1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Lolitas with Dolls!

Aug 4, 2011

1. Oh to add, I have had people bring their dolls to a meet-up. mostly one of the sit down and have afternoon tea ones. We adored her but a lot of the local lolita's also have dolls. Also often during doll meets we'll dress lolita. It really depends on what you're doing and who you're meeting as well.

2. Ohh yes! I would like to have him dress in a sweet lolita dress! But sadly, I've only brought him out with him dressed as a visual kei when I'm dressed in Lolita ><! I can't seem to find any dress that suits him!

3. Sometimes I wear lolita to doll meets and I like to dress my girls in some lolita. I love BTSSB and AatP, but I do not match with my girls. I might wear a Baby dress or an AatP dress to a meet, but it will not necessarily match the ones my dolls are wearing (though the colors might compliment each other). Same with AP, I have some AP clothes for off topic dolls, but they do not coordinate with my clothes. I have never brought my dolls to lolita only events though, it is just a lot to carry if i do not have too.

4. When I first bought my Kid Delf Bory I took him to the MCM Expo in London for the day with me, me in my lolita dress and him in shorts and a shirt. I spent the day with him in my arms, worrying that he would get damaged. I wouldn't do it again, I love him too much to risk it.

I'd suggest leaving your doll at home unless it's a small event.

5. Hmmm.... So, I guess small photoshoots with my friends are the way to go?

Although taking a doll to the grocery store or something, when I'm all dressed up, would be hilarious. I'd love to see the looks I'd get.

6. There's a pic on People of Walmart of a girl in the Sweet style carrying a bjd. Surprisingly the comments are supporting her. :)

7. It's nice to know that not everyone hates this hobby.... I still would like some ideas of how to carry the doll if I go to a convention and dont carry him in my arms.

Do I just suck it up and buy an actually carrier? Or should I try to make one that matches my dress? For those of you who DO take your dolls to meets and conventions and such, do you bring an extra way to carry them? Does it depend on their size?

8. How about a pretty basket with a ribbon on the handle or with a lacy handkerchief/cloth inside for the doll to sit on? Like I said, I'm not a Lolita but pretty/cute bags or totes are some of the accessories, yes? Depending on the size of your doll, you can probably carry it sitting, kneeling, or standing in your purse. Just make sure to have something in there to brace it and keep it from moving all around. The plus side is that you won't ruin your carefully crafted look with a sling or baby carrier. ;)

I usually just carry the one doll tucked securely into my left elbow. I have the full use of my other arm and I can still use my left hand. I want to try the basket idea for carrying my two cat minis.

9. Depending on what style you are into (or not) you could try making a coffin-style bag to keep your Bjd in if/when your arms get tired. I tend to just carry at cons but I have a Msd and a Yosd, so they are a little lighter. If I get tired, I either let my sister carry whichever one I am holding or take it back to our room.

10. Yep, I just usually carry my boy in my arm when i go to conventions and I've found that people are generally respectful and have never tried to take him or touch him. I was really worried the first year I brought a doll along with me because I had heard all the horror stories of people trying to grab them away and such, but I never even saw anything remotely like this happen at the convention. I think for a SD, a bag or carrier might be too cumbersome to try and carry around. The coffin style would be cute though, especially if you had a little MSD in there or something >w<. However, for me, if I was going to have my doll in a carrier the whole time, I probably wouldn't bring him because it'd be kind of pointless.

11. I Hope This Thread Stays A While. I Am In Love With Both Hobbies. And Alot Of Decora Gals,Lolita Lovers,Gothic Kei's And Much More Somehow Found Our Way Into The Hobby. I Have Learned That From A Few Meets. People Who Tend To Dress "Childish" Love These Highly Customizable Resin Creatures. & That's Great Because, It's Just More People To Share The Love With!

12. I don't dress Lolita so I can't comment on that aspect, but I do occasionally take my dolls out with me to conventions or even shopping. Personally I prefer to have the doll in my arms for transport, but I will bring a case as back up if I want to put him away or have to for some reason.

Also keep in mind that even if your doll doesn't feel heavy at first, it definitely will after a while. I have an El on and old body who feels like a bag of bricks if you carry him long enough. Not as much with my Dollfie Dream, so she will be attending more meets with me than him.

