1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Limiting the BJD Addiction

Oct 28, 2004

1. As of typing this, I only want one more, making my doll family six. Of course there are lots of dolls I really, really like but only one that I must have, so I'm saving a slot for that one particular doll. After him, I'm done. Then I could focus on getting my group clothes, wigs, and other fun things :)

I wouldn't consider myself a ABJD collector. I don't have the hunger of wanting more and more like a normal collector has. I simply want to own the ones that tug at my heart the most and right now my family is almost complete, thank goodness.

I only have so much time and space and six is more than enough!

Edit more than five years later...
      After enjoying this hobby for as long as I have (and acquiring much more than six, lol), I know that as long as I am active in the community and as long as I visit company websites, temptations will always pop up. Now my philosophy is, never say never. Never say end! ;)

2. I think I'd stop if I realized I had a house downpayment sitting on my shelf in resin form. (...did I say "if"? I mean "when"...)

I'm aiming for four, though -- 2 SDs, 2 MSDs. Maybe five if I go through with my plan of getting Fia a best friend. 'One of each' would neatly embody the four basic personalities I've got going on, while also giving me the variety to have someone to wear every size/sort of clothing.

I don't *think* I'd ever get more than five, but it's a money issue not a "neglect" issue. I think by that point I'd rather start buying more clothes/wigs/shoes/etc and/or start in on other hobbies. (New releases or to-die-for-LEs might make me eat those words, though! ^^; It's a constant peril.) Plus I'm not a "collector". I don't like having lots and lots of a particular thing. For me, even though I kinda live in clutter (*ahem*) a sea of dolls would be daunting and unappealing. One wouldn't stick out from the next, and it just seems like meaningless clutter. This is how I feel when I look at most massive Barbie/Tyler/Lladro/Teddy Bear/etc etc collections. I just much prefer to have a few "highlights" in my collection than a every single one ever made. (My teddy bear collection, for instance, is firmly complete at five bears.)

3. I am going to stop at three... hopefully. @_@ I would like to get my pervy aristocrat (F-17) and I would like to acquire at some point an MSD boy as well or maybe Rengemaru if I could ever get him easily.

I'll most likely wait until I get back to Canada to order the MSD though...

4. I've stopped too. I passed the point of too many dolls a long time ago, but that apparently didn't stop me. What did stop me however, was actually getting my hands on my dream dolls- all of them. The last two I got I have wanted for 2-3 years, so it isn't like I've just satisfied an "oh isn't the latestest xxxxxxx so cute" sort of dream doll either.

Ken

5. I'd like to have 6 dolls eventually. My collecting goals include Hound, Narin, Narae, Happydoll Lucy or Marin (i'd be happy with either, not planning on getting both) and Peakswood Cue (I sooooo want to put her in a spikey fur wig and make her up to be a cute little punk). And I already have my Unoa. Those are the ones i definantly see myself getting in the future.

I'll probably stop collecting at some point, but i have no real limit set. I'll know what feels right and then i'll stop. I don't really want to go higher than 6 dolls, because i think at that point i'd have trouble clothing them all, but i really love all those dolls i just mentioned.

after that, what i really want to do is get an apartment or house with a spare closet and make them their own room.

~Erin

6. Well, I'm not planning on getting another besides my Aoi. Although a Yo-SD Suzuna or Rengemaru would be cute to have. :grin:
      Oh, and maybe a spare head for face-ups, but then it would be just a spare head, no personality or name.

I'm just not a doll person, so I can see my aesthetic craving for them being satisfied with one.

7. I'm a collector. I have 5 dolls right now with another mini and a SD head on the way. I really don't plan on stopping as long as I see dolls I like.

I never get tired of the dolls I have and enjoy each and every one of their little faces. I stare at them when I get up in the morning and before I go to bed. They're like collecting art to me. They're terribly beautiful and I can't resist. At the moment I really only have 3 other dolls that have my eye, but they're "in the future" dolls.

I wish I had much more time ( stupid job-lol) as I'd like to dote on each one individually, but I do take turns in making them new stuff, buying them things, and playing with them. None of them get neglected or ignored. And they have their own little "lives" together and drama anyways. :roll:

8. I think originally I meant to have about three, but now I have five :o

At first, I was really scared that I wouldn't have enough time to spend with all of them and some of them would end up being neglected, but happily that isn't the case. I try and spend lots of time with all of them, buy all of them presents. And their personalities are all so different, some of them don't need as much attention as others do.

I'm still planning to get at least one more, but I have no idea when. I feel so lucky to have the five I have now. I'm going to invest some time and money and love in them before I get anymore.

9. I currently only want four in total
      two msd sized and two sd sized(two girls and two boys one in each size)
      I'm saving for my msd sized girl now(DoD tender Bee-A), and I want to get her a boyfriend(most likely DoD U or Si) first before moving onto bigger dolls(unless, of course, I find a bigger doll I absolutly must have)

but you never know, I might end up with more dolls :oops:

10. Yeah. Before I got my first BJD, I was totally going to only get one. Because one would be all I needed, right? And then, a month later, I had two. But that was okay, because, well, now they had company. But I wouldn't need anymore then 2, right? No, well... er... *counts heads* I've got 4, and one on the way. (Admittedly, one of the four I hadn't planned on at all). But I don't think I'll be getting any more. I'm thinking maybe one Mini, and that should be it, because I'm feeling totally overwhelmed. So I'm going to try and give myself the rule that if someone new is coming, someone else would have to move out. And I'm sure I couldn't part with anyone, so hopefully that'll mean no new ones~!

