1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

mainstream

Nov 20, 2005

1. P.S.
      On second thought, I am pretty sure that BJDs will never become mainstream mainstream. Not to the point where you could run into ToysRUs and pick up a few things or to the point where you'd see them on television commercials. Why? Because of American culture...only children play with dolls and adults who collect dolls keep them in cases as an investment towards their future. At least that's what I've caught from the American vibe...hey, I was only born here so don't blame me!

I think that the mainstream that we should be talking about as a possible prospect of BJD invasion is the doll community. I think that mainstream in that sense would be nothing but good. Simply because I think that people who already collect dolls could understand where we're coming from. ANd in that instance it would be really cool to be able to go to doll shops and see BJDs.

But I really doubt that BJDs will ever reach TRL status and the MTV generation.

2. You know....

I'm at a toss up between them becoming mainstream, and just -how- mainstream they become.

Quite honestly, if anime hadn't become at least somewhat mainstream, I wouldn't be able to find out about any new things that have come out, since I generally see it on TV, get disgusted, then have an urge to go and find the original to see if I'm missing anything ^^; (That's what happened with One Peice, saw the first four espisodes on TV and now I've gone and gotten the entire subbed series from eBay ><)

Also, if the dolls hadn't become at least a bit popular, enough to be on English websites, I would have never known they existed. So, in a way, it's good, because it brings people aware by the fact that 'Hey! There's something cool here you need to see!'

On the other hand, there's always the fact that you'll get the rip-offs, elistism, and of course, the plain dumbasses that don't know what the hell they're talking about but do so anyway ^^; I guess, what I'm saying is, is that I wouldn't mind them coming into the light, but maybe not so much so that you could go to Wal-mart and pick up one ^^;;;;

Please excuse the ramblings ><

3. I like AnimEgo, they even provide translation notes :) I _like_ to know the cultural background of things, if it's a doll, manga, anime, whatever. I'll take the "least altered" version in a language I can understand. (They made me buy a DVD player when they stopped making subbed VHS)

4. I think that's incredibly honest of you. I think I'm a bit greedy too.. I try not to think about it, but it is a part of it, isn't it?

5. This was my thought as well, even though it's possible I have a hard time seeing BJD's becoming really huge here because of American culture. Like you said dolls are mainly seen as children's toys or collectable’s here.
      I doubt it'll get to the point where BJD's will pop in places like Toys R Us or Target. Perhaps more like something similar to like a Dollfie Dream or Dollfies.

6. Why does it matter? I mean, in all seriousness. We like what we like and that's about it. Who cares how popular something is or isn't? XD

7. I don't care what's mainstream or not. Hell, I liked Pokemon. I ate Burger King kids' meals to get the toys, even. And I like that anime is so plentiful and easy to get nowadays.

And as for BJDs, maybe they'll be "mainstream" if they cost 1/4 as much. D= It takes a very specific disposition to spend all that money.

8. Eh. To be honest, mainstream stuff doesn't bother me unless either the quality of the product goes down because companies are trying to answer demand... or unless the new fans are annoying. An example of both at once on the topic of manga. I was browsing the manga section at Barnes and Noble and marvelling at the utter crap that they're bothering to translate now... and this preteen girl comes up to me and starts lecturing me on what titles I should buy. Uh, I've been into this for like, 13 years now. Piss off. There's nothing like someone who needs to flaunt that they know something by lecturing you on it... when you already know and have known for years.

Would I still collect/keep dolls if they became mainstream? Yeah. I'm not into it to be unique or whatever. I don't tell people I collect dolls unless they see them at my house or I met that person through something doll related. I'm into the dolls because I genuinely like them.

Would I continue to participate? Probably not so much. I'm not a big fan of huge communities/fandoms. I just can't keep track, and the cliques and petty rivalries make me twitchy. DoA at current is about as big as I can handle.

Though I'd be thrilled if there was a huge flood of people buying the dolls... and then the fad passing and the dolls being sold ridiculously cheap on ebay! :D

Sidenote: Isn't Hot Topic owned by Abercrombie and Fitch? Or one of those posh status symbol stores?

