1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Losing/Misplacing Doll Parts or Dolls?

Dec 7, 2006

1. Foxxian, that would have been a prime candidate for a small claims court. Maybe even federal court! Opening other people's mail is a federal crime! That story made me want to kick and scream and kill things, which is what I would most definitely have a hard time not doing in that situation.Several times in this thread have I heard mention of losing doll clothes in the washing machine. What immediately popped into my head to do is to use a lingerie bag. They're the little fishnet bags that you put your fragile stuff, like bras or silk underwear in to wash, so they won't get eaten by the machine's agitator. They're around $1.50 at Dollar General, and a great investment in my opinion, if you're gonna be washing your doll clothes in a machine. I would prefer hand washing anyway for things like weak seams and loose buttons...and lace.

2. i once temperately lost my delf kids head cap, he had a flop off the table and it went flying i couldn't find it anywhere :? but it was eventually located in the same aria xD

3. I lost Mali's hands a while ago, one of her defaults and an optional hand. I replaced the default one, but still no luck finding them.

I also though I'd lost my friends doll's ankle joint, but it had just fallen further into the box under her pillows.

4. Bag of ears. Interesting. :lol:

5. Funny this should come up...
      I misplaced Marg's headcap, because I was testing sealents on it (didn't go well) put it down, then couldn't find it. Cue mad searching, checking the floor for a chewed up headcap, and found it on the bed.
      "Dammit Marg, I thought I lost your head." isn't a phrase people often hear :D

6. I do know where Donncha's spare hands are and Aiden's feet (I'm not sure why he has an extra pair of feet)--they're both in a plastic box reserved for small doll parts. However, I think I need to either punch air holes in it, or use something else, because the resin smell builds up and could knock a person out.

7. I lost (without even knowing that I *could* lose such a thing) one of the internal leg nuts of my DD Asuka's skeleton. I heard something jingling around inside the leg for several weeks but didn't notice any difference, so I just let it be. Then, the jingling stopped for some reason. It took me a while to figure out it had been a nut - the affected leg wouldn't stay up as well after losing it, and that was my only indication.

Since the nuts are impossibly small, I've never found it and Volks doesn't sell replacements; I've made do with a slightly thicker nut, but it's not an ideal solution because it's much harder to fit in and out of the leg. Lesson learned: if your DD starts rattling, do surgery right away and rescue that loose nut!

8. I've lost the feet of my Batchix Nansook. She has small feet without details for shoes and also real-looking feet. The real feet disappeared immediately after I replaced them with the shoe feet and I haven't seen them since. They're here somewhere, I am sure, but where?

9. One of my dolls lost a finger once. I found it (literally) years later, underneath the bed in my old bedroom at my parents' house. Of course, by that time I'd already sold the doll...

10. I was giving a new Luts doll a thorough inspection. I'm so used to Volks dolls and I didn't realize that Luts used plastic knobs instead of metal hooks. So when I pulled the leg to make sure the doll was nice on the inside of her joints ... the string came undone and the leg bits FLEW off.

It took FOREVER to find one of them. It was somewhere really obvious, but I don't quite remember where it ended up being (as in, it was INSIDE the doll or some crap). A fine event for the first day of a new doll.

11. My friend lost her Breakaway's hand in the sand at the beach on New Years Day. If I hadn't looked down as we were leaving he'd be missing his "Grabby evil laugh hand".

Personally, I've never lost a part. Mostly because all my parts are attatched. I don't have extra goodies (*sniffle*)

12. I lost my Latidoll Cara's headcap. @_@ The magnets are SUPER weak, and one of my coworkers at the fabric store I worked at wanted to see her. I took her, showed my coworkers, then put her in her carrier bag and went back to my car and drove home.

Well, when I got her out... Her headcap was completely missing. I searched everywhere, even going back and trying to look between the aisles. I assumed it must have either been picked up by a kid, or rolled between the walls and was lost forever. I ended up selling the head, as a practice head.

TWO MONTHS later I was getting something out of the back seat of my car, and saw the headcap wedged under the passenger seat in the back. >< Thing is, I'd moved the seats all over and reached under there probably ten times trying to see if somehow it had fallen out of the bag when I finished zipping it up in the car.

....Thing is, I know I re-found it, but moved after I did. So... I'm back to not being sure where it is. XD Not that it matters now.