11. I have four on the list right now, but I'd kind of like to have a few more than that to embody some of my nearest and dearest. I really don't see myself getting more than six total. Beyond that I just would be stretched too thin as far as devoting enough time to them each.

I'm not even going to go into how many dolls PherretLord wants...I think he wants at least four, but probably more. :oops:

12. I'm sort of in the same boat as nofunangie, as far as the statement of being a collector and not having enough time...

But I WANT to stop, I do think I kind of have too many now. When I look around, I don't see anybody I don't really love, though, so I don't want to get rid of anyone in favor of a new doll... I plan on getting a naripon pansy soon, and hope to get my mitts on a ch petite as well, but then I really, really do want to stop. They are too $$ to collect like tyler or barbie for me, and I'm in the hole financially and it's TOTALLY from the bjds. So I want to work harder on getting my debt paid down, play with what I have, as I don't have a lot of time to play either, due to my job. I haven't had time to even touch Jeremiah Blue in like 3 weeks. ACK!

13. I possess 4 dolls and have paid for 5.
      i.e ones on his way.

I am considering getting a Hound in a few months but maybe I wont....Then I think that will be it due to the fact that I dont have the space or really the funds (i have been way extravagant)...plus I also think if i have more than that some will get neglected and I dont want that.

14. I havent even ordered my first yet and Im already telling myself to stop XD My absolute must haves are CP Ani and AR Ren, but after them theres about 10 dolls I really, really want to get T__T I try telling myself I dont need so many dolls, but when I see the ones I like around the forum or while browsing, it just makes me ache for them ^^;
      So Im just going to aim for my first two, and then leave the rest up to fate and see how it goes @.@

15. Initially I planned only one, and that was Caro.

Simon came along and rocked our world.

Currently I am planning one more--either Shou or a FCS SD13 F13...

Caro: And then Arashi, right?

GJ: That makes four, not three, Caro.

Simon: <cough cough> L-bi.

GJ: L-bi?!

Caro: Three...and a half. C'mon, he's little...I'll take good care of him an' everything... :chibi

Simon: L-bi...<wistful> I could teach him botany...

GJ: *_*

(They want a mini. What they'd do with 'im...?) I'm undecided on the mini, but we really do love Arashi and L-bi.

16. I only really want three (at the moment). I've got Kel, and I'd like to get him a younger sibling (currently considering AR Dana boy), and I plan on getting Iolari if one of the companies ever comes out with a mold that will fit him. He deserves a body for forcing me to remember him so long after I dreamed about him. :oops: But Iolari seems to be far into the future.

17. Interesting question.

I've currently got two, with at least two more I'd like to have -- Bandi, and Unoa Sist. Or maybe one of the Narin dolls. And then a man doll, not a boy. But there isn't one yet that's just right.

But by the time I get those (if I ever do), no doubt there will be other new ones I admire. At least with the price of them, I can't do the rush-right-out-and-buy-them-on-impulse thing! So any I do get will be special to me.

But. I guess I am a doll collector at heart, and as long as I find dolls that I love, I'll keep buying them.

18. If I had the money, I'd keep getting more.

Honestly, I'd like to get dolls of all the characters in my comic, but it's money that's keeping me back.

Right now I have one, and would like to get his little sister, but I dunno if I'd ever be able to afford more after that unless I win the Lottery.

19. Hmm, I really need to stop. :oops: There's one more boy I want, to be one more character in my little universe, and then there are no other characters I feel like I need to embody... From recent experience, I bond a LOT better with my story characters than... dolls I just bring home because they appeal to me, so there's not much reason for me to bring someone home on a whim... it'll just lead to guilt later :oops: Since all my boys have pre-existing stories to them, it's a lot easier for me to just pick them up and start playing with them on those lines. ^^

Perhaps as time goes on, if new dolls come out that seem to make better vessels for my characters, I might replace their current bodies, but.. I'm happy with who I've got now *^^*

...4-5 dolls is about all I can manage, space-wise, too. X_x;;

20. Right now I'm stopping at four. Possibly even three. >_>

Right now, there are only four dolls that I really even want to have: elf Ani(Owned), El(On his way, someday), AES and new FCS F-24 SD13 boy. And AES I keep waffling on, because of all the hurdles and hoops she'll entail(I DO NOT want the mature body, but I also resent the extra expense of having to buy head and boy seperately(And buy eyes as well... That or buy a whole AES, sell the mature body and buy a non-mature body and arghhh) and the annoyingness of having to buy her clothing for girls. =_= Nai, Lutz and Lukas are going to be enough of a demanding trio of pain as it is... :cry:

Some other dolls(Hound, Soah, Isao) are pretty, but just not 'I must have that!'.

Though I suppose with a non-limited elf Yder, all bets might be off... But I want him mostly because he looks like a grown-up Ani and thus a grown-up Nai, so that's a bit redundant... And weird, heh, having the same person around twice... I'd have to sell one, I think... And Nai isn't going anywhere. >o