1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Limiting the BJD Addiction

Oct 28, 2004

1. I don't just spend my money on dolls alone so... first comes some shoes and clothes for Tero, then I know I want to get another doll. I don't know about after that though. Maybe one more if I see one I absolutely can't live without. I can't see myself owning more than three really.

Who knows about the future though? I'm not setting a limit.

2. I bought Juniper to keep me company as I homeschooled, she was planned to be the only one. Juniper wedged her way into my heart despite the fact that I find other dolls more pleasing aestetically.. even though I love Juniper, I still very much want a doll with a more realistic face. I decided to purchase Ttori to keep Juniper company if/when I should go to a normal school, and she was going to be the last one...

But then I found a doll that just looked like a beloved charactar, so now I'm planning three... :oops:

Only one 60cm, though, the others are MSD size.

I think if I had a lot of money I would collect more. I couldn't see myself collecting the limiteds, as I wouldn't have time to play with all of my large collection and the limiteds should go to someone who will really enjoy them.

3. I was thinking of only getting one, but perhaps it would be a little lonely for him, so I decided on two, of course, number two won't be coming for possibly another year, since I still don't have enough to even get my first one.

4. I'm really trying to stop. seriously. I already feel like I have too many but I can't bear to part with any of mine.

My guess is that I may add two more. I really wanted a you-tenshi or sei-tenshi. eventually. but I'm going to wait at least several months to a year or two to get one I think.

and one of my dolls might need a boyfriend. maybe. eventually, again a long time from now...

but for now, I'm so happy with what I have. when I see new dolls come out, sure there is the rush of "OMG! NEW DOlls!" but more and more I'm starting to look at them like "well, that doll is wonderful... but I love the ones I have already so much, and there just isn't room."

basically at this point, the doll would have to be extremely unusal (like some really really awesome new joint system, plus the most gorgeous face ever)...
      OR
      it would have to be SO WONDERFUL that I felt that it would replace one of the ones I already have (I don't see this happening ever, I adore the ones i have).

to babble further, I always wanted one large snowskin doll, but so far, none has been exactly what I wanted, so I could see myself falling for one in the distant future.

but again, I feel like my family is complete and I am so very grateful (and actually somewhat guilty feeling) for what I have.

5. I have two and I keep telling myself that's all I need.

But they both have extra heads, so at any moment my doll count could double if I got them bodies! And if I weaken, I could so easily add more! But so far I'm holding and hoping...

Besides, I'm already buying doll's worth of clothes and wigs and eyes and shoes...! :oops:

6. I think that when I feel that I can't give enough attention to the individual dolls in my family, then it will be time to stop adding any more. Right now, because I'm selling dolls from another area of my collection (yes, I'm definitely a collector personality), I can afford to add the ones I really feel strongly about, within limits. For instance, I decided against adding Liz. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that price. Instead, I've added a mini, and will most likely be adding another mini - perhaps today. Others I would like to add, at some point...Madoka, if the opportunity ever arises. A boy mini would be nice. I've been looking at Bee-A and Too for awhile, but never taken the plunge. And there's a Rainman doll that may be offered, that I would seriously consider. I feel like I'd want to take a breather after adding perhaps 3 more to the family. Space, money and time to spend with each doll, would be strained, beyond that. Space is a huge consideration. And I do like to give each one quality time and attention, because I love them all dearly. But there is a point where you can say, that's enough. And when you next see a doll that really tugs at you, then you need to look at your family and make some hard decisions...

7. i thought i was done til i saw dollstown bandi. anyway yeah i am at a point once tiffee comes to cool it, the dolls are just too big and its nice to have one or two and spoil them with clothes and what not. if i have too many dolls i get overwhelmed in the swamp and its depressing to me.

so now, when i see a bjd i love i make myself sell dolls i don't care for anymore and clothes and things this way i fund the purchase and clear space all in one.

deep in my heart i know its best to have limited love interests at least for me, so numbers are a bad thing here.

good luck, collecting is a cursed habit when out of control

carol

8. I actually thought I wouldn't get more than the one dream doll that I have of Jun Tachibana but I certainly didn't expect the others I have now and I guess I would eventually like a boy but probably no more than that. I'm perfectly happy having the girls alone for now :)

9. I have a real completionist mentality, so before I even ordered my first dolls, I created a list of two families with three dolls each to try to limit myself -- as if that worked. Things happened. Two dolls didn't work out, I fell for Tsubaki, Tsubaki needed a brother, Keizo and Mitsu want a baby, I still have clothes for an MSD girl, but no girl. I love how tidy my sig is now, but I think I'll have to add at least two more, a FCS MSD girl and a Yo-SD. But then Sakaki will need a boyfriend and I'd really like a sunlight MSD boy...I tell you, sometimes I wish I had taken up heroin, rather than BJD. :roll:

10. When do you sit there and contemplate your collections and decide "I have enough."? My dad is an avid Civil War collector. When he was younger, he would be discerning of what he purchased, but he seemed to purchase a lot of stuff. Now that he's older, he still spends a signifigant amount of money on his hobby, but the stuff he buys is much higher quality, much harder to come by, and is more personal to him than his earlier days.