13. My cats have stolen my dolls eyes before (off the table, not out of the doll's head)

14. My cats love Tinybear wigs, of which I have, um, maybe four thousand?
      I lost the other set of hands that came with my Queen Ellie Sooah. I was certain they were in her box, but no.
      To make matters worse, I sold her, and am still hoping the hands turn up so I can send them to the nice person who bought her. Embarassing.

15. I wonder if I can remember all the stuff I've lost. XD

I had my former Machina at school and didn't look back when leaving the room and hearing a clatter. I got home and her headcap was missing. @_@ Luckily, I called the teacher and she said she picked, so I got it back the next day.

If I have spare hands (which I do for two of my dolls) I only ever know where one is... You'd think that, when I find the match, I would say "Hey, let's put this with the other one," but for some reason I always set it somewhere and forget where. x.x

When doing faceups for other people I keep everything together, but when doing them for myself I tend to have a head in the faceup room, headcap on a shelf with eyes in it, body somewhere in my room... I've had to delay putting dolls back together because a hand or headcap was missing. x.x Luckily, I've found them every time.

I was out of town and had my Johnny Depp MiniMee with me. His eyehook popped out of his hand causing his arm to fall off. When I got back home and went to put him together, the lower part of his arm was nowhere to be seen. I was terrified it had fallen out in to the snow when packing the car. A month went by and I finally found it... under a trunk on the other side of my room. :?

Eizou has a little metal bar holding her headback on. When she left for a faceup, I put the bar some place safe. So safe that I have yet to find it... Luckily she is a hybrid that didn't come with said bar, so I cut another one out of the same wire I had used for the first one. ...of course when I went to do this I couldn't find the wire. Apparently I had looked over it at least ten times before finding it a few days later.

16. I lost a headcap magnet - put the doll in her box, closed the lid, opened the lid a couple of days later to find the headcap hanging loosely. Searched the box up and down, but no sign of the magnet. I'm still slightly puzzled by that one.
      And lost Supia's head bar - had to make a new one by cutting a nail to the appropriate size (no wire in the house, but lots and lots of other metal things), because the S-hooks just fall through the hole in her head.
      I tend to loose all sorts of art supplies - brushes, erasers, needles for glass beads, sketch pads...

Thankfully, haven't lost any wigs, hands, legs, shoes... so far. But I only have a small collection of those.

17. The tusk on the Elfdoll edward fell out. I looked high and low, and finally found it in the vacume bag. It was very troublesome and keeps falling out.

18. My best friend managed to lose a tongue from one of her Minimees in her room for a few days. :lol: I'm just amazed she found it again.

19. I don't think the point of this thread was to create fear.
      But sometimes hearing other peoples stories can help us
      prevent similar situations, or just be more cautious.
      Obviously there are things (like bad neighbors!) that cannot
      be foreseen or controlled.

I've only ever taken my puki Trinney out with me and
      she stayed safely in her box, but I recently ventured into
      buying my first SD, my Soom Chrom, and with him
      came my first wishes to take him (when he arrives..)
      out for photoshoots. Because bad things do happen,
      I decided that I would stick a note inside my Chroms
      head. Because the average thief wouldn't be aware of
      headcaps, I would have my phone number, use the
      word REWARD and state that by seeing the note it
      meant the doll was not taken lawfully.

One person said that everyone doesn't know what
      a bjd is, another person said "but they do look expensive"
      it's also the point that bjd's are still somewhat of a secret,
      they aren't all over the news or sold in regular stores.
      If I saw one out in public I would try to ask whoever had
      it questions but there are also people that would simply
      see something unusual...and want it by any means.
      Yes, those people do exist sadly.

There's nothing wrong with being prepared.
      Hysteria is your choice;)

20. The note idea actually isn't a bad one.

Unless I'm going to a meetup close to home, I usually leave MiniRyuichi at home, since I've lost things off of him before. I'm just not a tiny person.:sweat

I take Ryuichi everywhere, and I have to admit that I've had muggles say, "Just by the way he moves, he looks expensive." Its creeped me out a bit, but since I never let him out of my sight and rarely out of my arms while in the muggle public, its okay.

And in the state I live in [Ohio, I drive all over the state to meetups], he's becoming pretty well known, so when we go to meetups, I'm more worried about him losing his hair than I am about him being taken. I know our BJD friends would probably jump and beat down any stranger that would try to take off with him, just like I'd do for their resin!charges!:) I pity the fool that would DARE to try taking anyone's doll while at an Ohio meetup! They'd probably end up hospitalized!;)

Ryu