1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Long-distance Relationships?

Feb 3, 2007

1. All of my characters were written and RPed for years before they had dolls, and to this day, all of their real interaction takes place within writing. My writing partners have always lived away from me and it's never limited me at all in the past. I never take photostories, so even now with dolls, I don't think it is a big deal at all. The characters are all in our heads, there is no need for the dolls to be physically together unless we wanna do pr0ny photoshoots.

Although, at the moment, rkold's Keigo is living with me since his character is in a threesome with two of my dolls, and the three of them are parents to my Bluefairy twins. And we really want some amusing family portraits.

2. One of Yan's two boyfriends lives five hours away and while that isn't impossible it does kind of suck. Rye's owner and I have been able to meet up once so far and we know we will for a con but beyond that I don't really know. In the future if she was interested I wouldn't be averse to maybe trading dolls for a little while since some of our other boys are related in one way or another. I couldn't give up any of my boys permanently though. (And she knows if she ever seels Rye he's mine!)

3. I honestly couldn't do it. Right now one of my dolls is involved in a relationship with my roommate's doll--if we got in a fight or my roommate moved away there is no way I could let my doll go with her and I wouldn't ask to keep my roommates--we're both too bonded with our dolls.

The only instance (which someone mentioned earlier) in which I would send my doll off to live with another owner was if I was having bonding issues with the doll and was considering selling it or changing its character--beyond that I just couldn't do it.

I'm just a silly girl...but I love my dolls ^^;

If it were me, I would likely choose the option many others chose and simply RP them over instant messengers, PMs, etc. Seeing the two together is nice, but I think it's nicer to be able to keep my dolls within touching distance ^^; Of course, I could probably also see myself using it as an excuse to go visit the person who owned the other doll, finances permitting.

4. And Ichigo's a little fond of Momo! We'll just have to see where this goes. :):aheartbea

5. Tried it with Ilú for a while and had it fail spectacularly. I feel much better off now he's out of that one and 'free' again - the distance was at least part of what contributed to that, I think, though there were also factors other than that too.

As for currently, I'm not sure if what Dee and Kafers' Jin have constitutes as 'long-distance' (or even 'relationship' exactly, but that's another story :lol: ) but we RP them together pretty constantly and I've dragged Dee up to her house before / she's planning to drag Jin down when she visits me sometime soon-ish if possible, and it's really nice to see the two of them together and actually sharing the same physical space aside from RP.

Ultimately, I think it depends on owner-personalities more than whatever distances may be involved. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :)

6. My girl Semi's man lives in Hawaii! And she's in Las Vegas @.@ So that' really something but we are planning a little surprise for her by having her man's owner send him over for Valentines day XD so cute! My boy's love lives in Vegas

7. My boy Azure is dating CorpseBlossum's El, Kain, and she lives clear across the country from me. We RP together, and since Azure is a character I've had for years, I don't feel like I'm limiting his story. I've done so many Alternate Universes with him, that I feel like, "what's one more?" If anything, I find that he progresses *more* when I'm writing with someone else, and it's a storyline that I never would have come up with on my own.

Neither of us are comfortable enough to ship our boys back and forth (we don't trust USPS that much), but we've come up with a plan to visit each other once a year. I went out to Florida to visit her last year, and she'll come visit me this year. It's not perfect, and since we've become good friends in the process, we'd like to see each other more- and let our boys "see" each other more- but it works for us.

8. Sorry if this is ot but I'm just curious.. Where do you RP with your dolls? I rp a lot (too much ;__; ) in swedish, but I never find any english sites (like ag) (and really nowhere for doll-rping o.o), and if you do it on pm, where do you find people to rp with? o-o >.< (or am I being stupid now, as usual? xp) ._.

I don't have a doll yet so I don't know anything about long distance relationship, but I know it sucks for humans.. >_< Last girlfriend lived 60 miles away. So not fun. I got shipped a lot of times, lol. Expensive and dangerous, and I almost got lost at the airport D:

9. Personally, I met my RP-partner, now also my girlfriend ( :aheartbea glassalice) right here on DoA. Our boys started interacting a little bit back and forth in a couple of gallery threads, then we moved to LJ where we both post most of our pictures and started RPing a little in comments there before we decided that PMs would be a better place to write anything more substantial. From there we moved to MSN messenger mostly just to chat between replies, but started RPing there as well XD End of March, Con and Al will have been together for a year, and us for almost six months ^^

She did bring Con (and the other boys) along when she came to see me in November, and I'll be taking my crew when I go up there in March, but at least last time the boys didn't get much time because the visit was more for us than them XD This time we'll have more time, and photostories and shoots for them will probably actually happen ^^

....Okay, probably more than anyone really wanted to know XD But hopefully there's something in there that answers someone's questions!

