1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making vs Buying

Jul 4, 2016

1. I haven't any prefer even if I never bought any clothes for them (I made all of them). For me it's more a question of "financial means"... I'm an high school student and haven't any job to earn money (too young), that's why I found this way to offset. :(

#61 Yu-kun, Mar 1, 2017
      Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    2. I'm more into making because it gives more options and if it doesn't come right you can think it's experience for the next time :)
      Also, the fact that I love making things and being in a design degree may have an influence on that:XD:

3. I prefer making--it's not always less expensive, but the process of making is actually what drew me to the dolls in the first place, and that's how I get my enjoyment out of them.

By making everything, everything looks how I want, which is an added bonus.

4. I think some times it may be easier and/or cheaper to buy things but making stuff for your dolls really does make you feel extra accomplished (does for me anyway) x'D

5. I have tried making doll clothes myself before, I don't think I have the patience or materials to create wigs or eyes.
      In the end I stand there with a failed project and buy something instead :huh?:

6. Most of the time I prefer to purchase it since I want my dolls to look professional and some of the items I'm better off purchasing because I couldn't make them look as refined. I do enjoy doing faceups here and there if I have a very specific look that I want to try to create, and I have sewn clothes for my dolls in the past as well.

7. Oh geeze, I have to say it's a mix. Some parts I enjoy making, wigs for example. But I don't like making wefts, sewn or glue, I just want to jump into the wig making.
      It's fun to learn a bunch of new skills, like sewing clothes, but running into frustrating hiccups contributes a lot to how I feel towards an element.

8. I believe I will really enjoy the making part of the hobby when I eventually get there. This is simply based on that most of my other hobbies are creative by nature :P

9. Right now I am just a buyer. I plan to try my hand at making some clothes very soon though.

10. I tend to prefer making things (clothing, props, accessories). I don't like spending money, I do like making things, and the majority of things I want are very specific/not popular/unable to buy. Fine by me, as I'm always willing to try new stuff to get what I want the way I want.

That being said, I have no talent at all for sculpting, so the dolls will probably always be purchased. If there's something I want that I know I don't have the talent/skills in, I'm fine with buying and/or commissioning (like suit jackets. Just no).

11. For now, buying! I'm not a very crafty person, and my art skills are pretty much nonexistent, so I know if I tried to sew or paint my own faceups, I just wouldn't be happy with it. I do really want to learn how to make things in the future -- faceups in particular -- but I also know there will always be artists I admire, who I'll want to commission. 8'D

Part of it too is I do genuinely get a lot of enjoyment out of the commission process! I've done it for art pieces in the past, and it's super fun.

12. I prefer buying most of the time, but I want to create outfit sets for dolls by me :)

13. I prefer to make my own items. It's because money tends to be tight for me, but I also love having something unique and original. I love to sew, so I really enjoy making clothes. I've tried making wigs before and they turned out okay, but I do tend to buy those instead. I'm trying to learn to make shoes for my doll since she only has 3 or 4 pairs that don't really go with any of her clothes, lol.

14. Depends on what it is. For clothing, I definitely prefer making. That way, I can get exactly what I want and with a perfect fit. I'm not opposed to custom work for armor/shoes/other such things that I don't really know how to do myself, though. I do intend to get better at shoe making eventually.

As for wigs and eyes, I prefer buying. I'm learning how to do resin eyes, but it's honestly quite a bit of trouble. Same with wig making. If there comes a day where I'm looking for something super specific and I just can't find it, I'll make it myself. I have vague plans to make a hyper-realistic wig, for instance. But mostly, I'd rather buy wigs and eyes.

15. Well, buying something sometimes isn't a crime, as a lot of props for sale are made by pros, thus are better than you could do if you're a newbie. However, making things yourself is so rewarding, and you don't have that kind of pride when you buy something. When you look at your work finally done, it can have flaws and problems, but you don't necessarily acknowledge them, because you know it was created with hard work, made with your own hands; and you can, and should, be proud of it, even if it's wierd and wanky.

16. I'm really bad at sewing, so i'd prefer to buy clothes. but i love to make brushed yarn wigs, i also find it fun to try to make the eyes, and i work with clay on a regular basis, so I make props, and i'm in the process of sculpting my own bjd, because I wanted a specific character of mine in doll form. so basically, everything except clothes.

17. The dolls are expensive enough. I also buy wigs and shoes. But clothes I make 99% of what my dolls own. To me that's the whole purpose of owning them.

18. It really depends on the item for me!

I've never been one to enjoy sewing, so most of the time I prefer to buy anything that isn't simple enough to make myself. (leggings, very simple shirts, socks, etc.) Things like coats, shoes, jeans and blouses... Eh, I'll leave that stuff to the professionals. The stuff I DO make is still honestly just out of necessity, since not a lot of shops even make doll Chateau clothes.

But eyes and wigs are things that I'm very reluctant to buy anymore, since they're so enjoyable to make. There's something so fun about making the perfect custom eyes for a new doll, so much more fulfilling and special than just buying a pair.

19. Buying is more convenient for me right now, for many reasons. I don't have a bunch of spare time at the moment, my sewing machine is in another state, and I haven't read up on all the nuance of sewing doll clothes. I do enjoy creating things, but for now, buying makes more sense. Plus, I've always loved supporting folks trying to make a living (or even a side hustle) out of art and creative endeavors.

20. I prefer buying wigs and eyes (considering beginning to learn to make wigs, and don't have the space for the setup that curing eyes would require) and like to make clothes. Though my ability to obtain doll scale notions to decorate my outfits with is limited, and if I see an outfit I like that can't be easily made myself I will happily buy it. Shoes are a pain.