9. I don't think I'd really be happy to see a huge wave of dolls being sold on eBay..it would hurt to see all the abandoned children who thought they were going to be bought by caring parents :( I don't think it would make the companies feel very good either, to see their products treated so thoughtlessly.

10. I think it's The Gap. Oh, the irony. XD

11. I've always thought worrying about whether something became mainstream was kind of strange; as many people have already said, other people liking something shouldn't change what you like about the thing. On the other hand, if the thing itself changes because of market pressures, then yes, it's a problem that it became mainstream. Fortunately, BJDs aren't made in America (except Donn's, and he seems pretty interested in quality,) so it's unlikey that the companies will go quite as...ape...as an American company would in light of market demand.

I'd just like more clothes available so that I could impulse buy them at shops. :D Of course, I think my husband's relieved that I don't have more clothes available at shops to impulse buy. Heh.

12. Vicious, vicious rumour.
      Gap owns Banana Republic and Old Navy. Hot Topic is it's own company.
      Sorry, had to point that out. :oops:

Back OT:

I would like to say that BJD would never get mainstream, but I also said that about anime and JPop once-upon-a-time, and now there's an Anime Network and PuffyAmiYumi is playing in the Macy's Parade, so what do I know? XD

Personally, I'd welcome an easier way to get BJD and BJD-related items. I've already noticed that in doll stores people are starting to recognize the dolls (I had a really fun talk with some ladies at a store in NC), and I think it's great! This is the kind of hobby that will probably stay in the specialized stores, so I don't think we'll ever be seeing Super Dollfies in the display case at Hot Topic or Toys 'R Us. Similar items like the Teen Trends, maybe, but as long as Volks and all the other companies keep making what they've always been making, the quality won't suffer. And to me, that's what really counts: that we're still able to get the product we've always loved.

Really, I don't think there's anything wrong with 'mainstream,' if that's what you like. It's when people start pointing fingers and accusing others of being 'trendy' or 'posers' that problems start arising. Lord knows I've been accused of being a trend whore for working at GAP and being an anime fan. But hey, if you like something, you like it, right? It shouldn't matter if the rest of the world likes it too, or if it's only you. :grin:

13. Thanks for your responses, guys.
      I admit some of your points, particularly the loss of a personal feeling if the dolls were widely and easily available, but ... doesn't that already exist in the market?
      Let's take Volks, for example. I've never bought from them, but I've heard they're really nice to deal with - if you can get to their shops, which a lot of us can't. How is it less personal do order from a website than to buy from a store?
      If I remember correctly, Dream of Doll is the only company that has made-to-order dolls anymore. The others you have to wait for yours to be in stock, but with DOD, you order, and they make it for you.
      None of the other comapanies do that. (confirm/deny?)
      Someone else mentioned something I wanted to respond to, but I've lost it. Gomen.

14. Well, most of the problem I personally have with things 'going mainstream' is the age-old ratio aspect.

In any given fandom, there's a certain ratio of people who give the fandom a bad name to the normal people-- perhaps 20 to 80, as a random number.

If a fandom is small, there aren't many people, perhaps just a handful, that fall under this-- the people that you don't like or make you not want to be involved in the hobby. It happens to every fandom and any group of people, I've found.

But as something becomes more 'mainstream'-- meaning, more people are involved, the ratio remains the same-- but this being the case, there are now more than a handful of people whom you feel give the fandom a bad name or perhaps make you feel like you don't want to be involved anymore-- it becomes more frequent, perhaps.

This is the primary reason I dislike some of my more involving hobbies 'going mainstream'-- I find myself turned off by some of the people that get involved and my love for a thing being tainted because of reminders of these people. That said, I tend to somewhat distance myself from these things simply because I don't /want/ to lose my love for these things just because some people drive me nuts.

The more logical and perhaps less crass-sounding reason is that once something becomes more popular, it seems to become less 'special'-- if everyone is doing it, why is it special? And a prejudice forms-- such as in cases like Naruto, which is widely popular to a point people dislike it and the people who are fans despite having never seen it themselves-- they believe that because it's popular, it must not be special or good. I personally love the show and comic, though I can be less than enthusiastic about some of its fans (which brings us back to my original point...)

