1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Love at first sight turning into feelings of blah

Nov 7, 2008

1. I felt this way about Notdoll Lucy. The first promo pictures and face-up I saw seemed so cute, but as I looked at more and more dolls, her body started to seem too awkward and the more extreme faceups have made me realize I actually dislike her face. She looks too hurt for my taste most of the time. I think I also dislike the proportionally large eye sizes often used for tiny dolls and this makes me lose the feeling of "love at first sight" if I see too many pictures with eyes so large you don't really see any whites.

2. Tons of dolls. I had a whole wishlist, probably about 25 dolls long, but then when I quit my job and took a step back and really took a critical look at it, nearly all of them were dolls that I realized weren't as in dire need of bringing home as I thought such as DIM Rain ( found a new mold, Musedoll Re-Che that fits him much better), CP El ( also found Little Monica Kliff that works SO much better as well ), CP Yder, B&G Sunny, Iplehouse Louis...and those are just to name a few. Honestly, I had trouble even remembering them because they don't even really matter to me that much anymore. But that's at least one perk to not always having money on on-the longer you have to wait and really value what you earn, the more time you have to really figure out who you absolutely love and who else is just a pretty face.

3. That happens to me a lot too, but almost exclusively with limiteds and uncommon dolls, since there are usually few or no owner photos to go by and glossy, photoshopped company pics can give a much different impression. So yeah, if I fall hard for a doll I tend to either love 'em even more in owner pics/in person or just be totally unimpressed after awhile. That happened to me with Delphine -- I fell in love with her in the company pics but when I saw owner pics let's just say the honeymoon was over. XD And sometimes its something about the doll's resin or body that isn't immediately obvious that makes me like it less.

That's the beauty of taking time to save up and buying a standard. If you need time to save up then you also get time to think and ponder what doll you want, and look at lots of owner pics. :)

4. No, not just you.

I had a major desire for an DOI Luke when he first came out. Haunted the website, saved, plotted, got all worked up, decided he'd be my first, I nearly cried when he sold out shortly after release. Now he isn't anywhere on my 'to buy' list.

I live in terror of the long wait between ordering and delivery precisely because of this.

On the other hand, there are a load of dolls I had no interest in at first and then fell for big time.

5. BTW

your hong and the tan hong (and there is one or two more but i cant remember who they belong 2) are the ones i like. =] and the ones i dont like have all been bald and face up less so im thinking (or more like hoping) that its just face upless, and wigless that make him seem so strang to me cuz he is such a gorgous doll

6. That was the new SOOM Euclase for me. I was just SO in love with his promo shots, and decided to save up and order him. But...the more I looked, the more I realized gray was not the skintone I wanted. I thought I'd get him in the white tone they would give him. Of course, as soon as he was released JUST in gray, I was frustrated and simply found more bad things about him (bad, as in things I didn't care for). With the currency flux, I just didn't justify spending so much for a limited doll that I didn't like 100% and just saw flaws. After seeing the gray resin for the Onyx doll I just knew I wouldn't like Euclase.

So yes. I was frustrated, but soon a chance allowed me to bring home a limited doll I thought I would never get- I'm currently waiting on my Elfdoll Vampire Red. ^_^
      So in the end it worked out very well, despite great disappointment at the time.

7. Everyone has it really, and it's not just with dolls either. Yeah, I desperately wanted a Supia Rosy, but there was something that I didn't quite like - figured it out, decided I wasn't gonna buy her and my wallet is soo much happier :O

8. I agree! I totally LOVED her company photos but I've been realizing that it was just her eyes that did it for me. Now I just want the eyes for another one I'm getting.

9. Totally! At first I thought Euclase would be perfect for a moon spirit I have been planning to shell in the future, because of his bird feet. But the more I looked at him, I just couldn't get past how much I didn't like his face. I even backed out of splitting with someone for him just for his feet because my poor Sard barely gets played with as it is because of his weird feet, I don't need another one at the moment who will just be on a stand all the time. :(

It's a shame. I think a lot more people would have bought him had he had more color options, but the grey resin turned a lot of people off.

10. This happened to me. I loved the company pictures and bought her on a whim while waiting for my first doll to arrive. She just wasn't the same thing in person. Luckily, she found a better home!

11. I had this happen with DZ Cherry and DOT Sha. I ended up not getting either one. I still like them, but it's not the same feeling I had before.

There are a couple dolls, however, that I'm still in love with. Soom Io, Iplehouse Silvia and Akando are all on my list and are staying there. Although, it's an either or situation with Io and Akando.

12. I've fallen in love with a lot of dolls but they won't serve any purpose for my story so I wont get them. It's sad though. I did fall in love with a few dolls but they look NOTHING like the owner pics... the ones that are the most deceiving are Dream of Dolls. The Bee-A and Too look gorgeous on the website but all the owner photos even with the default faceups, they look NOTHING like whats on the website... *_*

It keeps me at bay haha

13. Haha thats me. Cept I get the money before im disenchanted.

14. Mm....I had started feeling that way about one of my boys, and he was on the marketplace for awhile until I gave him a complete make-over, I sanded his eyes into a slightly different shape and sanded his bulging forehead down. a brand new face-up was done and new eyes made him into a different looking doll so I'm keeping him.

Sometimes it takes a change to re-capture the magic.

15. It has happened to me a couple of times.
      I can't even remember which dolls!
      I think sometimes it could just be that a certain photo is appealing but after seeing the doll from different angle I realize it is not my "type".

I can only remain interested in a doll if it fits a character or begins to develope one otherwize I just don't want to spend so much on it.

16. Oh yes ;) I make 'want lists' too, but instead of becoming disenchanted with all of them after a period of staring, I'll have an absolute favourite from the list for a few days, look everybody over again, do some more research, my favourite will change to a different one for a couple more days, and so on and so forth, bouncing around to all the ones in the list at least three times, if not more *_* What's worse is that while I'm doing this, I'll keep looking around at doll websites, and so help me if I find -another- doll to add to the list..... (I have weeks and weeks to save for these things, so I've got a lot of time on my hands)

17. i reall have the similar feeling when i compeleted face up of dollfie in handing. what on his face is my heart and soul. when i wake up next morning , he rush into my soul ...

18. With my dollzone cherry, it was also love at first sight at the dollzone dolls. But back then I was afriad to order a doll from foreign countries, so that's why I only looked at dollzone. And I found her the most beautiful of the dollzone dolls.
      When I got her home, I was very happy, but after a while I got annoyed by her looking and later I got also the blah feeling.
      This is a bit solved to make a complete make-over. After that I found her pretty again, but still I find her less pretty than my other dolls. :(

And I also really wanted a luts delf soony. I found her very cute and such, but when I looked at more and more pictures, I also got the blah feeling so I removed her from my wishlist. I'm glad I had not ordered her yet.
      (I am bad at selling dolls, so I would be stuck with a doll that I do not like)

19. Volks Isao and Iplehouse Soo Ri. I really wanted both of them, especially Isao. I came close to buying Isao a couple of times, but something always stopped me. In the end, I guess I didn't really know what to do to either of them to make them mine.

I look at their pictures whenever they come up and I've seen some nice ones, but I'm glad I didn't get them in the end.

20. I really wanted a DZ Wilka, but when Dollzone stopped selling him while I was saving, I got all bummed. >_> Then now they have Wilka again and now I'm completely unfazed... I guess I got over him.