1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Limiting the BJD Addiction

Oct 28, 2004

1. Mine sit too... I have lots of chairs, in fact too many, LOL!

2. *smile* That's a brilliant question! I wonder, though, to what extent it has to do with the community, as well. We have so many people who actively play with their dolls every day and post the beautiful results on the web constantly, whereas (I think) some of those other dolls are more accepted as "collection and display" pieces--at least for their adult collectors. Is that about price, or about community?

At any rate, to answer the original question, I don't think making lists is bad. Just keep your expectations realistic and try to understand why and how much you really want each doll. That way, you can maximize your budget AND your happiness level at the same time. :D

Rae

3. I think it is about your personal comfort level - if you are uneasy about the level of attention or the number of things you can lavish your dolls with, or if you are starting to have financial worries due to doll overspending, chances are that you have acquired too many. Or at least that you ought to slow down a bit! :wink:

If you are happy with the situation and your thoughts of your dolls are filled with joy, then you are probably at a suitable level.

Don't pay too much attention to what other people say. It isn't their life, after all. Pay attention to your own heart! :chibi

4. Thanks so much for your feedback everyone, I was glad to hear it.

Dezarii> I was really struck by what you said, and I think that definitely has a lot to do with it. It's true; I do enjoy going through them all and having a process of elimination to determine which I feel the best about^^ I think this applies the most to Tsukasa, because as much as I like him and would love to have him, I am ok with not having him because I realize that other dolls can be just as beautiful in their own way. So, I do keep an eye out for him, and if I get him it will be cool, but if I don't I realize that there are others I would love just as much(who aren't such a punch in the paycheck to get either >>; )
      I think honestly, the ones I feel strongest about are actually the GIRLS, even though I percieve more boys in my bjd family. I'm not honestly attracted to many of the girls enought to buy them. I have seen Lishes and Unoas that really stike me as "ohhh, so amazing!!", but I don't actually see me getting one myself. There are only three girls I'm seriously interested in- Anais II, Dark Elf Soo and Kun. Nono and Aya have been two other SDs I was really interested in in the past. I honestly realize that I do not have to get them all to feel good about the doll family I've accomplished.
      I have this cute little dream about finally having my favourite ones, and I buy them all kimonos and we go out on a sunny day to have a doll's picnic near the river with my best friend who plays the bamboo flute. He's so cool because he doesn't mind my dolls at all(even though he was apposed to me getting Elfdoll Catsy-hahahah), and he doesn't mind listening to me go on and on about the certain ones I'm crazed about^^ He thinks Catsy looks like a doll made from recycled McDonald's toys T____T;;;; I think she is adorable though!! *Catsy fanboy*

Anyway, I think I will try to settle it a little bit and not be so crazed about every new thing that comes up on the internet, and if I feel I've gotten too many at some point, I will know what to do^^ *sell one and buy a computer*
      hahahahahahah, just kidding just kidding

Thanks a lot for responding everyone. I'm gonna read over everyone's replies a few more times to let everything sink in and then I'll reflect some more upon it all.

5. Well, it seems like everyone has helped you and you've come to a conclusion already. But yes, I know how you feel. I have my 'if I won tatslotto' list and some days I ache for all them just as much as I do for Alistair (Chiwoo, the first one I want), but on others I think to myself I could be content with just him. I suspect, one day, I will try and get him a friend, but for now my quest is just to get him! And I shall be thrilled when that day comes.
      Good luck with your list!

6. I saw a programme on TV last night which made me think of you and this thread. There was a woman who collected custom hotrod cars, and had about fifteen of them. After seeing her get a brand new one, and seeing the expense and time put into making one of these things, it made me realise that everything can be put into perspective. If she doesn't feel bad about having fifteen cars, then we shouldn't feel so bad about dolls :)

7. I know you already have all these replies, but I just wanted to add my bit. I really think you should have as many as you can afford and can love. I don't think anything else should really matter.

I want so many that I think it's going to take me three more years to get the ones I really want, but I would never get a doll that I didn't already love. (Though I'm lucky that I pretty much want a doll enough to get it or think it's okay, but not for me- none of the maybe stuff!)

I won't ever forget the feeling I had when I opened up my elf El's box and unwrapped his face... I knew he was going to be wonderful, but I just sat there and stared, just stared at him for who knows how long before I could even touch him or bring him out of the box. He was amazing, and I really loved him from that first moment. I felt the exact same way when his sister got here. I hope to be able to experience that joy of bonding with a new doll a dozen more times as I expand my family. I also know that no matter how many I get, they will all be just as special to me as they are when I open up that box. My husband suggested the other night that I sell one of my extra heads (like the vamp elf El) to speed up saving for Tsukasa (who is my dream). I couldn't believe he'd said that. It seemed like to me that would be chopping off a finger to get a toe. I couldn't part with any of them. (even the poor heads who don't have bodies yet!) They all give me so much happiness in a life filled with stress, even when I just sit looking at them or holding them, that I don't know how I managed without them!

8. Very well said!! I have been buying up a storm and have finally slowed down--I love all of my BJD kids and there are still a couple that I really want (CH Sia) and know I will have someday soon.