I've noticed lately that I've slowed down a lot on my purchasing, of both dolls and accessories. I've sat back many times, viewed my dolls and what they have and thought "I have enough." Sure, there are still clothes I want to get, some shoes, outfits etc...But in the grand scheme of things, I can see getting 2, maybe 3 more dolls (A Heath, Unoa Lusis, Anael) and being done. None of the new dolls that have been coming out really "wow" me, so to speak, and I keep seeing myself go back to the same dolls over and over.

Have any of you ever decided that enough is enough, and that you have all that you essentially want/need out of this hobby? If not, do you think you'll ever reach that point? I know that collecting is "nigh infinate", but can you really see yourself collecting hundreds of BJDs for the next 30 years? Do you think it's a sign if you see yourself going back to the same dolls over and over? I love the crew I have now. I'm quite content with them. Are you in the same spot, or do you want to keep going?

:grin:

11. I'd consider myself finished when I have one of each doll. ^^

12. I'm sure I'll come to a halt soon. It's like that with every hobby/collection I've had - Final Fantasy figures, anime figures, Pinky St. figures, etc. After a while, I'm just happy with what I've got and occasionally add some things to it that I really, really, really like.

As for BJD's, well, at the moment, I don't know when I'll stop but I don't plan to own more than 4-5 dolls.

13. I pretty much feel I have enough dolls. I still want a Bermann, but I can live without him as it's unlikely I'll be able to get into Tensiya fast enough to get him.

I have 6 dolls, 3 couples, a couple in basically each size. That gives me complete flexibility in terms of the sizes I can sew for, and it's not so many dolls that they are ignored.

As to clothes and accessories, I'll probably never have enough of those :)

14. Im pretty happy were I am now
      I can look at new dolls and appreciate them , but I dont want them

I think I may want a Mini Fee El when he is released , but if I would want him exactly like the large El , Unless he is exactly as I want I wont buy him .we will see

but Yeah Im pretty happy with my collection
      they are all very special to me

15. I've taken a funny approach to the hobby, assembling a "cast of characters" at high speed. I plan one more. At that point, I want to shift emphasis to costuming and just playing with them like crazy. I suspect my approach is a common newbie error, really...I jumped in with both feet, and now I'm getting the impression that I will be inundated with pictures of beautiful dollies for the rest of my life... LOL ...So what's the hurry?

Maybe it would have been more sensible to wait, and be very judicious. I didn't have enough experience to know the breadth and beauty of what's on offer out there.

But I have no regrets. I love my silly boy scout troop. I love the doll I'm planning for the end of this year. It's "enough" because it has to be enough, and the truth is each one of these critters has enough depth and magic to captivate me forever. So I miss out on some incredible dollie. My dollies are incredible, to me. That's what I call "enough."

If that makes any sense.

*_*

16. I'm done. =D

G and J are all I need. There are still many dolls I enjoy seeing but I have no intention of owning them. I am happy enough to admire them through their owners' beautiful photos. I can't imagine how having another doll would make me happier because having G and J already make me feel so incredibly happy. I am perfectly content with these 2 boys. =)

17. I have at least one more who absolutely has to get here (she'll kill me if I don't get her a body). Maybe two (poor Dylan...he's forever getting the short end of the stick...). After that I'm done unless there's some cataclysmic event. *_*

As far as clothes, my boys tend to be discerning. So I'm not in danger of accumulating too much of a wardrobe.

18. I'm after one more doll ( that will make a grand total of two :grin: ). Then, some doll stuff now and there.

It's like my MLP collection; it's not that big -I only own around 60- but I'm starting to feel uncomfortable because that's a lot of ponies for me *_* so I'm cutting out the "oooh shiny! *grabs pony*" thing, and buying only the ones I really, really like.

19. good question

my attention span is short and i get hyper easily... so yeah...

from swimming to trying to lose weight by exercising i have noted it's like an urge... it drives me to a point then i stop perhaps i go into another new hobby or maybe i might juz go back to wat i have....

i have like.... *starts counting heads*

*Large*
      female : 4 +1
      male : 5 + 4

Medium
      Male : 1

Tinies
      Female : 5
      male : 2

total of 22 dollfies... erm yeah i think people are going to nag at me yeah? lol oh well i might stop after this cos nothing new seems to catch my attention perhap i might get another 2... A bermann and maybe a MSD girl

20. I THINK I've got enough. I'm emphasizing the "think" because there was a period of time when I thought one doll was enough. I didn't even think about getting another one for nearly three months after I bought my first doll.

Then her story started to develop, and I thought, "Well, maybe one more to fit this character I've come up with." And then it was one more, and one more, until somehow I had six dolls.

I thought I was finished, then somebody posted a link to a new doll site. One of the dolls seemed to reach out and say, "You know you need me!" So now I have seven, and although there are still a lot of dolls I find appealing, they don't quite fit in with the dolls I have now, and I'm not really tempted to buy them. I'm still considering buying a Hound, but so far his character just hasn't crystallized enough so that I know what he needs to be like.

But since new dolls are being made all the time, my "finished" state could change in a minute.[/i]