1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making vs Buying

Jul 4, 2016

1. Both... On one hand I really enjoy making clothes for my doll but sometimes I am not very satisfied with the result :(.
      For example, I cannot make shoes so I'd rather buy :).

2. I do both. I buy to support people who are in this hobby and especially if it's something that I like. I make other things I know I can make and have time to make. Lately I've been buying more because I haven't had much time to craft.

3. Making because it gives me the satisfaction of being productive and it makes me feel proud to see my dolls wearing something I made no matter how much it sucks :lol:

Having said that, I have very little time to do anything so I have to buy them and spending money is never enjoyable for me. I wish I could have time to learn how to make wigs, eyes, and clothes.

I have only made 1 outfit for my first doll (shirt, shorts, boxers, socks) when I got him but I had all the time in the world to make it and I did it all by hand. I enjoyed the process a lot. As of today - due to work, college and other things - I have 0 time to do anything. =[

4. I'm definitely more of a maker, though I always buy eyes, since I can't make glass ones myself. XD And I usually buy shoes, since up until recently I haven't had the space to really go at making shoes. I've bought a lot of small props and furniture over the years too, but again more from a lack of space and materials than ambition to make it myself.

5. Making, though the statement on my credit card acct says otherwise. I make most of the clothes for my dolls, do my own face ups, I make some of the props/accessories, and I'm looking into making wigs. I still buy a lot - shoes, eyes, wigs, socks, some props/accessories, and the dolls themselves. My hope is to get good enough with the things I do make to completely fund the things I don't make.

6. I'll go with buying. As much as I wish I could sew my own clothes, I feel like nothing would turn out like I envisioned. I'd probably spend more on material trying to sew one thing than just buying haha so I think I'll buy everything

7. hmmm both, i love to make stuff, but im terrible at making complex clothes, so for clothing that is very detailed, i buy it; otherwise, il make it!

8. I prefer to make my dollies clothing and to do their face ups. Modding I'm not to great at and now that I have the proper mask I might just jump back into that aspect. I know that I want to try to make a wig, it doesn't look that hard to make but then again I'm a crafty person and crafting to me is a huge stress reliever. I guess that's why I love this hobby so much because all the customization you can do with your dollies, let alone taking pictures are awesome!

9. I've made props and accessories in the past. My sewing skills are not that great yet, so I would probably wind up buying those for at least a while until I can figure out ow to make clothes for a doll. One day when I get my doll, I think I would really like to try some of the outfit projects others on DoA have done.

10. When I was a little kid, I always hated colouring books because if the picture wasn't completely all my own creation I didn't get the point. With something like dolls, I feel kind of the same way. I do have two dolls that I bought, and I could totally see buying one of those fantasy full package dolls as they're basically a complete work of art in it of themselves, but I don't feel the same about them as I do the dolls I've made myself to be honest.

11. All my stuff looks terribly "home-made," so I end up buying a lot. XD I'd like to get to the point where I make my own stuff, including the very dolls though!

12. It depends on what it is
      I'm no good a sewing unless it's something fairly simple
      But I'm pretty good at making wigs and props ^_^
      I enjoy making some things but others.... I'll stick to buying haha

13. I love to knit and crochet, but I tend to get bored with a project before getting it done. Therefore most of my dolls' clothes are bought. Granted they ARE handmade, but I didn't do the Making! The rest of my dolls' things (eyes, wigs, props, shoes) are bought from various sources. As for the dolls themselves...well...I'm better at pot-throwing than I am doll sculpting.

14. I love the accomplishment with making clothes & props myself. Plus you can make exactly what you want. But I do keep a keen eye on the second hand market as well for good deals.

15. Buying, unless it was something I could make myself at a level that equals or tops the stuff I can buy.
      I prefer high quality, in-scale looking things over clearly handmade junk that looks like a 3 year old made it xD

16. I create. It is what I do. If I have the supplies or knowledge, I am eager to create. I can't make the dolls or eyes (well, can make eye chips for those that use them), yet, but never say never! I love making for my own dolls and for the dolls of others. It is a wonderful feeling to a part of someone's vision!

17. What got me into BJD (besides my girly need to have beautiful dolls, of course) was the appeal that they can be customized; I'm such an artist at heart and love making things, and BJD's encompass everything I love to do, only in miniature. So of course my answer is that I prefer making rather than buying, whenever possible.

I'll admit, some quality of buying can be worth it, some other artists have mastered lovely skills such as wig making that I'm still sorely inexperienced in, but I've taken quite a liking to doing my own faceups, mods when I feel necessary, clothing, jewelry, props, and eyes as of now. I have every intention to get better at wig making as well as shoes, and more miniatures. I love how they make me think outside of the box of my normal crafts, and force me to find more unusual and interesting ways of making things that are much smaller than I would normally do. Then if I can't do it, or find something I just love, of course I'll buy as well. But for me it's about trying it myself first at the least. :3

18. I like making a lot of stuff for my dolls. I think it helps them standout in the community. Don't get me wrong I buy a lot of stuff too, but when I do photos for a contest I always make sure they are wearing something I made them. Also when I make stuff for my dolls I feel more connected to them.

19. The reason I feel in love with this hobby is because it's so customisable, so I definitely go for making before buying. However since I'm also very new to this hobby, I plan to buy quite a lot of things in the beginning just to have some reference of construction and also getting new ideas, but after that I'll probably go off creating everything, and then I mean everything, on my own.

#crazycraftycreator

20. I think I enjoy both, even though I'm not really talented in making clothes or anything, I'm hoping to get good in sewing and possibly making wigs someday. Who knows, I have time to learn.