For way too many years I let what other people thought about my hobbies to get in the way of my enjoyment of them (esp. my family). Life is too short to not do what you love and love what you are doing--and to think about what others opinions are. There are no rules in our wonderful hobby--most of us have jobs/lives full of rules and regulations and hobbies are a time to do whatever we want, whenever we want, with however many dolls we want!! :daisy

9. It looks like most BJD owners enjoy collecting dolls... ack. What am I saying!? Of course we do. Or we wouldn't be here. I'm not making any sense. :oops:

What I mean is, is anyone else like me, and has already decided to stop collecting (for whatever reason) and simply enjoy the doll or dolls she already has? On the flip side, is there anyone who is determined to add more dolls to her collection as long as more dolls are being made?

I'm stopping at 2. Only because of space constraints at home (my room is already home to hundreds of anime DVDs and English, Chinese and Japanese manga *_* ) and because I feel that I can only properly manage two dolls. If I had more, I wouldn't have the time or energy to devote myself properly to their upkeep and I would end up feeling enormously guilty for neglecting them. :cry:

It would be interesting to hear your reasons for expanding or not expanding your collection. :daisy

10. I'm not exacty setting a limit.. but I'm not going beyond four. ^^;;

I have my DOD, I want a bigger BJD.. then I'm (maybe) getting a Dollfie dream. If I ever do find the perfect mould for him, I want another BJD to embody one of my roleplay characters. But beyond that, no @_@; I DO at least want a girl, since I love making dresses, but I don't really like the girl dolls out there as much as the boy's.

11. As it is right now, my group is complete at four. There's a fifth that I'd like added at some point in the future, but she'd be a relatively minor character in their story and isn't vital. That's really what did it for me, when I (for the most part) finalized the Seraph Program's storyline and realized that I didn't want or need anyone else for it.

Nothing wrong with stopping! =^^=~~*

12. I also plan to stop at 3. @_@ I haven't even found the right dolls/personalities for Rion and Rune yet, so I'll be patient in the meantime. ^_^

13. At first I sternly told myself ONE. Then I realized I wouldn't stop at one. But I also realized that, no matter how many beautiful dolls there are and there will be, I would never be able to have all of them, and wouldn't actually want all of them--I mean, I would want them, but I know I wouldn't be able to give them the love and attention they deserve...assuming I could afford them, which I could't. XD

I've disciplined myself and have decided to settle on three, one of each doll-type/size that captured my devotion: One "tiny" doll (Yo-SD Rengemaru), one "dreaming/partially closed-eye" doll (Soom Romantic Dimo), and the doll that I WILL have one day, because I was completely captivated, an FCS F-16 boy.

I'd like an MSD-sized doll some day, but that's only after I get my F-16, which will probably be a year or two or three hence.

14. I have 5 dolls now that I own or am expecting, and after much deliberation I have decided that I only want to add one more doll to my little family, probably a SD13 boy. At this point I'll have nice balance, probably 3 boys and 3 girls, 3 mini and 3 large.

Besides, I feel I wouldn't be able to give them enough attention if I had too many. :oops: And I don't really have a lot of extra spending money, and buying a new doll takes months of saving for me. And eventually I'd like to be able to spend my rather limited funds on nice things for my dolls instead of saving so much of it to buy new dolls. :daisy

15. I probably won't stop till I own every male MSD sized BJD XD And then I'll just start on the SD sized ones ^ ^ I love collecting things, and I don't have to worry about running out of room cause I have one of the Master bedrooms that are in my house so I have plenty of room for lots of BJD :D As long as they continue to be made, I'll most likely be collecting them ^ - ^

16. It is possible to stop! ^^;;;

It's been over a year and I'm still stopped at one. It's not because of a lack of funds or space... I just don't want another doll. They're all beautiful, but as for owning another... I'm quite happy with what I have.

17. Well... I dunno. I don't really think of it as collecting.

I don't set limits. I think... its the dolls I truly love. If I don't end up loving more than what I have, well, I guess I'll stop. If every year, a doll comes out that I fall in love with... I guess I'm going to be poor. >XD

18. I really only want my one doll. The others are pretty, yes, but I don't need them. My one boy will keep me happy, I know it. :grin: ..Now if only I could order him. :oops:

19. I thought i would be happy with just one (midori) but then hana came along and i just fell in love with her and then i always wanted a hugo so when i had the opportunity to buy him i had to. i also bought a tiny because i've always wanted one. i think im content right now but i know there will always be room for one more!

20. Oh my God! Someone else who is happy with just the one! I just have absolutely no interest in getting anyone else, since no one else has grabbed my eye. I do have plans for Rémy to "grow up" into an SD sized body, but that really depends on how he grows with me over the years that I have him.

Mind you, there was this Ricky head I saw on gigglegeek that would make a perfect brother, but it's just not worth the bother of trying to find him on Y!J... So surely he's not THAT perfect for me? I would crawl over broken glass for Rémy, but this is the only other one to even get my attention - and I'm already over him.