1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making vs Buying

Jul 4, 2016

1. If I see something I love I'll shell out some cash for it. But when it comes to clothes I think buying patterns and materials is cost effective and you can customize to a whole new level.

2. I would love to make my own things, but I don't have time or patience, that's why I always buy clothing/wigs/eyes and never make anything

3. Same here. I work three jobs so time does not exist in my world lol

4. I rather make stuff but currently don't have the skill but I will soon. Until I know what I'm doing I buy stuff.

5. I want to buy things for various reasons. Firstly I am quite aware of my own limitations. I have managed to create some things but they are far from the quality that one can buy. Comparing them I always find my own lacking and I don't want my dolls to wear clothes I personally dislike. Secodly I work as a Webnovelists which means that I have a specific amount of words I need to write every single day. This puts some stress onto me and makes it impossible for me to actually have the time for crafting things. Third I like shopping. I like scrolling the many shops to find the outfit I think will fit, the eyes and the wigs. I don't like shopping for me, but shopping for my dolls is lovely.

6. I love making what I can, but what I can't make or what I don't have the materials for, I will buy.

7. I prefer to make things for my dolls, but I will buy certain things if I think it's beyond my ability or I just don't have the time or patience to make myself. Sometimes, I think it makes more sense to buy from somebody else than to buy the materials to make it and be left with extra material that I know I won't use again. But, if it's to try something new, I'd probably do it just for the sake of how much I enjoy crafting. It really just depends on what it is, what's going on, and my mood.

8. I prefer making but there are some outfits that I prefer bought
      In my case its all about materials avilability

9. Anything I CAN make, I prefer to make, so that I can save my money for the things I couldn't do myself... which is not to say I haven't ever bought things I probably could have made myself, and not to say I wouldn't on occasion do it again-- I like to be able to support fellow doll seamstresses/prop crafters, and having some variety in, say, what fabrics are used... so sometimes it makes more sense to buy a simple shirt than to try and hunt down the same fabric and wind up with too much of it anyway. But one of the big draws of the hobby for me is how crafty it can be. I love painting and sewing and trying to sculpt (props, not full dolls! I am not quite so ambitious)... I love putting things together for myself and the feeling of accomplishment when you've finished sewing/crafting and you sort of step back from the work you've been doing and look and there's a thing there that wasn't there before. Sometimes it's frustrating, especially trying a new skill and having to build it up before I can really be happy with my results, but it's definitely rewarding.

(but man, there are definitely things I will ALWAYS just buy-- eyes and shoes I just am not interested enough in trying to make for myself)

10. i do not have my own bjd yet but i prefer to make as much as i can the things my doll needed 'cause it gives me a more satisfied feeling and uniqueness.

11. Without a doubt I prefer making....in some areas. I sell headpieces on Etsy and I started doing that because I made so many for my dolls that I didn't have room to keep everything. So, accessories I make.,,I'm still learning how to sew on my machine and I've found sewing to be tedious as all hell. I don't have the patience and usually end up pissed off that things aren't shaping up perfectly. Soooo, I buy a lot of clothes from other Etsy shops. It supports fellow artists and Etsy just has cool stuff!

12. I'm sort of testing the waters here - I want to do more making and less buying, and my other hobbies tend to be very focused on "hunt down every variation of $thing." Except, I looked at my shelves and got knots in my stomach, because it was too cluttered with things I didn't love! So, I want to make more things for my doll, and I'm hoping that I learn enough from him to start making things for my other collection, too.

I enjoy the process of crafting (whether it's human-scale cosplay, painting custom miniatures, or what) so I'm already planning not only my doll's aesthetics, but gathering supplies for a piece of furniture and sketching up outfit ideas. So far, so good; he's the most inspiring hobby purchase I've made in several years. :D

13. I'm too much of a cheapskate (lol wrong hobby to be in, right?) If I think I can make it, I will try. If I don't, then I will put off buying it until I completely forget about it.

14. Mostly I make things, for two reasons: I really like making things, and no one sells what I would want to buy.

15. Definitely buying, although I have made clothes and dolls on occasion. Making is my full time profession (not dolls though), and when you do it 8-12 hours a day it is really, really nice to get a break from it. And I like to support other people's work:).

16. I buy everything. I'm disabled, so I can't sew or bead anyways.

17. I've already started buying some basic things for when I first get my girl, but after that I want to make! Unless it's something I don't want to bother with like knitting or crocheting and possibly shoes, I want to make it myself because I love being crafty. I think wigs, eyes, and clothes will be really fun! And I'll still buy if I see something special.

18. I just started learning how to use a sewing machine just this week and its been really fun making a few simple things for my doll. He is no where near complete but I think its going to help me get used to him as he is my first.

19. I haven't actually received my doll yet, so I think to start off with I'll buy her clothes and wigs so that she won't be totally naked! However, once I actually have my doll to play around with, I'd LOVE to make her wigs and clothes myself! :D

20. In general I like seeing if I can make something first before I buy it (like even things for myself) If what I create isn't satisfactory, or I just found it too difficult to make, I then look into buying something similar to what I was going for. Of course, there are also random impulse purchases - like, if I happen to see something I just feel like is perfect for xyz, and buying it won't hurt the bank too bad, I just go for it. I'm always browsing Etsy, EBay, and various other sales places on the off chance something strikes my fancy. But when I can, I make things, most definitely.