford to pay more than the minimum you will never get the card paid off. That's kept me out of trouble in the past.

7. Space, I had bought one for 16/18 months now.
      I cleared my room, got rid of a lot of stuff(surprising how much stuff I fit in here). My doll shelf made an opening out of now where. Now, I got a boy on layway.
      I'm thinking of getting another book case which may lead to a whole shelf becoming free above my dolls and then, I think my dolls will be growing again. I had been good to.

8. Ehm, money. I have no credit card to buy them with so I cannot grab up any more without having the money in my paypal account :p Oh the volks LEs and hard-to-find dollshe boys I'll not get a chance to own for much time to come...!

9. I can't afford to buy all of the ones I want. That's why I only have 2, right now. I keep busy with sewing, sculpting and painting for them and my smaller dolls so that I'm not constantly dwelling on what I'm 'missing out on'. I'm appreciating what I have, instead.

10. Money is the big thing for me. I am young, 16, and only get a 40$ allowence that is supposed to cover everything every month. (but I have all my intrests online anyway)

And that my other BJDs need clothing rather than another doll.
      But now I actually feel rather satisfied with my dollies. But I just want a pukipuki because I want to do make her a house from a old dollhouse I have.
      So, I will save up to here and then I will write a contract or something, chopping my fingers of if I buy another doll in two years.

11. Yep. I've only got my one, and I need to learn so much for her, re: knitting, learning to sew, learning to photograph her well, etc., that I seriously can't see getting another doll any time soon*. I may look at other dolls, and may even whine about some of the cooler ones, but I really am satisfied with my choice. I want to take time to get to know her; she is, after all, my ambassador to the world of bjds. (Plus, she is well-stocked with wigs, and is enough of a chameleon that I don't think I'll be bored with her.)

So ... spend time with the beautiful things already in your possession. They certainly are worthy of it.

(Now if I can apply this advice to my yarn addiction ...)

Azha Nei wrote: I refuse to put one on a card. i've just started paying some cc debt off and I'm not going to erase that.

Dear heavens, yes. I spent my 20's and 30's in debt. I think a half-dozen bank executives were living off all the interest I paid. Never again! These days, I pay off my full balance every month, and so am very careful with my spending.

*though, this very morning, mr. polyhymnia very rashly said that I could have a new doll every year for Christmas, if I didn't want anything else.

12. I don't have my BJD yet. I have watched a few people getting their first BJD on youtube. Within the next
      few videos they put up, they always say how they ordered their next one or are planning on it. x_X
      Whaaat! They barely had their first doll a month before getting another. I really want to enjoy the one
      I will be ordering first before even thinking about getting a new one. I will not be getting a new one
      for a long time after my first.

To each their own I guess. =P

13. I had too many BJDs for the longest time (7) and didn't really care about any of them. So I sold each and everyone with the intention to only have 2 dolls I care about quite a bit. I chose 2 of my favourite types of dolls to have and will only get similar dolls from now on and only if I have the money saved and each doll is sufficiently dressed. (I haven't added to my debt in 2 yrs though and will be debt free in 5...exception being student debt and a plan to buy a house)

14. I have fallen in love with two dolls that I am dying to get, but I know I don't really have the funds available. I'm in college and only working a part time job so the money I have just pays for my bills and food with a little money leftover. I have money in my bank that would more than cover two full dolls but it's insurance money I got for an accident I was in and I couldn't in good conscience pull money out of that for a doll knowing I might need a car soon. I already pulled some money out of it for a dslr and am working on building back up to where I was before that. However, I just saw a Migidoll Miho head for $110+shipping and it's taking all of my willpower to not purchase it. >.< finding it sooo hard to resist.