1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Love at first sight turning into feelings of blah

Nov 7, 2008

1. This doesn't often happen with me. But I think it's one of the GOOD things about having to save up for a doll... Dolls should NOT be impulse buys! Often people have to buy on impulse if the sale is limited. That's one of the tricky things about a limited anything... It doesn't give a person time to really think and consider; they have to make a quick decision. Companies LIKE people who buy-on-first-sight/love! But really, it's not a great idea, as you can see by the way people have had second-thoughts about dolls they thought they loved!

Time and falling out of love can save a lot of effort and money!

2. One thing I've noticed with me is that there are some dolls that I love at first sight...and I usually fall out of love somewhere down the line. Sometimes it's a day or so later, other times it happens after I've owned the doll for several months.

And then there are the dolls that I don't care much about/only like a little at first...but the love grows over time. :) And I never fall out of love, because it's still going!

So I try to take it very slowly nowadays. Owner pictures really are the best. I look at ones from good photographers to see their overall potential, but I also take care to look at photos taken by less experienced photographers and less experienced faceup artists...sort of like, "what's the worst that can happen?" Because anything can look gorgeous in the right hands...but if there's a doll that looks good to you no matter what, then you know it's a keeper.

3. It happens now and then. ^_^ Usually it's a combination of not fancy the sculpt anymore and the character I have in mind (always have a character in mind for the doll I intend to bring home) changing. As it is I have never lacked other options in my BJD wish list to chose from though. XD

4. during my first saving up periode when I knew I really wanted a BJD, but I did not know which one, this happened to me a few times.

with buddydoll's Mars & CP Soony

5. Yes. I'll see a doll on the main site and think that it's beautiful and then see owner pics and I end up not liking the doll anymore. And a lot of time I go back and forth because I'll see really good owner pics and beautiful face-ups and then see bad owner pics and bad face-ups and I'll think the doll is ugly.

6. im lucky.. my first doll i loved i got and hes more cute than the site pics

7. Yeahh! Most definitely * - * that's why I never buy a doll until I've wanted them for a while and have looked at them a lot * - * usually I look up pictures with different face ups n what not to make sure that I reallyyyy want them because if I did get them and ended up not liking them, I'd feel a bad TT

8. This happened me with Akando xD I felt in love with the photos...but he's not for me when it was on my hands u.u

9. It's not just you - and if your feelings change before you buy the doll, consider yourself lucky! I bought a few dolls in the past because I was totally in love with their pictures, but was so disappointed when I got them that I just about wanted to cry *sigh*

10. It's happened when i first started and still happens to me occasionally (sometimes i realise its the same sculpt that i haven't gazed at for a long time) though the feelings dont go down to "blah" level ^^

nowadays i've learnt to be more patient to wait for owner pics and save (for events, meets and bills XD ). then after awhile look around and have the joy to fall in love again (for the nth time lol), my personality is goofy/bubbly

edit: be wary of Soom XD

11. I was almost Soomed with Cuprit, because she looked very close to a character I want a doll for. Right now, I've got Dia picked, but Cuprit's features (particularly the nose) were a little more alien and appropriate (the character's a non-human). But she's very white and my character isn't, so I was saved. Still going with the Dia for now. It will be while until I have the money saved up and perhaps Soom will come out in the meantime with a monthly doll I like better. But I agree the limited thing gets the blood pumping and makes you think with your emotions instead of your head.

12. I'm having the same issue with Cuprit actually....I love her for a character (In which I was thinking Kum-ran originally) however I really don't want to make the character white skinned. (I'm probably just going to order Kum-ran in a week or two instead of Cuprit)

13. I had the same thing. DoD Ducan. I thought he was gorgeous but the more I saw him the more I realized I just didn't like him...=/

14. Luts Dion. I was absolutely IN LOVE with this doll for a short time, and now I have no idea why. ^^; He still looks pretty good from some angles, and some owners make him look great with the right faceup, but overall I find him a bit odd-looking now.

And Souldoll Hye. Although, in this case it's more like I realized she was too different in style from all the other dolls in my plans. I still think she's pretty, but now I keep noticing her asymmetrical eyes - which were a charm point when I first fell in love with her, but now seem like a flaw.

El and Lishe too, I suppose, but I swear every bjd collector is in love with El or Lishe for at least five minutes. I still have a soft spot for this pair of sculpts, but ultimately I'd rather look at other people's rather than own one myself.

Shirou Tachibana might count. I was never serious about him because he costs so much, but I definitely admired him a lot until the day that something about his eyes started to bug me... and then his lips... I still love his facial proportions, but I'll count it as a falling-out-of-love.

Oh, and Bermann. I was just caught up in the Bermann craze I expect. An interesting doll, but not my type.

On the other hand, I fell in love with Soom Sard far too late! By the time of his release I already owned a doll of a totally different style, my doll plans were too solid, I didn't have the funds, and for whatever reason I wasn't impressed enough. If I owned no dolls right now and I could locate one of these hooved wallet-killers on the market, he'd be a serious contender. But then again, maybe this is just like my Bermann infatuation round II - i.e., I'm only temporarily infected with the bjd comm's excitement about Sard.

15. Haha, I had that same thing with the Dollmore Kara Klum. I had a thing with the Luts Bory too, yet I'm actually getting him xD

16. I have totally experienced that...just recently I was quite smitten with Soom Spinel and Dollmore Lisa Rubik, but after some thought I don't think they'd really fit in with my group. I put a lot more thought into my wishlist and researched. I'm now a lot more interested in other Soom Super Gem molds that can be made into males like Dia. Moreover, for female dolls I would like to either get a Limhwa Luna (or another Half-elf) as well as a Supia Rosy.

17. This happens to me quite alot :sweat
      I wouldn't call it love, but I'll see a doll on their main site, all prettied up in their defaults and become smitten.
      Then after doing an extensive search for owner pics with different face-ups and outfits, I'll often find that the mold is just not my style after all. I guess that makes me a bit fickle, but it beats impulsive buys.

18. Oh I totally agree. I only have a Lati Yellow NS and I only wanted to keep to that size. Then I saw the new Gloomy Garden Green dolls and I was like *WANT* all that purple and black and punky style *drool* They only posted pictures a few hours before opening and I was like do I or don't I? I knew if I didn't buy it now I would miss out and probably never find them again like the earlier tan Senny. I bit the bullet and went for it but now I'm starting to wonder will the tan fit in? Will the Green size fit in? Will my little normal skin girl suit her tan skin big brother? They can't be love interests because the size is way off. Oh the dilemma.

19. I had a little bit of this experience with my Narae - when she arrived, she was so beautiful but then soon after I managed to aquire 2 unoa's - one of whom I sent to have a really nice face up. The unoas are so much better engineered and flexible, and thier bodies so gorgeous that I totally fell in love with them. So now my narae, while still beautiful doesnt pose as well compared to the unoas so I wonder whether any other doll will satisfy like the unoas. I also recieved a limwha limho mono boy and while his face again was adorable, the posability was so much worse than the unoas that I gave him to my niece. I miss him though.

I am waiting on a soom cuprit and hope the same doesnt happen with her.

20. Yep, I used to have a small 45cm doll, his face looked very cute. But it's not that I hated the doll or anything, but his head was way to small, so when I would sit him on a cabinet, I could hardly see any detail of his face. So I couldn't really appreaciate the doll unless I was constantly holding him and close to him looking at his face. So the feeling of appreciating him dropped. I am definitely a larger doll person.