1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Little Monica - Harmony Line (Part 3)

Jan 16, 2016

1. @dollhausen here’s DJ! Left image is what I’ve posted before, right two pics are her new faceup. The color difference is only a matter of lighting but they pretty much nailed the replica. Only difference is the eyeshadow and eyebrows are placed lower on the sculpt.
      [​IMG]

And then here’s a more close up photo of Rain!

[​IMG]

2. @Cuteasadoll wohoa I didn't realize they had placed her eyebrows lower this time! :nowords:

3. @tharlenne yeah! It makes her look even more intense. I do wish they were a little higher if I'm really picky, but it's not a huge bother. The whole faceup was intense from the start and that's why I needed her as DJ's reshell :3nodding:

4. @Cuteasadoll Thanks for the pics! That helps. I do like that. I agree that with the eyebrows lower it makes her look more intense. Almost....not angry but with the other faceup it seems like her expression is more open and ambiguous, here it feels like she's concentrating on something. I like aspects of both.

Thanks for the portrait. That's super light compared to some I've seen. Which were more like DJ's faceup. Damn...now I'm feeling a passion for Chloe coming on...

5. Hey everyone,
      I just wanted to share my experience with a cracking face-up, too. Since I think the annoying things about the hobby should be shared as well.
      A while ago I noticed several spots on my Sophia where her face-up was cracked or peeled itself off completely:

[​IMG]IMG_4955 by keliyara, on Flickr
      [​IMG]IMG_4949 by keliyara, on Flickr

The faceup came off under the right eye, on the right side between her nose and mouth corner, under her mouth and between the right eye and eyebrow. (You should probably click the pictures and zoom in on Flickr, since it's kind of hard to see here.)
      Anyway, I contacted Little Monica and they said they couldn't redo the faceup for free since I've had the doll head for a while now. They could only offer me a little discount on the faceup itself. So I had to pay the -reduced- faceup, the shipping to South Korea and back. The faceup on the returned head was nice and flawless, but the whole experience told me that I woul rather send the head to a faceup artist in my country, rather than to send it half across the globe just to be painted again. :/

6. Oh dear! I wonder if the cracking is happening to all the heads in our batches :(

7. @Cuteasadoll I remember a faceup artist (can't remembe who exactly) once wrote on her website, that she couldn't do faceups when humidity is very high, because of something with the colours and the sealant not staying on the resin. I think I heard that from several doll companies, too. So maybe some of these faceups where done during high humidity. Just a guess.

8. @Amadiel yes it was definitely humidity based. I've had it happen before but sometimes it ws the heat/humidity from my climate rather than the painter's climate. Never been as big a bubble as on my Chloe though!

9. Do you think an occasional spray with sealant would help with that? I mean before it cracked. And I agree with your takeaway from the experience, I think if I had a faceup falling to pieces I would give her a complete makeover.

10. When it’s humidity based flakes from during painting, it cracks because there’s moisture underneath the layers that eventually breaks through. More sealant wouldn’t fix it. But if it’s hairline cracking, due to old sealant, fresh sealant can fix it! It’s called crazing, amd it happens at my job working with pottery as well. This article explains the science side of things well!

11. @Cuteasadoll Thanks for the article. That's pretty interesting stuff, especially with the engineers involved. I do remember there being some churn awhile back around the formula change with that MSC. Bummer. Since I see Poison Girl's still selling dolls does that mean she found a replacement?

12. Results are usually fine with UV cut MSC, it's the plain MSC that continues to have longevity issues (as far as I've ready anyway! I'm not a faceup artist and what painting I did dabble in was with an airbrush)

13. Anyone happen to know if/when they plan to do another tan event? That choco skin looks so nice...But I missed the last one

14. @NamelessPierrot expect to wait at least a year, maybe longer, maybe not at all :...( Little Monica has not shown any reliability when it comes to releasing information about future tan events. The first year, they promised every summer, but proceeded to not do it the following year and told us “there are no plans for a tan event”
      But, as time went on, they offered the second one, then this year’s, but scrapped the old tans entirely and got new colors. With anything else I’d say go ahead and ask the company, but whatever Little Monica may answer may not end up entirely true. Which is why I jumped on my impulse this time around :sweat

15. @Cuteasadoll Oh man. I'll def ask, but looks like dyeing just might be in my future

16. They got back to me and effectively said they plan on "special skin event" every year around July-August, with "various colors including tan" but "can't say what color skins" they'll be doing yet
      Which is super vague and has me a bit worried they won't release the tan I need, I might just dye the doll after all instead of waiting to see if they do it

17. Devlyn channeling his inner Danny Sexbang.

[​IMG]

18. The lips!!! Such a sweetheart!

19. I'm haven't been too active in DOA, but I just ordered the Gloomy Sarubia in normal skin! :dance She'll be a perfect twin to my regular Sarubia at home :)

20. I just got a Sophia and I'm in love, she's so sad and delicate looking.

[​IMG]

Really having some trouble deciding what sort of wig to get for her though, her head is a bit smallish. :sweat

#400 Melissa, Dec 23, 2018
      Last edited: Dec 25, 2018