10. Well, my dolls are close friends with Green_Judy's, and so whenever I head down to see her, they get hauled through airport security with me. Most of my doll's 'romantic' relationships are within my 'doll family,' but there are a few exceptions. Notably, my Tanning Ren, Luke Alan, has been visiting with Lugi-moo's Kid Delf Elf Ttori, Hanbyul, since May of 2006. He's still my doll, he's just...spending some time with his lover, so to speak. **chuckle** And he went to stay with them for a couple months back in 2005, too.

For the most part, though, I prefer to keep 'romance' within the family, and most of them seem to be cooperating (with the exceptions of Umbrae and Luke Alan...and Darryl's strangely not-quite-platonic relationship with his best friend, JadeIllusion's Alexander).

11. Lets see...I have some in LD relationships. Mike's visited one friend's house, but not the other. I had planned for it to be in house, but so far...no one has entered that he cares to be with.

12. for Jenova and Aki it all started with a comment made in one of my threads. Jenova commented back to Aki, and Aki then said something else to him [he challenged him actually] which sparked Jenova's interest [he likes a challenge -haha] and ended up in a full out "fight" [term used very loosely] here on DoA XD -It started getting out of hand [read that as no longer work safe] so me and Syrinxfox decided to take it off stage and into rp [in IM] so they could do whatever without fear of compromising innocent eyes :sweat

Both me and Syrinxfox sort of thought it was going to be a one time thing, but neither Aki or Jenova would stay away from each other and it developed from there, they've been together ever since - in turn we became friends while they got to know each other and have been since as well.

most of the friendships/relationships that mine have built have all started with random comments made that they've replied to. None of it's ever been scripted or thought out - and alot of peeps have passed by - sometimes they take and all get along beautifully, other times it's nothing more than a few exchanges here or there ^_^

13. ^Oh ok, I see ^__^Thanks :3

14. My Arai has a sort of long distance relationship thing going with Amelie's Mina - it works out rather well seeing as they're both free of spirit and does whatever they want to otherwise as well. So far they haven't been anywhere near each other, and well, I almost fear what will happen when they finally get to meet...

15. *bows* Thank you everyone for all your inputs!! My boy Chidori is currently in a relationship with Cornstarch's boy Jiro. We decided to let them live together permanently so I am making up my mind to let Chidori go. It was a hard decision on my end but I'm glad that he'll be love and cherished by many when he arrives at Jiro's home.

Your comments were the most helpful ^^

16. ^This.

The first part is absolutely true. Dolls, people, etc... long distance relationships do not work. They may last for a long time, but they always have a bad outcome.

I have Jaszi on the BJD Network. She doesn't have a "significant other" yet, though it' be kinda cute to see. X3

I would never want to send my girl anywhere if I'm not there. o.o And I wouldn't want anyone to send their dolls to see mine for the fear that someone might sneak into my room and take them D:

17. I don't do them -- it's too difficult. When my roommate moved out of state, it caused an issue because she owned the body of one of my characters while I had his wife, child and brother. In the end, Michael ended up just living with me. I don't like shipping my dolls back and forth, and I don't like breaking up family units, or having someone else have control of a relationship -- it's just too hard for me to do. I learned my lesson the first time around, so now the only relationships that happen happen within members of my own group.

18. While I don't think such generalized comments about real people is appropriate for this forum, I do have to say I feel somwhat the same when it comes to dolls. At least in my own personal situation anyway. While I know there are some people who have no problem sharing dolls, for me it just simply doesn't work.

Half my dolls' characters are created by a friend of mine, I don't pretend like I am their original creator even if I own their resin forms. As we built up their story together she has stated that she feels I somewhat co-created them, and really, I feel the same toward her when it comes to my boys. She knows them on a level that I feel is more personal and because of that I don't mind if she takes a few artistic liberties with them since I know she'd never make them act completely OOC. In that same way I'm sure she trusts me not to turn their resin forms into something entirely out of whack with who they are. Because of this trust it's alright that I keep all the boys here with me, keeping them together as a whole and complete rather than breaking them up.

Perhaps if our characters didn't have such a developed storyline in which I felt so connected to their relationships and their 'dolly forms' just sort of 'met' online in one of those types of games, I wouldn't feel as strongly about it as I do. But as I do care alot about their original story and what they represent, it just feels right that they remain together.

19. My boy, Ymir, is in a relationship with my friend Kesha's doll, Sharon. I would send him over if I wouldn't miss him so much XD Kesha's been one of my best friends for a few years, irl, so I have no problems with it.

20. My Kazuya is currently in a relationship with Eraknight11's Casanova. ^^ They've been dating for a year and a half or so now and I can't imagine the two of them ever splitting!

Although Eraknight11 and I live in states diagonal from each other, we have met for the first time back in April. Before that, he had sent his doll to take cafe of for a few months. At the moment, it's been a few months since I've sent him my doll! I think it works out pretty nicely since our boys get to see each other.

As for having our boys be together permanently eventually, I've never thought about it! Although I must admit that I did get a bit teary eye when I sent Eraknight11's boy away, I think it works out for now. ^^;;