13. I have yet to take my Kid delf Kiwi out somewhere but part of the reason that I bought her was because her sculpt seemed to go so well with the lolita aesthetic. I'm a bit worried about taking her out though. She is my first doll and I have only been to one convention. I would love to twin with her and currently have a wig that is similar to my hair and a pair of eyes the same color as mine.

14. It's one of my dreams to go to a Lolita event with one of my dolls!
      Dressing my girl the same as me would be lovely, or doing shiro-kuro outfits would be so nice too!
      I'd definitely bring a comfortable bag with lots of handkerchiefs to keep her safe in while traveling to and from the event.

15. I have attended quite a few conventions with my dolls in tow, in lolita and out. I recently cosplayed with them as well, myself as Alice, and my sd boy as the white rabbit. As for when I am in loli, my boys don't wear dresses, so I usually just put them in an outfit that fits my color scheme. My girl is too punk to wear loli, so I dont see matching her either. I have found that at cons people are generally respectful of them, and the few times I have had someone try to touch them without asking, a quick turn and friendly warning look have always worked. ;)

As for taking them with you to regular lita meets, I would say it depends on where it is, and how comfortable you are with it. At a con you can take them back to your room, but at a meet you will not have that option, so do you want to have to keep track of them all day? SDs do get rather heavy after a while, and even though my friend's Apollo is lighter than my DOD, or the Custom House I carry on occasion, you will feel it after a couple hours. I just sit my boy on my left arm and hold onto his legs, and it works fine for me.

Hope some of that helps, and it think this is a perfectly reasonable thread. Owning dolls ends up crossing over into many aspects of our lives, and I think it is great to be able to combine your love of both!

16. I'm not really into lolita myself, but I have:

a) dressed fancifully for a meet and
      b) seen other people dress lolita for meets.

So thus qualified to participate in this discussion, I'll just say that I don't think being in a lolita costume at a doll meet should pose any especially unique challenge (so long as it's reasonably 'sensible' lolita).

Whether you're in costume or not, your arms may get sore from carrying a big doll around. However, usually there is some place to set the dolls down, so unless you decide that you are a Conceptual Piece of Art and Must carry your doll at all times, there should be arm-respite available.

I've never seen anyone in real life dress to match their doll, but I think that with a style like lolita, which is so doll-like already, it could be quite a spectacular look.

Obviously, I can't comment on lolita meets, but I do very much enjoy seeing people dress in expressive ways at doll meets.

17. I don't have any dolls in my possession just yet, but I hope to possibly make dresses for mine to match my lolita.
      That is if I can learn how to sew properly or something.
      I'm not too sure about meets though.

18. I often dress as Lolita for cosplay or costume parties, and I always bring a doll wearing something in similar style as I am. Sometime I go as black lolita, and carry a doll in white lolita outfit, or both of us as punk lolita, or me as a elegant lolita with one of my boys in their finest suits and frills.
      I carry it mostly in my arms, but I always bring a bag of sorts that I can fit it into in case I need my arms for something else - though I often let my doll-loving friends babysit my doll to while I do other things. I only let people I trust to care for it, naturally. They know the consequences and expenses that will happen if they fail...

So share your love for lolita and your doll hobby by combining. :):chocoberry

19. I don't think I could ever bring a doll with me to a meet, unless if it was a very small and slightly short one. I fear too much about something happening to my dolls and I'd be afraid they would somehow get messed up and I wouldn't want to have to keep an eye on them the whole time. Otherwise, I would love to have a few matching outfits (particularly a few from Anna House) just to do something like photoshoots in. ^_^

20. Usually if I'm at a con I'll wear lolita and carry a doll or two around for at least one day, especially if there is a lolita or doll meetup. Usually I take my Iplehouse MSD twins (Tatiana and Tania) around in a carrier I made out of bookboard, which is a heavy cardboard that hardcover books are made out of. The carrier is basically a box with one side open and a padded sofa inside made to fit 2 MSDs. There are ribbon ties for each doll so they have seatbelts and don't fall out easily. The space below the seat of the couch is empty, so I put velcro on the bottom edge of the fabric ruffle and use the space as a purse. I'll try to add a pic later when I'm at my desktop. Overall its a good system and I've found that it lets me carry my dolls around and have them be seen yet at the same time protect them.

Generally for cons and lolita meetups I'll do gothic or punk lolita. The dolls I eather match to what I'm wearing or contrast it. I like having them around for lolita events because I love making sweet lolita clothes and want to show my designs for comission work but look ridiculous wearing them myself.