So, these are the negative reasons I can think of-- granted, yes, there will be more positive things-- the availability of accessories and clothing, more 'understanding' when it comes to your hobby, etc. Personally, though, I find myself more affected by the negatives in a case like this than the positives.

Ah, well. Though I probably come across sounding rude or elitest by writing this, please believe I'm not bitter nor unhappy with the state of things-- this is just something I've come to accept and move past whenever I join a hobby that grows as time moves on. If I couldn't bear with this fact, I'd hardly be sticking around, now would I?

I do love this hobby, and regardless of whether or not it does become 'mainstream', I will always love and cherish my dolls and the aspects of the hobby I do enjoy.

15. This is what I meant to respond to earlier.
      I just wanted to say I totally agree.

This whole "limited edition" huting wasn't what got me into BJD, and if anything pushes me out of the fandom, that'll be it.
      Does anyone remember when they were almost exlusively about customizing? I barely do, but it's one of the reasons they sparked my interest, but as soon as I got into it, that all but disappeared.

16. In all honesty, I highly doubt BJDs will ever become mainstream, at least in America. The biggest collectable dolls out there are barbies, and adults that collect them are generally considered (at least in my experience) weird. I took Tatsuya to school, and the only people who were found him cool were the asian kids who already knew about BJDs and some boys (but only because they could twist his head around 5 times). Everyone else though he was a "creepy, big doll" or were completely indifferent. At least in the teenage age group, BJDs would never make it, and those are the people most likely to have that kind of disposable income. BJDs aren't [technically]useful (Ipods) or cheap (music, MTV), they are a very expensive artist luxury. And how many 18 year olds do you see buying French impressionist works?

But, I find the whole "oh noez this is mainstream now, better find something less popular" rather hypocritical. By ceasing to be interested in something just because it becomes a fad just as fickle as the people who are liking it because it is popular? Like punks who wear the same old tired general costume and claim they're all for non-conformity. If something is really that important to you, shouldn't you like it no matter how popular it gets? I was interested in the bands Maroon Five and Fall Out Boy way before they became mainstream, but I dealt with the fadster and teeny boppers because I feel that they are truly good musicians, and will continue to support them until I genuinely find interest in other music. Think of it this way: if you're going out with some really nice, wonderful, but popular guy, would you give him up to the competition just because more than one girl was interested in him?

17. Just forget it.

18. I think it does have a lot to do with being fickle.
      Not in every case, but in a lot of them.

I'll admit, I'm not the most connected person, so I don't hear about a lot of things until they're big. My first anim&#233; was Pok&#233;mon. I didn't get into Lord of the Rings until my Dad agreed to take me to the movie on the condition I read the books first. I didn't hear about this "Dollfie" thing until I saw someone at Otakon '04 with one.
      Mainstream might bring a lot of idiot fans, but it also brings a lot of dedicated, interested ones, too.

19. Making something more accessable to multitiudes of people means lowering the cost of production, and therefore the end cost of the product. The amount of people into ABJD today is a number determined by the amount of people who are able and willing to pay for the dolls at their current prices. (for example, I'm not able to pay for a fcs tan girl, but if I had the money, I'd damn well be willing.) Apparently, the BJD market has room for expansion if the cost of the product is lowered, so companies are getting ready to do the natural thing and cash in. I mean, seriously, how many ABJD resin dolls would some of us have if they cost $50-$100?

The drawback, of course, is a loss in quality. Resin can't be used, because it's too expensive. I'm guessing plastic?

But I can think of some silver linings here. For one, resin isn't very prone to taking darker colors. If another material is used...does this mean my dreams of a beautiful doll of one of my tan or dark characters can come true? ^^ And also, I'm hoping that the faceup issue will be different: I HATE having to get a faceup for my dolls: I handle them so much it's pointless to get an expensive one, and I have no drive to do my own (have a nasty reaction to things you inhale).

And I have no idea who the heck Amy Brown is. :?

20. Ouch. Do you even own one? Who are you to judge people like that?

Yeah, I have Louis bags. I had them before I knew who Paris Hilton was. I choose to scrimp and save for them because I want something that will last, not some piece of crap from KMart.